Anyone else in a non-vegan household?

Mich4animals

Ok, so today is day 2 of becoming vegan. Whoohoo! No problems really other than the fact that the rest of my household consists of 2 vegetarians and an omnivore. (although we do not allow meat in the home)

Is anyone else the only vegan in their home? If so, do you have any tips?

Thanks!

I'm the only vegan in my apartment.

Everything seems to go over smoothly with my stuff. I generally use different pots and pans but my room mates very rarely cook meat in the apartment. I think it's happened twice that I can remember.

Also if you buy special vegan stuff maybe say "hands off" if it's something that's essential for your diet. There's nothing worse than not having bananas for your protein shake.

I am the only vegan in the house and live with 2 meat eaters which I have been friends with for a while. They respect what I stand for!!!

My only complaint is I have to smell nasty food once in a while and sometimes they throw my food in with their meats in the fridge. We also share all the cookware and so on - I wash the dishes either myself or re-wash if I am concerned and it is a real downside.

I will get my own pans soon - I'm getting iffy on sharing. I had to clean some egg crap off the counter this morning which I was not happy about. Once I get myself settled a little more in this new city - the hunt will begin for veg friendly roommates.

What I have done is: My own space in the kitchen for food and so on. My own space in the fridge and everyone knows not to eat my food. Buy your own pots/pans if you don't want to clean up after someone makes some cheese concoction in one.

It all comes down to respect make sure you have it...

Cheers,

Steve

Are you a mom Mich4animals?

I have been having fun coming up with Vegan recipes for my daughter that she enjoys.

Right now, she is a Lacto Vegetarian, but I'm slowly incorporating more Vegan foods for her. Also, I let her play around on PetaKids and another Veg website for children to peak her interest and expand her awareness. I think its really important that children (and adults) come to the decision to be Vegan on their own, otherwise it won't stick. I used to be a bit of a control freak and have finally learned that I don't have control over anyone other than myself, and that its most effective when people think they came to the conclusion on their own (with some gentle manipulation tactics on my end ha, ha)

My fav recipe I've come up with so far for my daughter is Vegan mashed Potatoes and she loves 'em. Potatoes with skins on, plain soymilk, salt, pepper, vegan margarine, Yeast flakes, onion powder and a little water all mashed together. She loves 'em!!

I understand about having respect for a vegan way of living. My brothers soon to be ex never respected our vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. She would bring meat in to our house, and never cared that it might offend us. My other brothers girlfriend did respect the way we ate, and never brought it in to our house, and this was much appreciated. I know everyone has their own beliefs about what to eat, and I don't try to convert everyone that eats meat to vegetarianism, but will happily share any info about it with them.And I'm thrilled when they give it a try. I'm just happy that I live with another vegan at this time, and that my sister in law isn't around to contaminate any more dishes!

My roommates vegetarian and I've lived with omnis and vegetarians before. Generally my rule is I won't wash a dish with eggs or cheese (and certainly not meat). And if they left eggs or cheese on dishes and left them out all the time that'd be kinda gross but they haven't.

Also they've all been supportive of my veganism. Or at least not unsupportive.

I'm the only vegan in my house but mostly all of the food cooked is vegan thanks to my mom. If it were just the two of us I doubt she'd have anything vegan in the house. Most of the non-vegan stuff she cooks is for people at work and my sisters kids.

In my apartment I live with one vegetarian and three omnivores. One gives me a bit of crap about it, but it is mainly in fun. We all have our own sections for food and I always wash dishes before and after I use them. Those sponges with soap-filled handles are a godsend.