Testosterone Levels

Tucson

On nearly all of the popular bodybuilding forums (T-Nation, BB.com, Anabolic Minds etc), there are frequent discussions (especially in the over 35 sections) about testosterone levels. I have often read that vegans generally have a lower t-level than meat eaters. I realize the majority of forum members here appear to be in their 20s and 30s so this might not be of concern (yet). I was just wondering if any of you guys have had your testosterone levels checked and if so have you noticed any changes since becoming vegan?

Aye, mine fluctuate quite a bit, but i think if they're low for a wee while it's not a disaster. I still make decent gains during these times. I take maca and saw palmetto on and off, to boost them. There's a fair chance that some of the guys on the other forums you mentioned are people who've been using gear, which generally depleted natural test production and base level test over time.

If this is true its very likely a good thing. Steroids in meat are not really much different than steroids in a needs or pill...its just in smaller amounts. If meat eaters have higher testosterone its very likely do to that and if anything thats the only advantage a meat eat has in the gym but it'll be a disadvantage later in life.

I don't know if alot of this conversation is really accurate .

Lab work is the only way to know if your test levels are in a range that is optimal for muscular gains.

Yes, hormones are used in the production of most meats, so there will be trace hormones in the meat that an omnivore would eat. Whether or not this will have any effect is arguable. Although, one study did point to young women reaching puberty earlier due to hormones that were given to dairy cows and passed into dairy milk.

Whether or not soy increases or decreases test levels is unknown right now. There are studies that point both ways. Soy contains phyto-estrogens, which mimic the makeup of the sex hormone estrogen. Now how the body handles this is a point of contention. Some people say that the phytoestrogens get treated like estrogen in the body, and therefore decrease the sex hormone testosterone. Some people say that the phytoestrogens link the the estrogen recepters, and they block the real estrogen, which is thousands of times more potent, from binding to the estrogens receptors, thereby increasing test levels. The decreased test levels due to soy idea is more popular though since veganism is LESS popular in the mind of the general public.

I got blood work done over the summer, and I made them check all different kinds of hormonal levels. I just got the paperwork back, it was sitting at my folks house forever. I don't have it with me but I will certainly check it and compare my numbers with what I want them to be. I'll let you guys know.

I've never had my levels tested. However, if my levels are a little low, I certainly don't notice it. I continue to make progress in the gym in both strength and muscle size.

I recently began to use a herbal testosterone booster periodically. I seem to experience some good results with it.

God bless & Peace.

I'll jump in

Never had mine tested but I know my estrogen levels drop when I cut weight for comp. Thus even if my testostorone is not increasing, my % vs % would be higher. As this week goes on (comp is on Sat) I become right down evil. The few days prior to comp ... I'm waiting for someone to look at me sideways. I'm all of 104 lbs soaking wet for comp. and weak as heck, looking to pick a fight

I'm not sure that has anything to do with anything ... or if what I just said actually made sense (even to me) just please put up my constant rambling this week as all my thought processes become "blonder"

I've never had my levels tested. However, if my levels are a little low, I certainly don't notice it. I continue to make progress in the gym in both strength and muscle size.

I recently began to use a herbal testosterone booster periodically. I seem to experience some good results with it.

God bless & Peace.

I just want to say it is great to have you back sir! I'm also interested in the herbal booster. There are some cool herbal things out there. I used to be on like 10 different things at the height of my bodybuilding, and maybe it's time for me to get back on some natural things.

God bless & Peace.

I just want to say it is great to have you back sir! I'm also interested in the herbal booster. There are some cool herbal things out there. I used to be on like 10 different things at the height of my bodybuilding, and maybe it's time for me to get back on some natural things.

I'm just hoping he doesn't say Maca, because I'm taking maca, and would love to throw something else into the mix.

I never had mine tested and I don't think it matters. We all have estrogen and testosterone in us. Maybe if I started lactating and, going through a womens cycle and having a baby then maybe there is a problem. But I doubt that is physically possible. To me Estrogen and Testosterone are just silly scientific words for Sensitive and masculine. Guys range different ways. And I don't want to change who I am or what my body thinks I should be.

I never had mine tested and I don't think it matters. We all have estrogen and testosterone in us. Maybe if I started lactating and, going through a womens cycle and having a baby then maybe there is a problem. But I doubt that is physically possible. To me Estrogen and Testosterone are just silly scientific words for Sensitive and masculine. Guys range different ways. And I don't want to change who I am or what my body thinks I should be.

They're not just silly words for them. Women produce testosterone and men produce estrogen too. Testosterone is used in muscle building, it's not a synonym for "masculine".

Hey guys! I hope to be around more now that the book I've been writing is completed.

The herbal test booster I use is called Maximum Test by Maximum Nutrition Centers. They are a small company in the Boston area. I like their test booster and other products so much that I actually am a distributor for them now. If anyone is interested in purchasing the Maximum Test just send me a PM. Peace.

A recent issue of Men's Health (I think last month's issue with Jamie Foxx on the cover) had a bit about testosterone levels. It discussed lower levels in the U.S. compared to some other countries. There are lots of things that can affect levels: environmental factors, stress, drinking...

I have low testosterone levels from a medical condition--it's what led me to start lifting weights regularly. Since I started lifting last February, things have only gotten better, but I have a long way to go.

The only way to really know what your levels are is a lab test. Having low testosterone levels sucks, and if anybody has reason to wonder what their levels are, get them checked out. Low testosterone levels can really do a number on the body.

Christopher