The Journal of Veggie P (Melissa)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Harley... yes, I'm still taking in Xtend during every workout.

Thanks DV. Whole Foods is so overpriced down here, so I'll check some of the larger health food stores to see if I can find something.'

I don't know how many people peek into my journal or read my posts... but nonetheless I feel it necessary to fess up about something regarding my last post.

Yes, I suffered burnout and dreaded the gym and dreaded protein shakes and rebelled and have been pretty much been less regimented for the past month and a half and been eating more extintively and indulging in more flavorful items and having an extra carb serving here and there...

As a result I've gained anywhere from 15 to 20 pounds. No lie! And maybe 1 or 2 of those pounds were muscle, the rest was pure fat. I am not worried about getting it off, but I really think its important to come clean that just because I did something different doesen't mean it didn't make me fat... it did.

So I've decided I hate not fitting into any of my clothes more than I hate protein shakes and tons of cardio, so back to the blender I go I figure I gave my body a nice long 6 week break from being regimented, so burnout or not, I'm going back to the militant way I used to eat. I can't argue about what works for me... I can feel sorry for myself and pout about it but that won't get my ass any smaller now will it?

So I"m signing off now as I down my bland vanilla gemma shake and plain asparagus spears!

I wouldnt worry about the whole 20 pound gain, you can hardly see it in your avatar.

thanks Vegan Joe. Pazios...you said you're intimidated by women who are fitter than you anyways, so I'm sure you wouldn't mind the weight gain.. ha,ha

down a little over 2 pounds today...

ah, the magic of protein shakes and asparagus for dinner... and the 5am bootcamp classes don't hurt I'm sure! But I definitely can't get there by exercise alone. That I've proven time and time again to myself.

So I'm supposed to have a date tonight. I want more than anything to cancel because I want to be refreshed in the morning for bootcamp and because none of my cute clothes fit.

I'll try to focus on the positives... my face looks a lot better when I gain a bit of weight because it fills in my laugh lines and facial contours... and the fat I gain in my chest doesen't hurt either. There... that's my glass-half-full attitude! Why can't they just take the fat out of my butt and put it into my chest? Hasn't anyone perfected that technique yet?

I think I'll go on the date, but make it a very early night.

I bet some of your weight gain was water, especially if you haven't been watching your sodium intake. I'm currently bulking and was gaining slowly and steadily until our family reunion last week. I either gained 6 lbs this past week or I'm holding onto some serious water and sodium ( I decided to have one last "free" week and it probably set me back at least 2 weeks). I won't fit into any cute clothes within the next month, so I feel your pain. The good news is that it's a temporary situation for you and the memory of this time will likely keep you from repeating it! (And I bet you gained more muscle than you think)

Melissa, would you mind posting your typical meal plan for a week?

I think I suffer from 'carb sensitivity' like you mentioned, bread especially seems to cause me to put on weight. I try to eat pasta and rice very much in moderation too.

What are your main lean protein sources besides hemp protein shakes? Do you find seitan is a good enough protein source to enable muscle gains? I adore the stuff, but have read it is poor quality protein.

• 3 weeks later...
I bet some of your weight gain was water, especially if you haven't been watching your sodium intake. I'm currently bulking and was gaining slowly and steadily until our family reunion last week. I either gained 6 lbs this past week or I'm holding onto some serious water and sodium ( I decided to have one last "free" week and it probably set me back at least 2 weeks). I won't fit into any cute clothes within the next month, so I feel your pain. The good news is that it's a temporary situation for you and the memory of this time will likely keep you from repeating it! (And I bet you gained more muscle than you think)

Your sweet to give me the benefit of the doubt. But I promise it's fat, not muscle

Melissa, would you mind posting your typical meal plan for a week?

I think I suffer from 'carb sensitivity' like you mentioned, bread especially seems to cause me to put on weight. I try to eat pasta and rice very much in moderation too.

What are your main lean protein sources besides hemp protein shakes? Do you find seitan is a good enough protein source to enable muscle gains? I adore the stuff, but have read it is poor quality protein.

Seitanman, Can't post my exact meal plan because that is what I do for a living; create diet plans for people and since diet is 85 to 90% of the results that you see in the mirror, it is the most important aspect to changing your physique.

Lean protein sources are lots of protein powder supps such as Buckwheat Protein, Pea Protein, Rice Protein and Soy Protein, Tempeh and Seitan. To answer your other question, I do think Seitan is a good source of protein but I eat it in moderation (and tofu in moderation) because it bloats me if I consume it for more than a couple meals a day.

I don't think you suffer from carb sensitivity. Those items (bread, pasta, rice) make almost anyone fat when consumed in excess. Very few can get away with not monitoring their carb intake. Other than Zack, most of us have to watch those things

Yesterday,

Ball Squats - 4 x 90 seconds

Leg Curls 4 x 12

Calf Raise 4 x 15 (I think the weight was 160.. the only thing I can lift really heavy)

Straight Leg Deadlifts 4 x 12 w/ 60lb barbell

1 hour on Stepmill, armed with a gossip magazine to get me through the hour... my shameful little indulgence .... Jen really is over John Mayer .... LOL

now that my daughter is back in school, it is much easier to find time to train. Getting in a long cardio is something I'm still not crazy about, but I've found an awesome way around it, like yesterday.

Several of my clients are struggling to get their cardio sessions in, so I tell them we're going to move through training quickly so I have "them" walk 20 minutes and "support them" in reaching their cardio goals... when I'm kinda doin it for me too! hee, hee... win, win situation.

I managed a 1 hour walk at a very very fast pace between 3 clients and then was able to breeze through an intense 30 minutes on the Stepmill later without feeling guilty that I didn't do a whole hour. I'm going to do this as much as possible.

Today I'm going to hit weights hard. So far this week, I'm behind and have to catch up. Day before yesterday it did

DB Skull Crushers 4 x 12 @15 lbs

DB Bicep Curl 4 x 12 @ 12 lbs

DB Upright Row - 4 x12 @ 15 lbs

Gotta catch up... I may do upper body abs this morning and legs this evening but we'll see. I have extra time today...

Eating has been on track. Lost about 4 lbs and I feel great!

aaaw... thanks Jimi! I'm just tryin to put one foot in front of the other and get the fat off, just like everyone here

Robert... sure! if we have time and if we're not too tired. Money is really tight for me right now so I'm really trying to budget myself very carefully for the trip. I found a hotel but its 25 minutes from Golden Gate Park, but they said I could take the subway (or whatever they call that in San Fran). It's only $60 and it got decent reviews so I might jump on it... we'll see. I have 2 or 3 clients that owe me money so keep your fingers crossed. I'll go no matter what... its just a matter if I go totally economy style or upgrade slightly

Incline Press 4 x 12 @ 17.5#, 17.5#, 20# 20#

1 Arm DB Row 4 x 12 @ 25#

Crunches on Ball 4 sets 90 seconds

Close Grip Pulldown 4 x 12 @75#

Lat Raists 4 x 12# (at an unbelievably low weight... I've been having shoulder pain and its crazy how weak my shoulder has gotten because of it. I gotta build 'em back up)

4 sets Reverse Crunches @ 90 seconds

1 hour Stepmill with several 1 minute intervals at high intensity skipping a step.

Goin to have a picnic with my daughter.

Improvement:

I realized one of the things I"ve been doing is not finishing my Xtend during my workouts and I feel it has really compromised my progress. I'm back to drinking the full 4 scoops everytime I workout no matter what and I think I'll see results quicker.

Also water increase has improved. I was slacking on water and yesterday I drank a gallon and will again today.

Feeling on track!

I joined the vegan meet-up in O.C.but have never attended. They always seem to meet on Saturday and I'm not there.

Best Vegan restaurants in OC are Native Foods, Veggie Grill and 118 Degrees.... you should check those out one day if you haven't already

Just a 50 minute fast walk with my clients and some abs

Wanted to get more cardio and weights in, but it was a really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really stressful day......

Tomorrow will be better, hopefully

thanks for the hug Robert. still a rough week, but I'm plowing through.

good to see a fellow Stepmill lover, pazios! How long do you go for and how many days?

Harley... I'll trade you some of my cardio discipline for your diet discipline any day of the week!

I'm going to be hitting it really hard with training and diet these next couple of weeks.

When I say "hit is hard", that does not mean "lift heavy". In fact, since my primary goal is burning bodyfat right now, I'll only be lifting heavy on areas that are already very lean and need muscle like shoulders and triceps.

"Hit it hard" to me means making sure that my diet is 100% to the letter. Everything is measured. It means I put more thought into what protein, carbs and fat are the best choices for my body (usually the most unappealing and boring ones). Means that my water intake needs to be a minimum of a gallon. It means no skipping any supplements or EVER going more than 3 hours without food.

It means getting in a minimum of an hour cardio and really FOCUSING when I'm in the gym.

Today I had a really different outlook while at the gym and I hope I can keep this mindset for the next couple of weeks.

I had a couple of clients cancel this morning and I was GREATFUL because it meant that I could get in a good long workout when the gym was not crowded. Then I thought...wouldn't it be great if we always looked at it like that??? As having the actual time to workout as a gift. I went into the gym with so much more positive of an attitude... being truly greatful to have a large block of time to get my workout in. And tonight if I can find another block of time and I can find the energy to bring... I will consider that a gift as well.

Circuits:

One Leg Seated Calf Raise - 25 lbs ea leg

Leg Ext 4 x 12 @ 50 lbs

4 sets walking lunge holding 5 lb weight plate above head

Hyper Extensions isolating glutes only by relaxing upper back as I raise

1 hr 15 minute stepmill (all different sorts of stepping, especially focused on squeezing glutes and elongated my steps)

that's it for now... hopefully I'll get in a small circuit of upper body tonight and 30 more minutes of cardio if time permits.

Friday:

Lat Pulldown 4 x 12 @ 70lbs (could've lifted heavier if I could find my darn gloves

DB Shoulder Press 4 x 12 w/ 20 lb dumbbells (yeah buddy!)

4 sets Reverse Crunches @ Oblique Reverse Crunches 90 seconds each

20 minute fast walk

30 minute Stepmill

Saturday:

1 hour recumbant Bike

Sunday (done at midnight since I was on computer all day getting caught up on clients diets and training... UGH... no weekend for me! )

DB Chest Press 4 x 12 w/ 25 lb dumbbells (pretty proud of that!)

Barbell Bent Over Row 4 x 12 60 lbs

Ball Crunches 4 sets 90 seconds

30 minute stepmill

feelin good!

diet 100% on track.

today:

Ball Squats 90 seconds - 4 sets

Barbell Deadliftts - 4 sets 70#

Leg Curl - 4 sets - 40 lbs

Standing Calf Raise - 4 sets - 160#

have to get some cardio in after I train to clients. I am working so very hard for so very little money... something has got to give...

OH... did I mention I'm going to Sedona this weekend????? Very very excited. We're staying in Sedona and also seeing the Grand Canyon. Never seen either. Very exciting! Going with an ex-boyfriend who is paying for everything, so it was impossible to refuse! Our daughters are still best friends too and he's really fun to hang out with.

I am excited! Whose been to Sedona? Anything I MUST see or do?

um... excuse me, but I just did 2 hours on the Stepmill...

I could have gone longer, but I didn't want to burn my muscle....

Okay, tremendously proud... now I must have a protein shake

2hrs ! Awesome work VP. Was there a good movie playing at the gym?

That must of been 1500-2000 calories you burnt.