Sri Chinmoy, Athletic Spiritual Leader, Dies at 76

robert

I heard about this a couple days ago. This is very sad news for the ultrarunning community. Sri Chinmoy and his marathon team organized hundreds of long distance races. Although these races attracted top athletes and fierce competition, every single runner in these events is treated like a hero.

I have run two Sri Chinmoy races, a 6-hour race and a 24-hour race, and have volunteered at several others. I was thinking of doing the New York 6-day race this spring, and was looking forward to getting a chance to meet the Sri Chinmoy himself.

My husband went to his restaurant in NYC and saw him dining there once. He was with one of his ultra-marathon runners and Sri's devotees sang songs hailing his running accomplishments as they ate. Amazing! My husband still remembers some of the songs and we sing them around the house.

I hate to put down on a recently dead guy, but we ate at their resturant in SD all the time and I think they claims about him are crap. In San Diego they organized a huge free concert in San Diego and spent weeks promoting the event as this "music that was amazing beyond words."

The music was out of tune, silly and people were leaving in droves. I know this kinda mean to point this out but it left me thinking he was full of crap.

He did have a lot of claims that were outlandish which obviously tarnished his credibility. Just visit his video site and watch such things as his feat of lifting 7000 lbs. ovehead with one hand

Not to be intentionally mean and disrespectful, as I'm glad that he seems to have promoted a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, but there's a lot of weird cult-type stuff I've heard about his group that left a bitter taste in my mouth even though he obviously campaigned for some good things as well.

Regardless, RIP, Sri Chinmoy.

Well, there's no doubt that SC was a cult leader. At their ultramarathons, they would start putting up signs of the great leaders quotes towards the end of the run, presumably because people were getting exhausted and more susceptible at that point. They did a bunch of other wierd culty stuff and obviously SC hasn't done all the feats of strength and endurance that it's claimed. But as cults go it appears to be a pretty benign one. They organize ultramarathons, promote vegetarian/veganism, and are usually pretty easy going people. I wonder what will happen to the group now that the leader is gone.

I read a really long detailed article about it a year or so ago... I was linked to it from someone who objected to having a veg*n meet up at Perfection Satisfaction Promise. I don't still have the link though, or remember how to find it. I have to admit, it was pretty disturbing.

There is this, but it's mostly just allegations:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10132007/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm

There are some more links from his wikipedia entry.