Max

Crash

I'm really scared and don't know what to do. Max has been diagnosed with CRF since last January and we have been fighting it - giving him subcutaneous injections, herbal remedies, hydro therapy, etc. He's had his bad days and he's had his good days. Even though sometimes his back has been arched, he has seemed alert and not in pain and it seemed for the last couple of days that he was feeling better. But, this morning he didn't walk as much as he normally does and I ended up carrying him home.

He stays with my parents while I'm at work and my dad just told me he doesn't want to drink water. I am upset and am probably panicking over nothing - but just needed, I don't know....something.

I promised him that I would not put him to sleep, but if there's pain I've discussed with my vet that he would take pain killers, that may not be good for his kidneys, but would relieve the pain. What I am scared of is that if his kidneys stop, his lungs could flood - and I will not allow him to die that way. I just don't know what to do. I swore I would never put him to sleep - and I still don't want to and will not. But I will not let him suffer.

IS there something, any type of treatment that I'm not doing that can help him ?

I'm really scared and don't know what to do. Max has been diagnosed with CRF since last January and we have been fighting it - giving him subcutaneous injections, herbal remedies, hydro therapy, etc. He's had his bad days and he's had his good days. Even though sometimes his back has been arched, he has seemed alert and not in pain and it seemed for the last couple of days that he was feeling better. But, this morning he didn't walk as much as he normally does and I ended up carrying him home.

He stays with my parents while I'm at work and my dad just told me he doesn't want to drink water. I am upset and am probably panicking over nothing - but just needed, I don't know....something.

I promised him that I would not put him to sleep, but if there's pain I've discussed with my vet that he would take pain killers, that may not be good for his kidneys, but would relieve the pain. What I am scared of is that if his kidneys stop, his lungs could flood - and I will not allow him to die that way. I just don't know what to do. I swore I would never put him to sleep - and I still don't want to and will not. But I will not let him suffer.

IS there something, any type of treatment that I'm not doing that can help him ?

I'm really sorry to hear this. I had to put down my dog a couple of years ago after months of hesitating and trying to force feed her and treat her. Looking back now I should have just let her rest and sleep. I wish I could help more.

Edited by Veganitaliana

I'm sorry about your loss Veganitaliana.

I just spoke with my dad and he said he gave Max some water with a syringe and it made him feel better. My mom said Max ate his food and is following them from room to room.

I guess maybe my question is - at what stage would it be kinder to Max to let him go ? Right now he still feels joy in his life and doesn't appear to be in any pain, so it's not right now.

Hi Crash-

So sorry to hear about this. Back in July my dog Amy was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. She had surgery, but my vet wasn't too optimistic and said two things that really rang true:

1) he said "it's 'carpe diem' time" (and so it was trips to the beach, treats galore, and lots of wrestling on the floor);

2) he said "she'll let you know when it's time." And she did. And not only did she, but other "signs" pointed that way as well (if you believe in that kind of thing, which we do).

Hope that advice might help you as much as it helped us.

Hi Crash-

So sorry to hear about this. Back in July my dog Amy was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. She had surgery, but my vet wasn't too optimistic and said two things that really rang true:

1) he said "it's 'carpe diem' time" (and so it was trips to the beach, treats galore, and lots of wrestling on the floor);

2) he said "she'll let you know when it's time." And she did. And not only did she, but other "signs" pointed that way as well (if you believe in that kind of thing, which we do).

Hope that advice might help you as much as it helped us.

Great advice. You're right about them letting you know and also to make the most of every second possible.

orry about Max's situation. Sometimes you just have no choice. I've heard of people giving so many pain killers to their dogs and cats they they are basically vegetables. Sure they aren't feeling pain but they aren't really aware of much of anything. Imagine being high on morphine to the point just short of overdosing. Throughout this process you never know if your pet is feeling some type of mental anguish or not and if you give them a bit less you can't really tell if they are feeling extreme pain that you aren't aware of. Dogs and cats are very good at covering up how they feel.

Putting an animal through being euthanized is often better than allowing an animal to continue suffering. I know this isn't the case with you but quality of life is very relative. I've seen people put their dogs through extensive radiation treatment for their quality of life. More often than not it seems to be for the owners quality of life and I've seen dogs suffer terribly without the owners not thinking of themselves or their kids first...thinking of the dog last.

The only pain he has right now is from arthritis. The only form of therapy he is taking right now is subcutaneous fluids. His illness does not require him to receive radiation treatments (but I can't judge those who decide to give radiation therapy a shot for cancer). Elevated creatinine and nitrogen levels from CRF will make him feel like he has the flu, but his subQ fluids, herbs and hydrotherapy flush out those toxins from his system, making him feel better. We are trying to get those numbers down, so he doesn't feel sick and he does seem to be responding. He is alert and has joy in his life. I panicked yesterday as last night and this morning he walked by himself. He ate his food yesterday and wanted more food last night. No other organs seem to be affected, except his kidneys. Flushing out the toxins helps prevent any other organs from deteriorating.

When he is receiving his subQ fluids, he is resting on my lap and in my arms. I give him a vanilla pudding chaser after his herbal medicine. He seems to enjoy his hydrotherapy (which is 15 minutes) and after I blow dry his hair he cuddles on my lap.

Now is not the time. Hopefully it never will be, but if it is I will act in Max's best interests.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dog, Cornholio about a year and a half ago. His condition mentally had been getting worse and worse and one morning I woke up to him having a major seizure. We rushed him to the vet (who came in on call for us) and it was determined that he either had a brain tumor or some other kind of massive brain damage (not as the result of injury, as the result of illness or whatever) that was not curable. They could have done surgery, but there was very little chance that he would survive the surgery at his age (apx 16 yo). It was a tough experience, but an easy decision to make, as we KNEW it was his time to go. Even though it hurts to miss him, I don't regret what we did. He was confused and manic. Not himself anymore (we had just started treatments for doggie alzheimer's as that is what they thought he had up until the seizure). We did what was best for him, even though it was hard for us.

I definitely understand what you are going through. I hope that you are feeling better soon. Take care.

Ohhhhhh, bummer. Sorry to hear that.

I've found that since we put our dog Amy to peace, the things I miss are spurred by the things I remember so fondly. So in a way, I welcome those feelings - it really makes me feel her spirit. I hope your sadness is also tempered in that way - by the sweet and funny memories you have of Max.