hyopthermia

pamela

The past few weeks, since the weather has cooled down, almost every time I have went for a run, I end up with blue fingernails.

I am fine (not cold) while I'm running, and I'm fine immediately afterwards, but about 10 minutes passes and I start shivering and shaking and my fingernails turn blue. I'm told this is hypothermia setting in.

At first I figured it was because I wasn't changing out of my running gear fast enough, but last night I changed into something warm and dry right away and it still set in, just a little later. I usually shower right after, but last night I had to eat dinner first.

Is this what I should expect all winter? Is there anything I should be doing differently?

ugh, I remember this from last winter, not as extreme as you (with blue nails), but just feeling like I couldn't warm up for HOURS after running in the cold. I think maybe it has to do with cooling down too quickly after the run. I think it should get a little better as your body gets used to it. Best thing for me would be hot shower, dry clothes (2+ layers!), sip some tea.

I read fireplace too fast and thought you wrote fireman.

Then I reread it.

And that happens to me too. Not the blue fingers but being frosty cold after running sometimes. Especially if I don't hop in the shower right away.

ha! I definitely wouldn't turn away a fireman either! In uniform.... or not.

The blue fingers is what freaks me out the most.

Getting back on topic, ladies and gentlemen (although some of the ideas were cool), I, too, am finding myself to be more and more sensitive to the cold. I always have been, Italian blood is not made for Canadian winters, but since I've lost the weight I'm even more sensitive. And yet in some regards it's not as bad because my circulation is better and I can heat up quicker too. Weird, hugh?

... *thinks of a potential halloween costume* ...

I will take this as an offer.

Otherwise, I am sure Tashie would be happy to don a fireman's outfit for me.

I've always been cold, even when I had extra weight. I'm not Italian, but I'm definitely not cut out for these winters either. I practically hibernate.

So is the general consensus then that what's happening to me isn't really anything to worry about?

... *thinks of a potential halloween costume* ...

I will take this as an offer.

Otherwise, I am sure Tashie would be happy to don a fireman's outfit for me.

I've always been cold, even when I had extra weight. I'm not Italian, but I'm definitely not cut out for these winters either. I practically hibernate.

So is the general consensus then that what's happening to me isn't really anything to worry about?

You got it

Nah just run faster and pray that you won't freeze. I'm just kidding

Wear double gloves layers for the winter and make sure you keep your head warm. I know how Ottawa gets. Man that sucks.. Or if it's really bad you could try in door training. Which is just as effective.

Fireman costume eh?