Would like advice on my diet

Firstly, the last month or so has been a stressful period in my life for various reasons and my diet has gone out of the window a bit, often eating convenience food and even drinking beer a couple of nights a week. Thankfully the stressful period has passed and I aim to get back into the swing of things, both in terms of diet and training. I have put on a little bit of weight unfortunately but thankfully not too much.

I have started eating properly again and my current diet looks like this:

Breakfast - Organic museli with soy milk and a chopped banana, cup of nettle tea, apple, soy yogurt. Wholemeal toast with soy spread.

Lunch - Salad, with spinach, tomatoes, dressing, hummus and some soy meat strips or marinated tofu. Few pieces of fruit.

Snack - handful pumpkin seeds, more fruit.

Dinner - Something like seitan with veggies, lentil and veg casserole with added veggies and hummus, soy mince with potatoes and other veggies. I also am getting into quinoa and eating it with roast veggies.

Dessert - Soy ice cream and tinned fruit.

Any suggestions would be great. Am I getting enough protein to build muscle?

Training wise, I do a brisk hour long walk each day and bodyweight exercises such as push ups. I installed a chin up bar and do chin ups as well as hanging leg raises. I sometimes use my lateral thigh trainer for cardio and do ab exercises such as planks and crunches.

Thanks!

Allowing your body to get enough and the right nutrients is key

If you're getting enough calories in your body per day

you're getting enough protein

One thing you could probably do is try cutting out some soy in your diet. It looks like you eating too much of it.

Good Work . Keep it up

Tasha's right. If you don't feel hungry with what your eating and you feel energetic your getting enough calories and protein for the training intensity you train at. If you want to increase your intensity and weight gain faster you'll need to eat more but you'll know that since you'll be hungry more often. Outside of that you definitely need to eat more seitan for being seitan_man

Thanks for the replies. This diet doesn't really leave me feeling hungry, although maybe I could cut down on the soy ice cream due to the sugar content, it would also mean less soy in my diet too.

I am also thinking of incorporating a hemp protein based shake to up my protein and maybe more nuts, such as almonds and peanut butter.

As soon as I learn to make seitan from scratch, 'chicken' and 'beef' seitan will no doubt be coming out of my ears as I love the stuff

Don't worry about getting soy out of your diet...of course getting ice cream out won't hurt. But soy is more than likely much healthier than seitan is since wheat gluten isn't as good a protein source as soy.

Thanks veganpotter, do you think nutritional yeast is important in a vegan diet? I have just started adding flax again for the Omega 3s. It's also a complete protein I believe?

Almond milk is another healthy food I'm thinking of adding, although it's expensive and I may make my own.

I think nutritional yeast is great for anyones diet. I don't think its neccessary for a vegan diet(I went 2 years as a vegan without even knowing what it was and I was fine). As for the milk thing you should definitely consider buying a soymilk maker. It'll be a lot easier to make whatever milk you want in terms of clean up time and hands on time...plus it'll pay for itself quickly if you drink alot of vegan milk.

The nice thing about the machine is that you can make whatever you want with it...just be creative. The thing I like most is that after you get the milk out you get the bulk of the bean/grain etc. and you can make things with that. I like to make burgers with it.

I think nutritional yeast is great for anyones diet. I don't think its neccessary for a vegan diet(I went 2 years as a vegan without even knowing what it was and I was fine). As for the milk thing you should definitely consider buying a soymilk maker. It'll be a lot easier to make whatever milk you want in terms of clean up time and hands on time...plus it'll pay for itself quickly if you drink alot of vegan milk.

Hi Veganpotter!

Just reading the thread and was wondering what is a soymilk maker. Is it expensive? I drink a lot of oatmilk, and self-made almond milk.

Thanks

Patrick

It basically is a machine with a chamber for nuts, beans, rice, etc. There's a blade in the chamber that pulverizes everything in it and while the chamber is submerged in water the machine also heats it up. The chamber is also a really fine mesh so large particles don't get through working kinda like a tea bag. Then after about 15minutes you have hott milk. You can turn off the heater too if you want but it doesn't work quite as well for some things.

SoyQuick soymilk maker is the one we have and we've never had a problem with it. They Soyabella milk maker is supposed to be a bit easier to clean but it holds less milk