Website and Forum problem(s)

Richard

Hi everyone,

For some reason, there was a problem with the website and forum so we couldn't access them for a few days. There was some problem with a file, and a problem with something to do with redirection. I tried to sort that out, and now the site is available again, and the forum seems to be working - although we have lost a month of posts, and I think that people who signed up in that period also will need to sign up again. I will continue to look into it to try to find out if there's a way to recover those things. I don't know why they would have gone missing, since the problem was just redirection, and no files seem to be missing. Anyway, please be patient during any further updates which may need to happen, and sorry for the inconvenience! I am still puzzled by it, as it just happened out of nowhere for seemingly no reason.

Thanks Richard! I really appreciate your help and I know you stayed up all night working on this. Thanks so much.

I will be sending out a mass e-mail to "All Users" to explain a few things that happened.

It really sucks that "temporarily" we've lost a month's worth of posts, but of course it could have been much worse. And we "may" be able to find those lost posts and get them back, but I'm not sure. Time will tell.

Thanks again kind sir.

If you do recover the posts (from a backup of the mysql database would be the logical place to start) it's going to be hard to restore them is it not without overwriting any posts made since you brought the forum back up?

I think it will depend on the table structure that PHPBB uses and whether you can insert the old information into the relevant table without overwriting the more recent stuff and retaining the time/date stamp and unique identifier from the backup so they will then appear in the right order in the forum threads as if they were there all along.

If you want any help Richard drop me an email.

If you do recover the posts (from a backup of the mysql database would be the logical place to start) it's going to be hard to restore them is it not without overwriting any posts made since you brought the forum back up?

I think it will depend on the table structure that PHPBB uses and whether you can insert the old information into the relevant table without overwriting the more recent stuff and retaining the time/date stamp and unique identifier from the backup so they will then appear in the right order in the forum threads as if they were there all along.

Thanks dude. Yeah I have now done pretty much everything I can think of - as I don't have experience with dealing with the structure of boards / forums. I don't understand how anything could have gone missing in the first place, after the explanation that the webspace hosts gave, which was just that everything was being redirected to the wrong folder. In that case, now that I have moved the forum back over (every single folder and file) into another location, you'd think it'd just be the same as it was before.

It went back so far that I have to change my avatar again. I think it's funny though that of the 4,000 "missing posts", 1/2 of them are mine, Robert's, Potter's and Zack's.

I wasn't so much worried about a bunch of our posts since we've been here for years but I was really sad that people like beforewisdom, troze, and others had their entire profiles deleted

I'm still sad about what went down, but now we're working to change hosting sites, to ensure things are backed up daily, and we're taking more precautions, making website updates, and getting more capable people involved. I have a lot of computer programmer and engineer friends who are helping out with things, which is really nice.

Let's keep a strong push forward.

Thanks dude. Yeah I have now done pretty much everything I can think of - as I don't have experience with dealing with the structure of boards / forums. I don't understand how anything could have gone missing in the first place, after the explanation that the webspace hosts gave, which was just that everything was being redirected to the wrong folder. In that case, now that I have moved the forum back over (every single folder and file) into another location, you'd think it'd just be the same as it was before.

Do you run anything like phpMyAdmin so you can view and edit the MySql database that stores the forum information?

Do you run anything like phpMyAdmin so you can view and edit the MySql database that stores the forum information?

No, I don't know what that is unfortunately! I am not admin on the forum, so I don't know if I am even able to access anything like that, I am just moderator

No, I don't know what that is unfortunately! I am not admin on the forum, so I don't know if I am even able to access anything like that, I am just moderator

I guess it would make sense to have Richard an Admin since he runs the site! For some reason I hadn't thought of that yet.

I'm new to this computer world. My bad.

I'll get him upgraded soon so he can play around on our admin panel as well as the main www.veganbodybuilding.com website too.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this or if it's been posted already (did a search but found nothing) but I'll ask here. I've noticed that when replying I'm getting an error that the forum is trying to find port 110 and cannot. Very weird. I'll post the error after this but this has happened, thus far on every posting I've done. The post still goes through but this error happens every time. I have to hit the back button.

Edit: Of course, for this post it doesn't happen.

Tried several times to PM someone, and kept getting this message:

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out

DEBUG MODE

Line : 112

File : smtp.php

Usually when I get this error posting on the discussion boards, the message will still show up, but the pm doesn't show up in my sent box...

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Robert, Richard, et.al.: Just an FYI...you probably noticed this but you are getting *tons* of spambot account creations in your forums. I noticed about two months ago there were about 4000 members and now there are close to 10K. There's no real true defense against this as hackers get better against the CAPTCHA image verification, but it's been so long since registering that I don't remember if you had that set. I co-admin a couple of tech forums (vBulletin-based) and we have the same issues, but there are ways to mitigate them with minimal affect on new "real people". Let me know if you'd like me to share my experiences with this stuff. I feel like I've had to deal with it ad nauseum...

• 2 months later...