Transistioning to raw

Dann78

I am making the leap from the standard American diet to a raw diet I have been doing great for a while and now I find myself getting stagnated in terms knowing what to make and how to shop differently and noticing that this is somewhat more expensive. As far as expense goes I realize that over time I will get more effective with this different style of feeding myself. And if it is more expensive this way, so what I feel better, and that is worth more so I guess that what it really costs to eat.

I guess my question really is long could it take before one got as comforatable buying, storing, and prepairing raw food?

I feel like I'm learning to play guitar when I have been a drummer all my life. I still have alot of motivation to carry on I'm just curious as to how you veterans handled this many moons ago.

I don't think storing a lot of raw food is a good thing because its not all that fresh and basically cancells out a lot of the benefits. Beans or whatever you can sprout are great though because they don't take up much space at all until you sprout them...plus its super cheap and will save you tons of money if you get in the habbit of it.

I'm at the same stage of transition too. I make raw efforts for some days (10 being the longest in a raw), then go back to some cooked, then again raw. I definately find it more expensive to constantly buy fruits, but if the fruits are in season and not from far away they're quite cheap. I like shopping small quantities every day or every other day so that i don't have to spend alot of money and then, at the end of the week, have some fruits or vegetables uneaten...

I think small quantities is the key, for me at least...

• 1 month later...

It took me about 3 months until I got into the groove of raw food, knowing what to buy, how often to shop, what meals to prepare, etc.

I recommend having a few raw un-cookbooks around, they are great for when you are bored and want new meal ideas.

I remember feeling completely overwhelmed too when I started on the raw journey, but you learn as you go. You just gotta take it one day at time. You'll get there!

I recommend having a few raw un-cookbooks around, they are great for when you are bored and want new meal ideas.

Yes !! I just picked up a new one.

Alive in 5 mins. By Angela Elliott. It's Easy to follow, pretty pictures and the cost of the book was decent.

Be wary of the recipe books you buy, some recipes have a thousand ingredients and steps unless you don't mind that.

Raw Food Real World (pure food and wine nyc)

Juliano's Raw

are two books that are notorious for this. But let me tell you, they're worth it , you just can't make them every day, it is alot of work, unless you live in the kitchen and grocery store.

For more simple recipes, i love

Rawvolution (Matt Amsden, San Diego) Gourmet but not too involved

Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine (Gabriel Cousens), Conscious Eating (Gabriel Cousens) Alot of selection, many easy recipes that need no dehydrator for those just starting out...

As far as cost effectiveness, fresh can get expensive, especially for green smoothies addicts (like me), nuts aren't the cheapest either. But to go the cheap way SEEDS and GRAINS. (go for pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, quinoa, etc...)

Quinoa grain and sunflower seeds (shelled or unshelled but unshelled have to grow for a couple of days wheres unshelled can be good in 24-48hrs)are imo, they easiest things to sprout in the entire world, seriously. 2-3 bucks a lb of produce that keeps indefinitely until you are ready to sprout em, you can't go wrong....