Dude, I want to get my ass out of bed early and jog

Richard

Hi, you're reading my thread, well done!

I have trouble motivating myself to get my ass and the rest of my body out of bed in the damned morning and do some exercise. What happens is that each night I say to myself "Tomorrow you'll get up at like 7am and you'll go out and jog, in the freezing cold, then come home and eat breakfast for breakfast and you'll feel a lot better, and it'll help get you in shape". Then I set my alarm, and feel positive. Then at 7am, alarm goes off, my brain is in another gear, and I just think to myself "what is the point?" and I go back to sleep. What can I do to break this cycle? Maybe just making this topic will be like a taking off my shoe and throwing it against the wall and it rebounding and hitting me in my own ass so I will just get on with it. But has anyone got any motivational ideas for me to get this happening?

I want to do it in the morning because it will put me in a good mood for the rest of the day, plus there will not be many people around. I would be happy to do it any other time of day too, but I have trouble motivating that also. Any motivational tips would be appreciated. I am thinking of putting something near my bed to remind me to stop being such a doucebag. Like a picture of Daywalkers tight ass, to remind me of what I am aiming for

Having a goal always helps me. Not just to say oh I'm going to get up and run, or workout with weights or whatever but to have a specific goal of what you want to do, or where you want to run, or how long etc. Also just be dedicated, if I don't feel like doing some form of exercise sometimes it helps to ask yourself what you don't want. Like in 5 years do I want to have added 50 or more pounds, and do I really want to be in bad shape, not able to do fun activities just because I was not in the mood to exercise a few years before. And if your schedule allows, you could always try to go back to sleep after your run. Just my 2 cents!

That's a good idea about putting it somewhere so I'd have to get up, and maybe I could a picture of Daywalker's ass on the clock itself. I wish I had someone to jog with, that would be the pinnacle because then you both have to be there for each other and you feel obliged, for their sake, and it works out for both. Sadly, I have no partnorz at the moment.

I did really well with dragging my ass out of bed to run during the spring, summer, and early fall, but I just can't do it anymore. In fact, November/December is the hardest time for me to wake up period.

So I've changed when I run. And honestly, I still feel really good all the time. I thought not doing it in the morning anymore would ruin that, but it hasn't. So I run all different times of the day now. On weekends it's usually in the morning or afternoon, on weekdays I usually do one morning run (and go in to work late), and an evening run and/or a run home from work.

Maybe find a race to enter, and use that as motivation? You know, it'll make you get up and run so you won't look like a total fool at the race. Also, sometimes I use food as motivation. But maybe that's not a great idea.

I used to have a job where I got up at 5:30 am every day to be at work by 7am.

I did that job for years.

The keys to getting up early, without it being torture are:

- going to bed earlier

- going to bed at the same time almost every day

- getting enough sleep

Even if you can't jog in the morning you can begin working on it by taking each one of those three things one at a time and gradually making it a habit.

Operant conditioning is one of the most powerful means of behavioral change ever discovered. Come up with a system of rewards for each step in this process. The rewards do not need to be anything expensive. Logging what you do consistently can motivate you to make it a point to make a new log entry the next day. Give yourself a point for each thing you do, keep score, and make a game of trying to boost your score every week. If you pass a certain score each week go buy a magazine or a cd. Each day that you have to push yourself hard to get your task done give yourself a sticker in your log like a gold star.

It sounds dumb but it works.

People have used operant conditioning to train pigeons to play piano numbers. We have the same responses.

Don't expect instant results. Changing behavior is like exercise. You build up a little bit at a time.

I did really well with dragging my ass out of bed to run during the spring, summer, and early fall, but I just can't do it anymore. In fact, November/December is the hardest time for me to wake up period.

So I've changed when I run. And honestly, I still feel really good all the time. I thought not doing it in the morning anymore would ruin that, but it hasn't. So I run all different times of the day now. On weekends it's usually in the morning or afternoon, on weekdays I usually do one morning run (and go in to work late), and an evening run and/or a run home from work.

Maybe find a race to enter, and use that as motivation? You know, it'll make you get up and run so you won't look like a total fool at the race. Also, sometimes I use food as motivation. But maybe that's not a great idea.

Har, no I can't use food as motivation, gotta cut back and be a good boy, I am practicing control over the food and doing well with that right now. That's interesting about entering a race. I don't think that's something I'd want to do, but maybe I could have some other target like that which I'd need to get good for

I used to have a job where I got up at 5:30 am every day to be at work by 7am.

I did that job for years.

The keys to getting up early, without it being torture are:

- going to bed earlier

- going to bed at the same time almost every day

- getting enough sleep

Even if you can't jog in the morning you can begin working on it by taking each one of those three things one at a time and gradually making it a habit.

Operant conditioning is one of the most powerful means of behavioral change ever discovered. Come up with a system of rewards for each step in this process. The rewards do not need to be anything expensive. Logging what you do consistently can motivate you to make it a point to make a new log entry the next day. Give yourself a point for each thing you do, keep score, and make a game of trying to boost your score every week. If you pass a certain score each week go buy a magazine or a cd. Each day that you have to push yourself hard to get your task done give yourself a sticker in your log like a gold star.

It sounds dumb but it works.

People have used operant conditioning to train pigeons to play piano numbers. We have the same responses.

Don't expect instant results. Changing behavior is like exercise. You build up a little bit at a time.

Cool, thanks for that. I have done similar things, in terms of 'points', and it is good motivation. Keeping a log is good motivation because it makes me want to maintain consistency

Har, no I can't use food as motivation, gotta cut back and be a good boy, I am practicing control over the food and doing well with that right now. That's interesting about entering a race. I don't think that's something I'd want to do, but maybe I could have some other target like that which I'd need to get good for

Yeah, I figure food motivation only works when you weigh 108 pounds and can't seem to put on weight.

As for races, you don't need to be a fast runner to go in them (if that's what you're worried about). My dad enters two races a year, 5k, just to get keep himself going out there. He does 5k in about 30-35 minutes, which isn't bad for an "old guy" but he doesn't care about how fast he goes. Lots of people who enter are not fast at ALL, they just use races as motivation and like to get a t-shirt.

My former running "coach" convinced me to go into a race fairly early on and it was a great idea, because it was good motivation, and I've found races to be a bit addictive. It's my upcoming races and goals that keep me going out there even though it's freezing cold and I'd rather be lying in bed in front of my heater.

It only really worked for me when I got up at 5:30 and I started doing the whole thing as part of a new routine. Summer break ended and school started and part of my new schedule was getting up early and going to bed early.

I've been going for 3 months now three days a week MWF.

-Aaron

Like a picture of Daywalkers tight ass, to remind me of what I am aiming for

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

I LOLed!

Just set up a string of alarm clocks, like twenty, all leading to a coffeemaker, or if that isn't your thing, maybe got to bed strapped to a drip filled with caffeine, which starts to pump at 7am.

You need the sonic bomb alarm clock. I only know about these because a friend who stayed at my house threatened to get me one, after listening to how many times I hit the snooze button and still didn't really wake up.

It has a 113db alarm. For reference, a car horn is 110db and a jet engine is 120. If that's not enough to wake you, then the 12-volt bed shaker may help.

Alternatively, you can borrow my cat. He'll put his bunghole in your face first thing every morning, until you get up.

I second pamela's suggestion to sign up for a race (and telel people about it!) and set a training plan that you feel like you HAVE to follow or else you will look like a fool come race day. This keeps me motivated. As for the morning thing, it worked out fine for me in the summer because I would tell myself, "if you don't run now, You'll have to do it after work and it will be hot". Now that It's winter out, I only run in the morning if I know I have something planned for after work & I won't get my run in. So the one or two mornings I get up early during the week is to swim because It's the only time the gym pool doesn't have a ton of kids in it.

I find it's the hardest when you tell yourself you're going to get up at 7am and go for a run. Especially if you're used to getting out of bed after that time. Alam clock might help for the first week. But your body will feel fatigue and you won't want to do it anymore.

Start slow. Like get up say 9am instead of 7am and run a light run. Then next week get up an half an early and do another few runs that week. And so on and so on. It'll help your body and mind ajust healthy. Also a friend or a partner is also a great way to keep you motivated.

It get really fun in the dark, wind, rain and snow

Edited by Tasha

I used to like to shove friends into snowpiles while they were running.

No snow down here though.

That's was awesome. I'm running with you for now on

We'll see who goes down first

It'll probably be me, since you could left me up over your shoulders

I still haven't got myself into gear and done this yet. I have been in an ultra pissed-off mood for the last few weeks and I can't seem to shake it. But I will keep trying to motivate myself, thanks everyone for suggestions, I am trying to incorporate them. Remember though that I am not training to become good at running / jogging in itself, I want to do it as a way to burn calories and lose fat

Yeah I do that a bit sometimes. Best cardio I am doing at the moment is on the trampette / jogger that I have while I am playing videogames, that's cool and I can keep it up for long periods. And I can jog on the trampette for long periods too, GIMME FIVE! Booyah.