If you were attending a Vegetarian Festival..........

robert

If you were attending a Vegetarian (vegan) Festival, such as a VegFest, who would you like to see as a presenter?

As you know, I am an event organizer. I've had people from John Robbins, to Howard Lyman to T. Colin Campbell to Brendan Brazier speak in previous years.

Please help me come up with a list of names to consider having at Portland's VegFest in the spring.

We usually have up to 4 or 5 speakers, so please feel free to make your list as long as you want, with your top choices at the top.

Rank them if you need to:

etc.

I really look forward to hearing some feedback on this and I'm sure it will help us as we look to bring people to town for our 2008 Portland VegFest.

Thanks so much!

Somebody new.

I've gone to several veg festivals regularly for the last several years. I've seen the same speakers over and over again.

I might make an exception for Howard Lyman. He is in your area and he is the real deal. He knows what reality is, he is still optimistic and he is inspiring.

Any other suggestions?

I have a short list I'm compiling:

Potential VegFest Speakers:

• Marion Nestle (What to Eat)

• Peter Singer (The Way We Eat; Why Our Food Choices Matter)

• Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma)

• Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation)

• Paul Shapiro (HSUS Factory Farming Campaign).

• Joel Fuhrman, MD

• John Robbins

• Jeff Novick, MS, RD, LV/N

• Caldwell Esselstyn, MD

• Milton Mills, MD

• Pam Popper, PhD, ND

• Bryant Terry

• Jeffrey Masson, PhD

• Rev. Heng Sure PhD

• Raw Food Chef Jennifer Cornbleet

• Chef Tanya of Native Foods

• Chef Ann Esselstyn

• Sabrina Nelson

Chef Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Dr. Michael Greger

Erin Williams – Why animals matter

Howard Lyman

Dr. John McDougal

Will Tuttle

Dr. Neal Barnard (MD)

Ingrid Newkirk from PETA

Julia Butterfly Hill

Ocean Robbins

Lorri Bauston

Gene Baur

Harold Brown

Lee Hall

Speakers we’ve used recently but still may be worth considering:

Brendan Brazier

George Eisman

Eric Schlosser is awesome! I really enjoyed listening to him speak in L.A. last year.

And as far as John Robbins, I think this says it all:

http://a222.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/l_d310c0ebdac821783c2b723e57337e75.jpg

Sit down Robbins!!!

I think one thing to keep in mind is getting people who are popular amongst people that aren't vegan. It would be great if a lot of people(the non vegan type) come to hear someone speak and wind up getting exposed to the rest of the event.

First off I admit I can't stand several of the people on your list. I'm just being honest. I think the couple who directed Peaceable Kingdom are awesome. They say great stuff and there film is awesome. I would bring them and Laurie Bauston of Animal Acres.

Robert I love you dude. But some of these choices just seem crazy to me.

I'm not trying to be mean or nitpicky I just find some of these choices to be bad. It would be nice to break the mold and see different speakers..

• Marion Nestle (What to Eat)

Don't know her.

• Peter Singer (The Way We Eat; Why Our Food Choices Matter)

He ate meat for the research of this book and said some questionable things. Overall he has been a poor spokesman for the movement of late.

• Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma)

Robert you can't be serious???? That book has been like excuse machine for meat eaters. Seriously No way! He is the worst idea ever.

• Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation)

Is he even veg?

• Paul Shapiro (HSUS Factory Farming Campaign).

I love Paul as a friend, but I don't like alot of his welfarist ideas. He has given advice to the meat industry on panels at conferences on how to market "happy" meat.

• Chef Tanya of Native Foods Tanya did a cooking demo at the Vegan Bis fair we organized and she was great.

Dr. Michael Greger - Here is a man I can get behind. Yes I love him. He is a fantastic speaker.

Howard Lyman - I will see howard anytime i can, however he speaks all the time at these deals and correct me if I'm wrong he was just here last year.

Dr. John McDougal - He is a big draw/

Dr. Neal Barnard (MD) - always pretty good.

Ingrid Newkirk from PETA (She is a big draw - but PETA is pissing people off expect controversy.)

Julia Butterfly Hill - Is she even veg?

Lorri Bauston - I think teamed with the peaceable kingdom peeps she would be great.

Gene Baur - Gene was always super nice to me when i was at the farm back in the day. he is positive speaker. I don't always agree with his tactics but he is a change from the Lyman/robbins same people every time.

Edited by CountAgranoff

I think one thing to keep in mind is getting people who are popular amongst people that aren't vegan. It would be great if a lot of people(the non vegan type) come to hear someone speak and wind up getting exposed to the rest of the event.

That sounds great but you also have to worry about speakers who draw people in but undermine your message. I remember one AR conference back when clueless was big hit movie. They gave some dumb award to Alicia Silverstone. She got up before the crowd and said alot of bad things about activists.

it was sad. lame.

If you're wanting any chefs.

How about Sarah Kramer? She's awesome !

Yeah that's fantastic idea her book is very popular indeed, she is in driving distance.

Also Linda Blair. She played Reagan in the exorcist. She is a committed vegan, well spoken. She speaks at stuff in So cal all the time. Love her.

Someone else already said Dr. Neil Barnard. I heard him speak at a book signing/ vegan food expo this year, and he was excellent. He carries himself well, people respect that he's a doctor, and he has a very good approach. I wouldn''t mind hearing him again, and not to mention he looks good too. For that matter anyone from PCRM would be good to have, and they want to get out the word on veganism too! And living a healthy lifestyle.

I second this !

If you're wanting any chefs.

How about Sarah Kramer? She's awesome !

Yeah that's fantastic idea her book is very popular indeed, she is in driving distance.

Also Linda Blair. She played Reagan in the exorcist. She is a committed vegan, well spoken. She speaks at stuff in So cal all the time. Love her.

Sarah would most likely come down to the event