Preventing Yeast Infections

sirdle

I spent the last week with my mom in rural Coloardo, two hours from the nearest stoplight. We talked and played games. I worked on her house. I took several ice chests of vegan food, cooked all of our food and lectured her on veganism, exercise phsiology, and nutrition. One of the things she said struck me... she said that her doctor told her to eat a cup of yogurt a day to prevent yeast infections. Is this typical? My wife says that she only gets yeast infections when she is taking antibiotics of some kind. So when she takes antibiotics (or starts to get a cold sore) she takes acidopholus in pill form and that usually helps.

Anyone else have this problem? Are there any other solutions that I can tell my mom about so she can stop eating yogurt? Thanks.

The reasoning is that the active cultures in yogurt keep a healthy balance of good bacteria present and prevent yeast proliferation. It's true - but it doesn't need to be yogurt. Just taking the bacteria like you said works just fine. Plus, unless you're on antibiotics or are prone to yeast infections to start with, there's not much need for preventative measure anyway.

One of the things she said struck me... she said that her doctor told her to eat a cup of yogurt a day to prevent yeast infections. Is this typical?

It doesn't really sound typical, unless she's had recurrent infections or some health condtion (such as diabetes) that makes her more prone to yeast infections.

Anyone else have this problem? Are there any other solutions that I can tell my mom about so she can stop eating yogurt? Thanks.

Not anymore, but I had a big problem with it a few years ago. Taking an acidophilus pill daily or mixing some acidophilus in a smoothie (it also comes in a liquid form) is a good preventive measure. If fact, it may even be better than the yogurt, since most yogurt (unless it's plain) is heavily sweetened, and sugar encourages yeast growth. If the preventive measures don't work and a yeast infection happens, the liquid acidophilus can also be applied at the affected area.

For me, watching my diet (avoiding too much sugar and bread) and lifestyle (getting adequate rest, managing stress, and drinking enough water) also played a big part in preventing yeast infections.

A google search for "candida albicans" will give lots more info.

I don't know much about preventing yeast infections--I've never had one myself--but I have heard other people talk about yogurt as prevention. If she wants to keep eating yogurt every day, she could just switch to a vegan soy yogurt. It has the same cultures. I eat Whole Soy and Co. brand and think it's very yummy. (I always put wheat germ in mine as well--something I did as a child--makes it even better.)

I don't know much about preventing yeast infections--I've never had one myself--but I have heard other people talk about yogurt as prevention. If she wants to keep eating yogurt every day, she could just switch to a vegan soy yogurt. It has the same cultures. I eat Whole Soy and Co. brand and think it's very yummy. (I always put wheat germ in mine as well--something I did as a child--makes it even better.)

I highly second the Whole Soy brand vegan yogurt. Delish. I eat plain/vanilla with granola. My daughter likes all of the fruit flavors. I don't like any other variety of soy yogurt - and I've tried them all in pretty much every flavor.

Thanks, everybody, for you input. I'll ask my mom if she has a history of yeast infections. (Diabetes does run in our family, but she doesn't have it.) Since she lives so far from any soy products (she is in the heart of cattle country) I think the best thing would be for me to buy some acidopholus and mail it to her.

Michelle --- I think you are right. Diet and stress management are very important and I am trying to work with her on those issues.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i know this is really old but i gotta put my 2cents in!

pluse I love learning about and sharing info about DIY healthcare!

it is a good idea to take the acidopholis orally and vaginally and then take a break (a couple days) and do it again.

It is very important to take probiotics during and after taking antibiotics.

Antibiotics can not determine which bacteria it is killing - they just wipe them all out, and so it is important to replenish the good ones again!

Also with a yeast infection, it is important to avoid sugar, white flour, and alcohol.

hope this helps.