Do you chew well?

Zack

I try to, but the things I don't really like I just want to get the hell down my throat before I taste it, and the things I *do* like I'm so excited to be eating I sometimes inhale them more than chew.

I guess I probably chew the in-between stuff pretty well.

Octo, that sounds awful . You were starved as a child? That would definitely lead to disordered eating. "Inhaling food" and that type of eating leads to various problems.

A lot of people overeat when they come from backgrounds simply lacking in nutrient dense foods.

You should really try to chew well; in fact, it is recommended to chew to liquidity. "Mindful" eating, as opposed to mindless eating which is so prevalent. Don't watch tv or movies while you eat, either! It's best to concentrate on your food and chew well and taste the food. At least till you stop the bad chewing behavior.

I don't eat that fast, but i dont eat slow as well.

I knew someone who ate crazy fast who practically swallowed his food without chewing..

I also don't like food that is too hot, because hot food is hard to taste because it overwhelms my tastebuds and numbs my tongue, so when i eat, if its too hot, i have to wait for it to cool down.. my mom on the other hand eats things when they're really hot, which is crazy, and she thinks if you wait for even a few minutes that its gone cold.

Octo, that sounds awful . You were starved as a child? That would definitely lead to disordered eating. "Inhaling food" and that type of eating leads to various problems.

A lot of people overeat when they come from backgrounds simply lacking in nutrient dense foods.

You should really try to chew well; in fact, it is recommended to chew to liquidity. "Mindful" eating, as opposed to mindless eating which is so prevalent. Don't watch tv or movies while you eat, either! It's best to concentrate on your food and chew well and taste the food. At least till you stop the bad chewing behavior.

Ha ha. I remember watching Full House and they said you need to count to 100(in chews) with each forkful. man screw that. I dont mindfully eat. I eat for calories and energy.

I chew well if I'm not eating a lot of food or if I'm eating really filling food without starches. However I pretty much swallow everything if I've got a lot of it.

I tend to chew fairly well during meals - I had the unfortunate incident of choking when I was 3 years old (antsy kid + hot pizza = choking hazard and a scalded throat). I didn't eat solid food for nearly 2 months afterward, as I've been told. That's managed to hang with me ever since - anything that's chewy gets ground to dust before I swallow. Now, things like vegan ice cream, I can put away a pint faster twice as fast as the average person

I trained myself to chew well last year, but over the summer with work I seriously didn't have the time to chew well during work. Between stops (delivery guy) I had to inhale my food or I wasn't eating. So now I don't chew well anymore. I need to train myself again.

I can be really bad when I'm on the go. I eat at my desk at work (small company and really no place to go eat lunch), so I tend to go through lunch pretty quickly while working.

My wife's family was strapped for cash and she had to contend with a hungry father and hungry older brother, so the quicker they ate, the quicker they could get what little seconds there were.

If my wife and I need to zip off someplace, we can put dinner down like the Simpsons eating, but we've been trying to make a better effort to slow down even on those meals that are little more than sustenance.

• 2 weeks later...