Sicilian Fig Cookies

Christopher

It's a tradition in my family to make fig cookies around Christmas. In recent years, with a lot of other things going on, we haven't made fig cookies. Last weekend, for the first time in probably five years, my wife, my mother, and I got together and made fig cookies.

The designs for the cookies were brought over from Sicily by my great grandmother. The story goes there were a bunch of cloistered nuns near the village who made the cookies and shared them with everybody. My mom made them with my great grandmother, and I've made them with my mom for years.

It's a pretty time consuming thing, but it's a great way to sit around with family, chatting, and having fun.

Anyway, the photos:

Grinding the Figs

My Mom and I

Rough Sketches My Wife Did of the Traditional Shapes

My Wife Forming a Shape

A Bird My Wife Made

The First Batch (The Second Batch Was Better Looking

Very interesting. I've never seen cookies like that...and figs are by far my favorite tried fruit....I could take down two trays of those things.

Yeah, I love figs.

I'm taking it easy on them; it can be tough having them around the apartment. People at work have liked them, and most of our friends do, too, so there are plenty of people to share them with.

They're sooooooooooooo good! (that is, if you like figs)

Very Figging impressive Dude

Hahahahahaha....thanks, Tasha! And thanks to everybody else for taking a look. It's one of the few family traditions we have, and it's been awhile since we've made them.

It's been a lot of fun, and this year is the first year I felt I really started getting the cuts down at least vaguely like my great grandmother's cuts.

Christopher

Christopher, that's some artwork! Can you tell me if the cookie dough is a traditional one? And is it one which is uniquely fashioned by each family?

Is it a vegan recipe? If not a secret, would you share it?

The dough is very basic, and the recipe is vegan.

The recipe isn't a secret, and I'll post it when I'm near the computer where I have the recipe saved.

Christopher