Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

Troy

Okay, so I just re-read the section in the book about the optimal amino profile, and I was quite wrong about the combination he'd mentioned. I thought it was 3:2:1 Hemp:rice:pea, when in fact it was 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice. The book says that this combo is not only complete, but "complimentary and synergistic" although it lacks a good explanation for this.

I've edited my previous post, and changed the table to show the amino profile of this new combo... it'd be nice if trueprotein.com started carrying a high-quality rice protein so I could order it premixed.

Yeah, but we're lucky they carry as many options for Vegans as they do. I'm sure it makes up a very small percentage of their client base, so I'm suprised they have even the three to choose from

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, so I just re-read the section in the book about the optimal amino profile, and I was quite wrong about the combination he'd mentioned. I thought it was 3:2:1 Hemp:rice:pea, when in fact it was 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice. The book says that this combo is not only complete, but "complimentary and synergistic" although it lacks a good explanation for this.

I've edited my previous post, and changed the table to show the amino profile of this new combo... it'd be nice if trueprotein.com started carrying a high-quality rice protein so I could order it premixed.

Yeah, but we're lucky they carry as many options for Vegans as they do. I'm sure it makes up a very small percentage of their client base, so I'm suprised they have even the three to choose from

If you read bodybuilding.com quite a few of them use gemma, or at least a gemma/whey mix.

Great post, I just ran the numbers on the 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice combo... very slick combo... heres what the Leucine:Isoleucine:Valine ratio looks like:

4:3:2Gemma:Hemp:Rice......2---:---1.09---:---1.29

compared to the

True Protein Gemma Isolate....... 2---:---1.07---:---1.20

It's very close to the Gemma Isolate for that ratio, still the plain Gemma is closer to the 2:1:1 that is claimed among so many BCAA supplements as being "proven". I wonder if the pea protein they used has a slightly different amino acid profile than the Gemma, I would assume this to be the case as Whey Concentrate has a different profile than Whey Isolate. I also wonder if this 2:1:1 AA ratio is something they were trying to achieve with the 4:3:2 pea:hemp:rice... If so, this may make the Isolate a superior protein in itself, with regards to the 2:1:1 AA ratio.

On the True Protein forums you will also find information regarding rice protein. They are currently researching and figuring out which rice protein to go with and through whom.... maybe a Rice Isolate on the way???? who knows... but I even emailed them and they said they should have a deal for a rice protein very shortly...

http://www.amazon.com/Amino-Acids-Proteins-Athlete-Nutrition/dp/1420043803

....comfortable reading something that could be an exercise physiology program textbook - then I highly suggest you get it. I am looking forward to applying this research to my program.

Its been 10 years since I took Phys. of Ex. in college and I hardly remember a thing from the class. I think I'd be pretty comfortable reading it though. I'm anticipating your full review and if you care to shed light on this subject after reading it. Maybe a holiday present to myself...

Troy,

It will probably take me all of next week to get through the book. I've read a few chapters and skimmed through other sections. I'm impressed with the amount of research referenced in the book as well as the very impressive credentials of the author.

Unfortunately, there's not a short summary of what to do because there are so many factors that count towards building muscle. Rather, the book is divided into 2 sections: The Theory and Naturally Anabolic. So the how-to part of the book is almost a hundred pages long.

Be forewarned that the author is not vegan and is not writing this book with vegan ethics in mind - there are animal studies referenced. There is a section on vegetarians and vegans, however.

• 1 month later...

I got brown rice protein from UK. It has a neutral taste and mixed with soy choc I can't taste it anymore.

the amino acid profile seems to differ from nutribiotic rice protein.

soy+rice mixed 60/40

amino acids /100g

Glutamin acid 18,3

Asparagin acid 10,4

Arginin 8,2

Leucin 8,2

Lysin 5,1

Serin 5,0

Phenylalanin 5,3

Prolin 5,1

Isoleucin 4,7

Valin 5,4

Glycin 4,2

Alanin 4,8

Tyrosin 4,4

Threonin 3,7

Histidin 2,4

Tryptophan 1,3

Methionin 2,0

Cystein 2,2

brown rice protein pure

amino acids /100g

gutamin acid 17,2

Asparagin acid 8,6

Arginin 9,2

Leucin 8,3

Lysin 3,4

Serin 4,8

Phenylalanin 5,5

Prolin 5,0

Isoleucin 4,4

Valin 6,0

Glycin 4,3

Alanin 5,4

Tyrosin 5,4

Threonin 3,7

Histidin 2,1

Tryptophan 1,2

Methionin 3,2

Cystein 2,4

• 2 weeks later...

Troy, I was wondering if you could add Casein to this comparison chart?

I read over on Lyle Mcdonald's forum that there was a study done with cops. My memory is fuzzy, but there were a couple of different groups doing strength training with a diet of 1800 calories per day with either whey or casein. The casein group lost more fat and gained more muscle.

My first question is why? I'm going to post this in the True Protein forum as well. I know the casein is slower digesting than whey, but why? Is it the amino profile? Or is there something else to it?

DV, hows the book coming along...?

Hey Troy, it's coming along slowly. I have to fly to New York on Friday and am taking it with me so I should finish it by next Wednesday. It's not much of a how-to book. It has a lot of detail and references a lot of studies. I've ordered another of his books which is definitely more of a how-to:

http://bodybuilding.com/store/md/ana.html

It should get here about the same time I finish the other one. It was written before the one I'm reading now so it will be interesting to see which information is new.

Okay, here is my opinion on both books:

"The Anabolic Solution" is somewhat of a thinly veiled attempt to get you to purchase his supplements. The theory behind his metabolic diet is that you can reset your metabolism to burn fat instead of carbs. You eat a very low carb diet for 5 days and then eat higher carbs on weekends. It is not a vegan-friendly book. He advocates getting down to 30 grams of carbs during the week (after an initial 5-12 days of carb depletion) and then eating just enough carbs on the weekend until you start storing them as fat. He does say that some people will only be able to drop their carbs as low as 100 carbs (or more) depending on their metabolism. I guess I'll never know if I can get down to 30 grams because there's no way I'm going to eat protein powder and olive oil for 5 days out of the week and take a fiber supplement. The micronutrients found in vegetables are definitely not on this man's radar as he thinks you can get them all from his multivitamin.

I will try a modified version of this diet (with the lowest carbs I can manage during the week) for the next 8 weeks and see if I can use it to drop less muscle when cutting. Because you carb load on the weekends, he believes that you never have to guess at competition time since you can see how your body reacts to carb loading and just adjust your timing at comp time. Is it worth the price? Not in my opinion.

"Amino Acids and Proteins for the Athlete" is really a book for us nerds who like to read about biochemistry and studies. He does have a section towards the end where he puts it all together. You get a feel for the studies that have lead to some of the supplements out there (creatine, BCAAs, NO supplements, etc) but the author is free to pull out whatever studies he wants to support certain theories and ignore what doesn't suit his needs. I'm not saying that his chosen theories are wrong, just that this is not the holy grail of bodybuilding nutrition - although it's the most comprehensive and well-researched one I know of. This book does not push his website or supplements. It's definitely written to be a serious book for those with a science/medicine/nutrition/sports physiology background. He is much kinder to us vegans in this book. Is it worth the price? Only if you really like reading this type of stuff and have this much cash to spend.

The changes I've made since reading the above book are as follows:

1) I will cycle creatine (4 weeks on and 4 weeks off). Vegans should all be responders to creatine since we don't eat any and therefore our muscles most likely hold less than omnis - unless you eat a whole lot of the building blocks for creatine and your body doesn't need those amino acids for anything else. I've seen really good results with creatine.

2) Branched Chain Amino Acids - there are lots of studies to support taking these before/during/after workouts. Different studies show different support for the timing but before and during seems most popular. I will take these every workout.

3) Nitric Oxide supplements - less studies to support these supplements (arginine and citrulline) but worth a try, IMO. I only use this when off my creatine cyle.

I've spent the last 8 weeks adding mass and will start cutting body fat in the next 8 weeks. A high protein diet (110-140 grams of protein per day for my 150 lbs) and the above supplements have helped me add an approximate 5 pounds of muscle mass in 2 months (combined with the accommodation avoidance workout from Dr. Joe). Stay tuned for what happens when I cut for the next 2 months.

3) Nitric Oxide supplements - less studies to support these supplements (arginine and citrulline) but worth a try, IMO. I only use this when off my creatine cyle.

The first time I used NO XPLODE it changed my life. That formula is not available though (it was too strong actually and bsn revamped it, the new stuff is good too though).

Thanks, Neven.

Josh, I think that's one of the formulas that contains creatine. I am currently using one that doesn't have creatine as an ingredient since I use it when not creatine cycling. I wanted to see if using arginine and citrulline would make a difference without other additives. Since I'm still making fair strength gains at the gym, I assume that it's doing something. But that's just a very subjective opinion.

David, I'll hit you up with a more detailed response from your PM but right now I only have the plain Gemma, no stevia, no flavors... Plain gemma mixed with water is tolerable for me, but others might gag a bit. I've done away with mixing protein powder with just water in favor of only mixing protein powders with my smoothies... I have my own theory to this and I'll explain in the PM.... check my food blog in the training journals titled "Eat." if you get a chance I think I explain it there too...

• 3 weeks later...