Another question on ab training

What type of reps and set sare best for burning fat and creating some definition. Right now I do Isolated resp with a 3second isolated hold on the positve of the rep. As far as sets I'm just doing your basic traing..one set then rest 45 seconds. my new ab workout is as follows i want to do it 5-6 times a week

rotary torso

Camstar lower ab machine

camstar ab curl machine

weighted crunch

the ab bench

reverse crunches

twist air bike

and my sets and reps are

5x20,20,20,20,20

No specific amount of sets or reps will "burn fat" on the abs - fat burning comes primarily from a caloric defeceit, and the best way to get abs to show is to both build them up and to reduce fat together.

Can't say I know much about ab training - I've got large ab muscles, but they're hidden under too much fat to see them. Never done any direct ab work - for me it was heavy compound lifts, as you don't have to always work abs directly for them to come into play and get stronger. But, I'm sure someone else can help with a good routine - just remember that you can't spot reduce on an area unless you get liposuction, so the only ways to make muscles stand out more are to make them larger and lose overall bodyfat!

You'll definitely get better abs from doing cardio than from doing abs. Everyone should do abs for strength since its such an important section of the body but nothing helps more than getting leaner. I do insane amounts of ab work(1000+ ab reps a day for over 5 years) and don't have abs you can see at all. I just have a really strong core that gives me extra endurance. If I just wanted to get lean it would be a different story. On a side not your lifts will benefit from some core specific training and your back will thank you for it when your an old fart.

I used to have pretty good abs a few years ago, but I lost them... but at the time I was doing between 30-60mins cardio whenever I went to the gym, which was between 4 and 7 times a week, normally about 5 days a week. I also did abs twice a week, using an ab rolly thing to support my neck. I'd do 3 sets of as many crunches as I felt I could do, pausing for 2 seconds at the top of the crunch, really tensing the abs to make sure I was using the right muscles, then going back down. After that I'd do 3 sets with my feet pointing up in the air. Then I'd do three sets with my legs twisted to either side, to work the sides. So in total it was about 12 sets, it would vary how many I was doing per set depending on how worn out I was, but it wasn't actually that many, each set might have on average about 25 reps.

I think the main thing for defined abs is diet, followed by regular cardio, to lower your body fat. Some people don't do any ab work at all, and they have very defined abs, because abs can be worked during other stuff. I like to target them though just to make sure. This is something I am really working on at the moment because I want to get back to what I was in the past

• 2 weeks later...

This answers exactly to the question I was looking for ->

I have trained loads of abs and I can easily do 100+ reps of regular sit-ups and more than 30 reps with 16kg weight on my chest. Still, my abs aren't showing that well.

However, I'm not that keen to get rid of all my body fat, because I want to gain weight and I believe getting too few calories will not only burn fat but also reduce muscle gain.

If I only eat less carbs but get loads of protein and healthy fat, will it still reduce muscle gain if I burn more calories than I consume?

If you burn more calories than you absorb(consuming food is different) then you will lose fat but you also won't be gaining any real muscle. Anyhow I think your like most people. If you get too lean you lose muscle...if you don't you can't see your abs. Even most top bodybuilders lose their abs before they cut so its part of the territory. Fat is good for gaining muscle...if you're willing to sacrifice the speed of your gains then cut the fat to see the abs.

Great! Thanks for the info.

I think I'll manage without a solid rock belly, I prefer gaining strength and weight. I don't think it's even healthy to have a really dry body all the time.

Sorry about my bad English, luckily you still figured out what I tried to express.

• 1 month later...
If you burn more calories than you absorb(consuming food is different) then you will lose fat but you also won't be gaining any real muscle. Anyhow I think your like most people. If you get too lean you lose muscle...if you don't you can't see your abs. Even most top bodybuilders lose their abs before they cut so its part of the territory. Fat is good for gaining muscle...if you're willing to sacrifice the speed of your gains then cut the fat to see the abs.

When you guys discuss cutting fats, what type of fat cutting are you recommending?

I usually eat; olive oil, avocado, etc.

When you guys discuss cutting fats, what type of fat cutting are you recommending?

I usually eat; olive oil, avocado, etc.

Personally it hasn't been about cutting fat for me. Its been about cutting protein first...then cutting other things in unison. Even when I was eating 1500 calories for pretty much a year my fat dropped relative to my carbs and I ate at little protein as I possibly could. Having a drop in that protein and keeping my carbs high relative to my protein is what gave me energy to burn fat.

As for oils to drop I say just get rid of hydrogenated oils and you should be fine...those other oils are all good...maybe throw in some coconut oil too if you want to.

...Having a drop in that protein and keeping my carbs high relative to my protein is what gave me energy to burn fat.

As for oils to drop I say just get rid of hydrogenated oils and you should be fine...those other oils are all good...maybe throw in some coconut oil too if you want to.

I was always under the impression that to define one must cut carbs and increase protein. I understand that carbs give you the resources for energy, but "extra" carbs are fattening, are they not, if not burned?

Thats why you burn them. Its the healthiest way to cut weight...otherwise just go on the vegan Atkins diet. Cutting really is more about cutting calories altogether...not so much about higher protein. Higher protein really just makes it easier because you feel more full. If you have good self control its best to cut with a balanced diet...unless you're in a bodybuilding competition and you need to cut very quickly...which isn't healthy either.

For definition I've been doing "needsize situps" recently. Basically you start in the up position on an incline bench, bring yourself parallel for 5 seconds, then back up. Repeat for maybe 8 reps, 2-3 sets. I do it holding a 45 lb plate over my stomach.

Of course as others say, defined abs can't be seen under a layer of fat.

My abs are better and my waist is thinner than its ever been and it's primarily from diet changes. I started having a salad for lunch and one for mid-afternoon snack (that one I throw in a whole wheat tortilla) and it's had visible effect.

I never do abs at the gym.

I stopped running regularly due to a knee injury about three weeks ago and that's when I picked up the salad plan.

• 15 years later...

I couldn't see my abs for a very long time until I had liposuction. Tampa Liposuction Clinic exceeded all my expectations. The skilled surgeons carefully listened to my concerns and goals, and they tailored the procedure to my specific needs. Liposculpture results are outstanding! Not only did they remove unwanted fat, but they also sculpted my body beautifully. I feel more confident and comfortable in my own skin now.