The Skinny Bitches Are Back

beforewisdom

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to read the book sometime to see what all the fuss is about.

Any idea if the recipes are any good?

"But instead of earnest lectures, they advise: 'You shouldn't put garbage in your mouth any sooner than you'd go to church wearing crotchless panties.'

*snicker* I don't see why you wouldn't wear crotchless panties in a church.

Reviews of the sequel, which is a cookbook, are now on amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/3yozrk

The original book was partially done by consulting with the PCRM. I haven't read either book, but I am betting it follows PCRM's low fat, low processed emphasis.

PCRM has a ton of nice recipes...with nutrition information online for free

http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/

I appreciate that as I am one of those people who put weight on easily, even if I do everything right. I usually do not buy a cookbook if every recipe has at least a tablespoon of oil in it or if the recipes do not have any nutrition information.

Jennifer Raymond let the PCRM put her whole book into one of Neal Barnard's. Her recipes, are also included on the PCRM ( among others ). They have nutrition information and are excellent. Most low fat recipes suck, but Raymond's are great. If a teaspoon of oil or a dash salt will make a healthy recipe taste great, she will do it.

She has her own vegan cookbook ( doesn't say it in the title ):

Fat Free And Delicious

http://tinyurl.com/39kefw

Just read one of the reviews on amazon and it has all of my cookbook dealbreakers:(

I was also surprised that no nutritional information is available for each recipe

snip....

Lastly, I know coconut oil is making a comeback, particularly in weight loss for its effect on the metabolism etc.

Oh well, I have no paucity of recipes at home or on the web to try

• 2 weeks later...
I had no idea the first book was a New York Times #1 Best Seller for 5 weeks!

#1 !!!

That is awesome!

More info about the books, including how to win them I think:

http://www.peta.org/feat-skinny_bitch.asp?c=weekly_enews

It's because they came at Veganism through the side door and they had a catchy title and good information that made sense.

This is a prime example of how hiding your agenda WORKS.

I swear, 90% of the emails I've received from women on my website seeking advice on a Vegan diet are from women who went Vegan after reading Skinny Bitch.

I haven't read the whole book, but from what I do know, never once did they even mention Veganism. yet they've probably managed to convert more people in the past year than even PETA.

Even PETA's approach has been much kindler and gentler I think. I was turned onto Environmental Veganism originally through PETA literature that was concise, got to the point and spelled out the facts. No "in your face" tactics... just the truth, but I firmly remember that I approached the Vegan booth first, not the other way around.

Okay, I've gone off on a tangent, but the reason the book is so successful is because they hid their agenda... and as a result have done so much good for the cause.

That book is what got me thinking about veganism in the first place. I never, ever would have thought that I'd become a vegan one day until I read that book and realized not only was it doable, but that it was the best thing to do for my health and the environment. And the funny part was, the word "vegan" does not appear anywhere on the outside of the book, or even in the first chapter for that matter.

The book isn't perfect but for a lot of people who, like me, would never consider veganism, it's a great place to start because it's so in your face.

I don't think hiding an agenda works. People can tell when you are hiding an agenda and if think you are hiding something they tend to think there is something wrong with what you are hiding.

I don't they hid their agenda in their book. The authors went vegan because they didn't like the cruelty involved with animal food production. They spell that cruelty out in their book. Nothing is hidden.

I think what they did do different is that they didn't expect people to climb a mountain and cater their lives to hear their thoughts. They learned something about the group of people they wanted to persuade and talked to those people in terms of where they live, their concerns, etc.

Most women want to be thin and don't want to starve.

I don't think hiding an agenda works. People can tell when you are hiding an agenda and if think you are hiding something they tend to think there is something wrong with what you are hiding.

I don't they hid their agenda in their book. The authors went vegan because they didn't like the cruelty involved with animal food production. They spell that cruelty out in their book. Nothing is hidden.

I think what they did do different is that they didn't expect people to climb a mountain and cater their lives to hear their thoughts. They learned something about the group of people they wanted to persuade and talked to those people in terms of where they live, their concerns, etc.

Most women want to be thin and don't want to starve.

okay, I'll have to read it then. But the people I've spoken to who had contacted me all told me that the book never mentioned Veganism, so that's why I drew the conclusion, so I'll have to see for myself.

I don't think they need to mention the word, to be honest about their agendas. The women who wrote that book were mainstream women working the fashion industry when they learned about the cruelty in animal food production. In their book they talk to other "mainstream" women like themselves giving them similar information as it was given to them.

That is straight forward IMHO. Why else would anyone mention horrible things about a product unless they wanted someone to quit that product?

The authors cover the cruelty in meat and dairy alike.

That leaves a vegan diet ( as opposed to "veganism", something else altogether IMHO )