Great Video Mocking Fixed Gear Bike Riders

Guest veganpotter

I've always been a little baffled by this trend. I mean, people can do what they like, it doesn't bother me... but an acquaintance of mine (who's fairly athletic) was once telling me over beers how he wants to get a fixed gear bike. I asked him why. He said, "To train my legs, get bigger thighs. You gotta work harder on a fixie." I responded, "Why don't you use a regular bike and just not change gears if you want to train your legs?"

He looked baffled.

Its very different but it isn't as cool as people think it is. Its becoming the new TRUCKER HAT and that bugs the hell out of me. Also most people that ride them on the street act like morons and people that want fixed gears look to them as examples...this is why you see far more dead fixed gear riders than road cyclists...no common sense...no helmets...no brakes...not cool.

i dont know the first thing about racing bikes.

but riding on the street with a fixed gear bike especially with no brakes is completely moronic.

the fact that its such a hipster thing feeds into it all being about image, not about being practical.

dont get me wrong, i respect actual races, and the use of them on tracks, which is where they were designed for, right?

seems like biking in the city with traffic and all is already dangerous, ive known friends who have had pretty bad crashes, AND they were NOT riding fixed gear bikes.

So the brilliant idea to take off brakes, and ride fixed gear in this environment doesnt make sense.....

Did you know they used to ride the tour de france with 2 gears?

The first way of changing gears was to stop riding, take out the weel and flip it over! Imagine that.

That's cool to know! A couple of my buddies ride fixed/free. They flip the wheel over if they want to use the side with the freewheel, especially for longer rides. The gearing they use is slightly different on that side as well.

The first tours were full fixed...at the top of a climb they'd flip the wheel around for the down hill. They were lucky in a sense back then. Now that the roads are pretty much all paved(some cobbles) it would be much faster and impossible to control a fixed gear bike down those hills...sometimes a decent may be 50-60 miles at 50mph+. But with those lousy bumpy roads and slow bikes it helped out a bit(I'm sure they were still going very fast though). After a while they found out how to get the bikes to coast but it was a while before a bike could shift.

Its very different but it isn't as cool as people think it is. Its becoming the new TRUCKER HAT and that bugs the hell out of me. Also most people that ride them on the street act like morons and people that want fixed gears look to them as examples...this is why you see far more dead fixed gear riders than road cyclists...no common sense...no helmets...no brakes...not cool.

Personally I think a cyclist on a fixed gear bike seems out of place on the roads.

It looks much prettier on the track were it should belong

What would your reaction be if you couldn't stop in time for loosing a chain?

http://picasaweb.google.com/davenoisy/070820ProvincialsSelectedShotsFromTim/photo#5103203912091666306

Nice shot...luckily for that person he wasn't on the road. A friend of mine did lost a chain before hitting a red light. It was during a time of day with normal city traffic. He was really really lucky in that he made it through the red safely. Oddly enough...it took him another wreck without a helmet to put a brake on...and he still doesn't wear a helmet.

Unfortunately there are tens of thousands of dweebs out there that actually believe this. So really they think these complete losers are the coolest people on earth...what does that make them???