Vegan week in portland! Get involved...

CountAgranoff

I read a little about the "Vegan freak for a week" in Scotland and it seemed awesome but to do it with the super vegan nature of this here city I think we can do better. I'm going to type out my ideas. I'm sure others will have better ones than mine. Jump in. I hope others will want to help get involved.

I know it looks huge, but our community is big so lest think big... I am shooting for having the first meeting to organize this in mid-jan. Robert and I talked about this a bit after holiday fest. I think we can do it.

Interested in helping organize this? Write me with the nights you could be available for a meeting. [email protected]

It can change and move around…We could split up the workshops and lectures between many capable people in our community.

either way.

The Goal: get as much of the Portland vegan community working together for one week to support any omni willing to try veganism for a week. I think if we do this right we could have 150 to 200 new vegans with one week of serious outreach.

It would involve organizing the restaurants, stores and activist groups to support the efforts of the week.. The activist groups are an easy sell, the restaurants and stores would not have to spend money upfront but would get exposure so they should be down.

Vegan veterans could sign in a program that would place them with rookies to be a mentor (more on that later)

First things first we publish a booklet

Vegan Freak for a week guide book.

It includes:

1. Restaurants - list of veg friendly places – with a special section of VFW participants who will offer daily VFW specials and coupons.

2. stores and co-ops listing. With a schedule of several tours focused on ‘how to shop vegan’

3. Commonly found animal products list.

4. Going vegan advice.

5. Ads (to pay for printing)

6. featured products/ professionals (find vegan lawyers/massage/childcare etc.)

7. Sample meal plans

8. schedule of events/lectures during week.

9. Tips on vegan parenting

10. Vegan on a busy schedule tips

11. Vegan on the cheap tips

12. space for filling in your mentor’s contact info

Schedule:

First Saturday:

Opening event w/ Music, Tables, raffles giveaways, Pass out the guide books, and most importantly mentor pairing.

Sunday:

Small afternoon meet-up at restaurant followed by a Vegan parenting workshop. Evening workshop on “Veganize your habits.”

Monday:

Store tours at food fight, co-ops and cooking demo at people’s or someplace like that.

Tuesday:

Restaurant meet-up followed by Eat to stop global warming: Eco-veganism lecture

(Note lectures and meet-ups would be close by but separate events)

Wednesday:

Restaurant meet-up and ‘You can live without cheese - Eggs and dairy lecture’.

Thursday:

Restaurant meet up and ‘You will get your protein – vegan health lecture.’

Friday:

Happy hour at the Bye and bye vegan bar in Alberta w/ coinciding family event

Saturday:

Closing Gala event:

Catered dinner (with paid admission- event free dinner is not)

Vegan pledges and awards for people for people who were committed This would be based on reports by mentors.

Maybe Bob and jenna could record a special Portland only short podcast to be played at the dinner 

A dance w/ DJ

Temptation soft serve.

Mentors would need to:

1.Have been vegan for a couple of years

2. be available to give advice by phone or e-mail through out the week.

3. offer to cook at least once with mentee (that word sucks I know)

4.be able to at least once offer to eat out with mentee

5.be able to give a store tour at their mentee’s most shopped store if they request it.

We would have to start a blog, message board maybe.

I know this is alot but i have been thinking about all day and outside of the guide I think everything could be done with time to plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Portland Vegan week! Coming in June help get involved

First organizing meeting at: Jan 16th @ Choas Café 25th and Powell in Southeast

Introductions 7:30 meeting 8:00 PM

A few months ago a few of us read a little about a project called Vegan Freak for a Week in Scotland and it seemed awesome, basically all the vegans in this small town worked together for vegan to support people they convinced to try veganism for week. Many of those who tried went on to stay vegan. Due to the super vegan nature of this here city I think we can do better.

It can change and move around…We could split up the workshops and lectures between many capable people in our community.

either way.

The Goal: get as much of the Portland vegan community working together for one week to support any omnivore or veg willing to try veganism for a week. I think if we do this right we could have 150 to 200 new vegans with one week of serious outreach. Of course the impact will go far beyond the week or the months spent putting it together.

It would involve organizing the restaurants, stores and activist groups to support the efforts of the week. The activist groups are an easy sell, the restaurants would not have to spend money(or not that much) upfront but would get exposure so they should be into.

Vegan veterans could sign in a program that would place them with rookies to be a mentor (more on that later)

First things first we publish a booklet

Vegan Week guide book.

It includes:

1. Restaurants list of veg friendly places – with a special section of VW participants who will offer daily VW specials and coupons.

2. stores and co-ops listing. With a schedule of several tours during VW focused on ‘how to shop vegan’

3. Commonly found animal products list.

4. Going vegan advice.

5. Ads (to pay for printing)

6. Featured products/ professionals (find vegan lawyers/massage/childcare etc.)

7. Sample meal plans

8. Schedule of events/lectures during week.

9. Tips on vegan parenting

10. Vegan on a busy schedule tips

11. Vegan on the cheap tips

12. space for filling in your mentor’s contact info

Proposed Schedule:

First Saturday:

Vegan week bike rally! Noon!

Opening event w/ Music, Tables, raffles, giveaways, Pass out the guide books, and most importantly mentor pairing.

(Possibly an Earthlings screening)

Sunday:

Small afternoon meet-up at restaurant followed by a near-by Vegan parenting workshop. Evening workshop on “Veganize your habits.”

Monday:

Store tours at food fight, co-ops, health food stores and cooking demo at people’s or someplace like that.

Tuesday:

Restaurant meet-up followed by Eat to stop global warming/ Solve our water crisis: Eco-veganism lecture

(Note lectures and meet-ups would be close by but separate events)

Wednesday:

Restaurant meet-up and ‘You can live without cheese - Eggs and dairy lecture’.

Thursday:

Restaurant meet up and ‘You will get your protein – vegan health lecture.’

Friday:

Happy hour at the Bye and bye vegan bar in Alberta w/ coinciding family event at VITA café.

Saturday:

Closing Gala event: (ie Vegan prom)

Catered dinner (with paid admission- event free dinner is not)

Vegan pledges and awards for people for people who were committed this would be based on reports by mentors.

A formal dance w/ DJ VEGAN PROM!

We will need Mentors, Business and activist group sponsors. This will help with fundraising but we will have to hold a few fund raisers.

Three level of Sponsorship: (more details later)

Grand Sponsor: Pays the most is featured on ALL materials,

Supporting Sponsor: gets ads in the guide,

Participating sponsor: Hosts VW specials, puts up flyers

Mentors would need to:

1.Have been vegan for a couple of years

2. be available to give advice by phone or e-mail through out the week.

3. offer to cook at least once with mentee (that word sucks I know)

4.be able to at least once offer to eat out with mentee

5.be able to give a store tour at their mentee’s most shopped store if they request it.

We would have to start a blog, message board maybe.

Possible fundraisers:

1.Sponsorships

2. Punk benefit shows

3. Grants from national groups

4.Advanced Vegan prom Tickets

5. Dogwashes

6.Donate tab to paypal on site.

7. Restaurant nights at sponsoring restaurants (imagine say Vita offers a special for one night. Something they can make cheaply, the donate a portion of the proceeds. We hang during that night and table people can donate. This would also help us spread the word that vegan week is coming.) COK does a night once a week at a restaurant in DC where 5% of proceeds go to their group. It wouldn’t hurt the restaurant and if we did for a light night it would help over all business. Win win.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Eugene (or returning from Eugene) so I'll most likely miss it. But I'll check in to keep up to date.

Thanks for doing this! If others locally read this, check it out.

Oh, P.S. lotus wanted to be kept up to date about it too and possibly attend meetings.