Quote of the day

robert

I don't think crying and laughing have much at all really to do with each other. Wonder why she thought such a thing? I don't get it. I went a decade without crying because after I recognized it required a belief in a "god", I found it too ridiculous to manage, yet I laughed plenty.

Say what ? ? Since when do any of the gods, or their absence or existence have anything to do with crying ?

I hadn't heard this point of view before, but ... surely theism etc is seperate from feelings of depthy despair, trauma, woe etc.... which are well-reputed to invoke a lot of tears, sobbing etc in many people ?

What I'm getting at , and the reason I quoted her, is that she is making a comment (or so i interpret maybe wrongly, for all i know ?) about restraining the emotion, and opressing oneself in the process....

ie, I would take from her comment that those who are able to fully express themselves in 'uncomfortable and unpleasant' ways emotionally (such as fear, anguish, despair, shock, anxiety etc) are more capable by relation, when ti comes to enjoying the 'positive; emotions, such as happiness, enthusiasm, affection , joy etc.

(^-^) It seems to be so, no ?

To be able to fully express oneself, or to come closer to it, is so nice I think.

okey doke though, let's try this one on for size my friend -

I think that making a mindful and engaged effort to improve things, including our own efforts and ourselves, can only be a good thing and a great way to cultivate positivity.... and ultimately, to increased productivity and happiness....

It can involve change , or temporary discomfort, but things like that are typically outweighed many times by the benefits of such positive endeavour.

Astrocat , expressor of things

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own, and you know what you know.

And you are the one who'll decide where you'll go.

Oh the places you'll go.

Dr Seuss

I don't think crying and laughing have much at all really to do with each other. Wonder why she thought such a thing? I don't get it. I went a decade without crying because after I recognized it required a belief in a "god", I found it too ridiculous to manage, yet I laughed plenty.

Say what ? ? Since when do any of the gods, or their absence or existence have anything to do with crying ?

Oh, that's just how it seems to me. I think a lot of times people maybe don't quite understand what is exactly really going on within them, what it is ultimately that motivates a given action... I could be wrong on this one of course.

I hadn't heard this point of view before, but ... surely theism etc is seperate from feelings of depthy despair, trauma, woe etc.... which are well-reputed to invoke a lot of tears, sobbing etc in many people ?

I think it's occurring at a level where of course people who call themselves atheists, etc are of course still crying just fine.

What I'm getting at , and the reason I quoted her, is that she is making a comment (or so i interpret maybe wrongly, for all i know ?) about restraining the emotion, and opressing oneself in the process....

ie, I would take from her comment that those who are able to fully express themselves in 'uncomfortable and unpleasant' ways emotionally (such as fear, anguish, despair, shock, anxiety etc) are more capable by relation, when ti comes to enjoying the 'positive; emotions, such as happiness, enthusiasm, affection , joy etc.

(^-^) It seems to be so, no ?

To be able to fully express oneself, or to come closer to it, is so nice I think.

Yes, I do see what she's saying actually.

I also think (kind of related) occasional mania is the logical result of being really depressed at times. (Manic-depression) Being bipolar makes more sense than just being depressed all the time. The more ridiculously unhappy someome manages to get, the more "inappropriately" happy they'll just Need to be at other times. Perfectly understandable and if to get happy they have to chuck logic out the window (and appear nuts) I can understand.

Just had to deal with someone like that last week. (But then, also, I've seen it within in myself to a lesser extent when I was younger.)

:) okey doke though, let's try this one on for size my friend -

I think that making a mindful and engaged effort to improve things, including our own efforts and ourselves, can only be a good thing and a great way to cultivate positivity.... and ultimately, to increased productivity and happiness....

It can involve change , or temporary discomfort, but things like that are typically outweighed many times by the benefits of such positive endeavour.

Astrocat , expressor of things

Yes, it's nice thing to say.

I think there's such a thing though as being incapable of having fun at all in the here and now and thus a person has no choice but to focus on the long term; to focus on improving things in the long term because they're "zombified" and just can't have a good time in the short term. (me, at least in the past. Not really now. But it became somewhat of an ingrained way of thinking even after there were better options....) And so being critical, always looking to improve, can go too far. The need to have fun in the present can end up being seriously neglected. We can die tomorrow or in 60 years. Either way, chances are good that life in this world isn't going to be changing much...

I'm just always looking at the other side. I do agree with you actually. I do agree with the sentiments within these quotes very much.

I liked Huxley very much BTW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"A choice is not really a choice, until you act upon it."

"When your values are reflected in your life, your self-esteem

shows it."

"Action, not perfection, create results."

"Reality is something to rise above."

"Happiness is not the destination."

"Respect drives success."

"Take care of you."

"Measures of success are integral to realizing your aspirations."

Nice.

"...Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes." - Charles Swindoll