Kurt's journey to the stage 2010

kurtjs

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, you are getting strong for your bodyweight, and for someone's bodyweight who is much heavier. Well done!

You also have the most awesomely shredded avatar on here!

Well done sir! Keep on rocking, for real.

Thanks Rob, those comments mean a lot to me.

Back to the training. I got the 10 sets of 3 reps with 285 lbs today (straight bar deadlift). I had to use some chalk for the grip. The weight felt pretty heavy. I used more back and less leg than I would have liked. We'll see how I feel next week, regarding if I go up to 295 lbs or stay at 285 lbs and try and get some cleaner reps in.

Today (mon) was deadlift day again. I decided to go up even after last weeks workout. I got it!! 295 lbs for 10 sets of three reps (with belt and chalk for grip). The first 5 sets felt great. The last five sets sucked! But who cares, next week I hit my goal. It's a goal I've had in my head for way too long. 300 + lbs deadlift. Hey, I know to some people this is warm-up weight, but to me this is quite a bit. My weight is hovering around 143-146 lbs (depends on time of day).

(Next week I might just put 315 lbs on the bar and see if I can get a rep or two )

Last week I said I might cut back cals for a bit to give my stomach a break. That didn't work. I increased them this week. i'm up to 3300 cals / day. Man, that's a lot of food for this little body! But it won't be little for too much longer

One more week to get through and then spring break . . . almost half way through the semester. Training has been going great. This will be my last week on the current split/program that I've been doing. This week I hope to hit

Mon.

DEADLIFT

305lbs 10 sets of 3 reps

Weds.

BENCH

175 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps

Fri.

SQUAT

255 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps.

Hey, if I could increase each lift by 100lbs (405 dead, 275 bench, 355 squat = 1035 lbs) and still keep my current bodyweight . . . I bet I could be a national powerlifting champion

This was a great last week of lifting on the split that I was on. Here is a quick recap of last week.

Mon.

DEADLIFT

305lbs 10 sets of 3 reps (check)

Weds.

BENCH

175 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps (check)

Fri.

SQUAT

255 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps. (check)

It feels good to nail what you set out to do. I'm on spring break now (SB 08'). There will be lots of sleeping going on!! I'm taking this week off from the gym . . . sort of. . . i'm going to have a deload type week. My body feels a bit run down. I've been lifting 6 days a week for the past 8 weeks. I'll post some more info about what i plan to do once i get back to school. Until then.

This was a great last week of lifting on the split that I was on. Here is a quick recap of last week.

Mon.

DEADLIFT

305lbs 10 sets of 3 reps (check)

Weds.

BENCH

175 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps (check)

Fri.

SQUAT

255 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps. (check)

It feels good to nail what you set out to do.

It is such an amazing feeling to set goals and achieve them! The definition of success!

I'm on spring break now (SB 08'). There will be lots of sleeping going on!!

Do you mean gettin zzz's, or getting ? Either one is good, yeah buddy!

I'm taking this week off from the gym . . . sort of. . . i'm going to have a deload type week. My body feels a bit run down. I've been lifting 6 days a week for the past 8 weeks. I'll post some more info about what i plan to do once i get back to school. Until then.

Enjoy your time off!

Do you mean gettin zzz's, or getting ? Either one is good, yeah buddy!

Too funny Josh!! I'm sad to say that I'm still a member of the vegan singles club, although I've never posted about that. In other words, I'm getting some zzzzz's.

I'm on spring break now (SB 08'). There will be lots of sleeping going on!! I'm taking this week off from the gym . . . sort of. . . i'm going to have a deload type week. My body feels a bit run down. I've been lifting 6 days a week for the past 8 weeks.

So this is what I said last weekend. ^^^^

And I didn't follow a word of it. I've actually gone to the gym 4 of the last 5 days and killed it!! I've been working out with my friend (NPC bodybuilder) at Gold's Gym in New Haven aka "The Supergym" http://www.thesupergym.com/

That place is so awesome. They have everything you could even want and then some. I can't wait until this summer when I join and can workout there everyday.

My friend has been doing some interesting workouts. He's been having some issues with his triceps and hamstrings (keeps pulling/tearing them). So he's been going lighter, but very high volume!! These workouts have been taking us 2+ hours. They involve some stability stuff (swiss balls, foam pads, . . .), pre-exhaust, and lots of supersets! (INSANE) The goal is to really fatigue and exhaust the muscle . . . and it works. We actually hit quads twice this week. Lets just say I'm glad to be sitting right now.

Okay . . . So I'll prob. take the next three days off (Sat, Sun, and Mon) and then kill it on Tues.

I've been playing with my calories a bit this week. I've still been taking in 3300-3400 cals per day but I switched up the macros a bit. Before I was taking in between 400-500 grams of carbs per day. Since Mon (and until next mon) I've lowered the carbs to 250-300 grams per day. Once next Tues comes around I'm going to jack the carbs up to 600-650 for three days and then settle baack at 450-500.

Where did i get this idea. I'll admit, I read muscle and fitness. I've read it for years and I still enjoy looking through it. This past month they had a huge nutrition special (most of the info I can't use . . . take a guess why) but one "tip" they said was to "flush the system" where you take your current carb intake and cut it in half for 10 days and then when you bring the carbs back up go above what you took in before. They give the example of eating 400g per day, then cutting back to 200-250 per day, then going up to 500 for a couple of days before leveling back at 400. I always try before I make comments. So I'm trying. I let you know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on the board asked me about my current nutrition, since I haven't posted my meals in a while here we go

Meal 1

Gemma protein

Nutribiotic Rice Protein

Oats

Ground Flax seeds

Grapefruit

Meal 2

Gemma Protein

Rice Protein

Brown Rice

Apple

Meal 3 (30 mins before workout)

Pre-workout cocktail

Mainly waxy-maize-starch (60g)

BCAA

Meal 4 (Immed. post workout)

Same as above

Meal 5 (about 1 to 1.5 hours after post workout shake)

Soy Boy Tempeh

Potato

Green Beans

Meal 6

Same as above with less potato

Meal 7

Vega

Steamed frozen veggies

Meal 8 (right before bed)

Gemma Protein

Rice Protein

Peanut Butter

Calories = 3336

Fat = 60 g

Carbs = 447 g

Fiber = 75 g

Protein = 252 g

I went to a good conference in Boston on Friday.

http://neacsm.org/updated/spring2008/meetingsframe.htm

Some good info. For me, these meetings are more about networking and getting my face out there. It's working . . . people know me.

Lifting is going well. Just started a new split for the next 8 weeks. My last 8 weeks before spring break I really focused on the squat, deadlift, and flat bench. I hit new PRs in the dead and flat bench so I'm pumped to do it again. I'm really trying to bring up (strength wise) my bent over row, incline bench, and front squats. I'd like to break 200 lbs on the front squat and would love to hit 225 lbs. We'll see what happens.

Things are crazy right now. I defend my undergraduate thesis this week. If anyone has done this, you know how I feel right now

On a really funny note, I had to take a study break about 10 minutes ago and so I put my name into YAHOO! just for gits and shiggles. Look what I found:

http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php?/archives/2701-Vegan-Bodybuilding.html

I have no clue what the hell this site is about. All I know is that I think this dipsh*t is saying I'm on steriods.

Thanks, you made my weekend!

• 1 month later...

HEY-HO everyone. I know it has been while and too much has happened this last month to go into detail. Things are going well, here are some of the key points:

-I graduate with me BS tomm morning (May 23rd)

-I currently weigh 157 lbs in the eve and 154/5 lbs in the morn (I weighed 125 when this school year started back in Sept).

-My caloric intake is around 3600-3700 cals per day

-Lifting has been going very well. Hands down the strongest I've ever been. I hit 225 lbs on the front squat this week.

-Hopefully this summer I can keep gaining mass and strength. I would love to hit a solid 160 lbs by summer's end. It will be tough cause I eat all day and I'm going to be working a couple of different jobs this summer. Meals will be tough to squeeze in. I'll make do. I'll update lifting soon. I start my new routine June 1st. I go to a conference all next week, so that will be my recovery week.

HEY-HO everyone. I know it has been while and too much has happened this last month to go into detail. Things are going well, here are some of the key points:

-I currently weigh 157 lbs in the eve and 154/5 lbs in the morn (I weighed 125 when this school year started back in Sept).

-Lifting has been going very well. Hands down the strongest I've ever been. I hit 225 lbs on the front squat this week.

-Hopefully this summer I can keep gaining mass and strength. I would love to hit a solid 160 lbs by summer's end. It will be tough cause I eat all day and I'm going to be working a couple of different jobs this summer. Meals will be tough to squeeze in. I'll make do. I'll update lifting soon. I start my new routine June 1st. I go to a conference all next week, so that will be my recovery week.

Thanks for the update Kurt!

Congrats on the BS! I know it's a shit ton of work!

You are getting super strong.

What's your new routine like? I'm still doing the same ole same ole, getting back into it hard now because I took a few weeks off for finals. Good luck!

Thanks for the update Kurt!

Congrats on the BS! I know it's a shit ton of work!

You are getting super strong.

What's your new routine like? I'm still doing the same ole same ole, getting back into it hard now because I took a few weeks off for finals. Good luck!

Josh, there is no doubt that school isn't a lot of work. But I really enjoy it. Lots more schooling to come. But that's a whole different story

The new routine will be a full body split. I'm going to lift three days per week (Mon, Weds, Fri). Each day I will pick one exercise for a body part, and do 2-3 working sets (quads, hams, chest, back, bis, tris, shoulders, [either abs, traps or calves depending on which day of the week]). Mon rep range will be low (2-4), Weds moderate (6-8), and Fri higher (10-12). I will do the same exercises every Mon. The same exercises every Weds. The same exercises every Fri. The key is to always progress. Strive to get at least more reps with the same weight or increase the weight (even if it's 2.5 lbs). Thus, I'm starting beloew my maxes and then hopefully matching them, and then blowing past them. We'll see how it goes. I'm giving myself at least 8 weeks with this split. I need to mix it up a bit. If I like how it feels and the results that I'm getting, I'll stick with it for the rest of the summer.

Congrats on everything! A 30 lb gain? Amazing--can't wait to see updated photos!

Congrats on everything! A 30 lb gain? Amazing--can't wait to see updated photos!

By popular demand, I took some pictures yesterday. I jumped on the scale (158lbs) and then ran outside. First, here is a link to some older pictures.

viewtopic.php?t=10850

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/kurtjs/5-23sidetri-1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/kurtjs/5-23rearrelax-1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/kurtjs/5-23abs-1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/kurtjs/5-23frontrelax-1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/kurtjs/5-23handsMM-1-1-1.jpg

As you can see, I've gained 30 pounds. Mostly in the face!! When I look at myself, I notice the legs have gotten bigger, but so has my waist! I've been doing a lot of deads and squats. Hopefully I can maintain this size and maybe lean out a bit this summer. Stay tuned for more updates.

Kurt,

Congratulations on graduating!! That is awesome.

Also, congratulations on packing on some solid weight. You are looking awesome. Keep it up!!

It looks like I will be moving back to CT by the end of June so maybe we can lift together sometime. I need to find a good gym down there.

Keep up the good work!!!

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:

i MAY compete in another show next spring. I found out that in the NPC they have a bantamweight class, which is 143.25 lbs and under. I think I could do very well in this class. After the last show, I learned that I look small next to bigger people (big suprise). But there was nobody at that show my size. I would really like to see how I look next to people my own weight vs. my own height. The show I'm looking at is in NY during the middle of April. The final call will be based on a couple of factors.

1. What happens with my body this summer. I'm weighing in at 160 lbs right now. I'd like to get to about 170 lbs by November and then start cutting around then or December.

2. The other factor depends on how school goes. I start my master's degree in the fall and I have a lot on my plate. I will see how much time I have to devote to this. For those of you who have not dieted down before, it takes a lot of work and that is an understatement.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Maybe I should change the name of this journal?

Today was the start of my new lifting split. I'm going to try a full-body routine for the next 8 weeks. It will be a 3-day per week program. I'm hoping that lifting only three days per week will enable me to pack on some more weight. Lifting 5-6 days per week burns a lot of cals.

Today was 3 sets of 5 reps of the following exercises:

(Following along if you'd like)

Squats

Lying ham curl

Incline smith machine press

Seated wide grip cable row

Seated military barbell press

Lying triceps extension with olympic bar

Standing olympic bar curls

Roman chair leg raises (3 sets of 25 reps)

Weights were fairly low today. My plan is to start below my 5 rm and by week eight beat my previous PR for each exercise.

Weds will be the same sort of format (1 exercise per body part) but with a higher rep range (6-8 reps)

Friday will be the highest reps (10-12)

I've never done a split like this before for more than a couple of weeks. I'm interested in seeing the progress I will make.

Day two of full body workouts

3 sets of 6-8 reps each

Deadlifts

Hack Squat

Decline DB press

T-bar row (with chest supported)

Dumbell side lateral raises

Hammer strength preacher curl

Cable triceps pressdown

BB shrugs

*Good workout. I have been going to the gym late (6:45 - 7:45). I'm used to going at this time in the morning, so it's a nice change.