Don't nobody wanna squat!

Zack

My problem is that even now that i use heavy enough weights and i have about 140-150hr after 4X10 reps, my muscles are not being that trained.. It seems that my heart limits me..

I have the sense that my legs can tolerate 30% more weight...

Unless you are dead set on squats. I would suggest changing your approach. Given your particualr circumstances, you may find better results on the leg press.

Leg Press: These are the next best to squats and can be done in the same workout or as an alternative, if squats for some reason bother you.

One rep: Place yourself in the leg press machine with your feet slightly apart (foot position may be varied from close to wide and up and down). Lift the platform (sled) off the supports, turn the supports out of the way and slowly lower the weight until your knees touch your chest. Take a deep breath and push the weight hard away from you letting your breath out in the top third of the motion. Do not use momentum and do not lock your knees at the top of the lift.

Another important thing! Make sure you are breathing properly .... nice deep breaths. Since you don't want to get your HR up too much, take 90 sec rests between sets and breathe nice deep and slow, during your rest periods.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are dead set on squats. I would suggest changing your approach. Given your particualr circumstances, you may find better results on the leg press.

Another important thing! Make sure you are breathing properly .... nice deep breaths. Since you don't want to get your HR up too much, take 90 sec rests between sets and breathe nice deep and slow, during your rest periods.

I am training in my home and i don't have access to a leg press machine...

First of all i will use my polar next time i train to be sure what my hr is..

The numbers i said above were measured from my neck so there may be some error..

Then i will work with my breathing..I think i am breathing a little fast and narrow..

Also i will try to relax a little as veganpotter said..

I was actually salivating a bit last night watching some guys squat. I was doing leg press and longed for squatting. I hope to ease back into it in the coming months once I'm checked out and if I can, and can deadlift, Team 200 should be pretty easy to reach.

I do miss the squatting days quite a bit.

I tried this "third world squat" Wednesday at the gym and my legs have finally recovered ...and that was with only squatting 100lbs. It didn't really feel ackward at all - but I normally squat a minimum of 135lbs when I bring my quads parellel to the ground. So it's obvious that my muscles aren't yet trained to go heavy with this kind of squat... but you have to start somewhere, right?

The first time I did them I really had sore groin muscles. Thats something that was never a problem for me with other squats. I think I would have needed to do them for a lot longer to get used to them but I hurt my shoulder and had to retire from my sport before I got used to them. I'm thinking it would have taken me longer than most to get used to them since I did them the standard way from such a young age.