China Study

flanders77

The China Study. I read many books including Robbins and others but this one is really into science. Only one downer: The author was into animal testing in his long carrer. He is still sure that it is okay to kill animals for science which really benefits humans. Nevertheless it is the best books with the most arguments pro veganism and natural food a read.

The Author if this book was speaking at the Taste of Heath Conference in Vancouver, B.C. Canada the same day I was speaking there. In fact, he spoke directly before me so I only caught the last few minutes as I was preparing my own presention about the Vegan Fitness Lifestyle. I hear the book is selling really well. He also sat in the audience and listened to me. I hope he thinks Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness is cool

• 7 months later...
The China Study. I read many books including Robbins and others but this one is really into science. Only one downer: The author was into animal testing in his long carrer. He is still sure that it is okay to kill animals for science which really benefits humans. Nevertheless it is the best books with the most arguments pro veganism and natural food a read.

I'm reading this one right now. I'd seen a lot of this information in bits and pieces in other books and articles, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

I hope a lot of people do, especially health care providers, and take it to heart.

It is a downer that a lot of this info was first based on animal studies. At one point, I just couldn't help imagining those poor rats who were dying of cancer!

On the plus side, his use of animal experiments are something that makes it hard for detractors to say that he is just promoting some animal rights agenda. (But, of course, they will, because they just like to do that! And they're sure to find some way to discount the science, as the only 'legitimate" science is what confirms what they already want to believe).

It's interesting to read some of the reader reviews at www.amazon.com . Without reading the book, and just seeing these, it makes him sound like some kind of crackpot...but isn't that often the case with truth that goes against the status quo?

I'd like to find a site that sells these in quantity discounts, and buy a half dozen to give to various people.

• 2 months later...

Only one downer: The author was into animal testing in his long carrer. He is still sure that it is okay to kill animals for science which really benefits humans.

T. Colin Campbell address this in The China Study:

"One obvious question regarding this issue is whether there was an alternative way to get the same information without using experimental animals. To date, I have found none, even after seeking advice from my 'animal rights' colleagues. These experimental animal studies elaborated some very important principles of cancer causation not obtainable in human-based studies. These principles now have enormous potential to benefit all our fellow creatures, our environment and ourselves."

I obviously cannot verify that he that he did in fact seek such advice, nor do I know who his animal rights colleagues are. Regardless, he does make a prety good point, but like I can definitely see how one could argue against it as well.

Finished the book this week and I think it was really good.

I have a tendency not to believe the real "out there" conspiracy theories but the last half of the book is hard to deny since he actually was there himself and saw it all and he writes in such a way that it hard not to believe him.

The nutrition information in the first half of the book are of course nothing new to us health nuts in here, but the information is put out well and can be used in arguments with people who believe a little meat (which for most people mean twice a day instead of three times a day) isn't hurtful.

• 1 month later...

My acupuncturist just moved into a new office (bigger and better) and something new he's doing is having a lending library. I'm going to buy an extra copy (mine is all annotated, for future reference!) of this, Robbins' "The Diet Revolution" Brazier's "Thrive" and offer them to him to put in the lending library (along with some DVD's I have, like some by Dr. Greger, and "Eating" and "Vegan Fitness: Built Naturally"). If all else fails, at least he will look them over before he decides to add them to the collection.

I think China Study and Diet Revolution complement each other well. Campbell represents more the 'head' (science) and Robbin's more the 'heart,' but the end result they are seeking is the same.