I want to make a routine, gimme your tasty advice

Richard

Yo, I want to get back to having a routine. When I was at university, I'd go to the gym on average about 5 times a week, and had set things I'd do to target body parts. Now I want to get back into a routine like that, see what you losers think. My target is mainly to lose fat, but also tone up.

Monday:

30 minutes cardio

200 squats (in total)

200 calf raises (in total)

100 side leg raises with each leg (so 200 in total)

Tuesday:

30 minutes cardio

200 ab crunches (total)

100 leg raises (total)

Wednesday:

30 minutes cardio

50 chin-ups (in total)

Bicep curls 10, 8, 6

Hammer curls 10, 8, 6

Thursday:

30 minutes cardio

200 ab crunches (total)

100 leg raises (total)

Friday:

30 minutes cardio

200 pushups (in total)

lateral shoulder raises: 10, 8, 6

front shoulder raises: 10, 8, 6

dumbbell shoulder press: 10, 8, 6

Saturday & Sunday:

Sit on my ass

If you want to do it 5 days a week, it leaves things pretty open.

If you plan on running a few days a week, hitting your legs hard one day probably won't be a good plan due to recovery time.

M Cardio + Chest/Tris

T Cardio + Back/Bis

W Cardio + Shoulders

T Cardio + Abs ?

F Cardio + Legs

I'd leave the legs for friday, squats take a lot out of you. Doing that on monday would leave your legs no time to rest before more cardio. That way you could recover over the weekend with the legs, if you're just wanting to tone shouldn't have to hammer the legs too hard, the weekend would likely be adequate to recover.

Thanks Captain Zack. Yeah that makes sense putting legz on Friday

Are you trying to focus extensively on bodyweight exercises? I would throw in some dips.

Yeah I want to focus a lot on bodyweight. Where should dips go in? With chest exercises?

Chest/Triceps.

Yep, like Zack said. If you keep your elbows into your sides and try to keep your body vertical, you will hit the triceps harder. If you let your arms go wider and sort of lean your chest horizontally, you will hit your chest more.

Triceps version: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtTriDip.html

Chest version: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/AsChestDip.html

Didn't read what the other losers think, but i think this:

- Looks like an okayish fitness routine.

- Do strengthening exercises first, then cardio.

- Do only one curling exercise.

- Drop the front raises, and preferably the lateral raises, too.

- Add something for the lower back.

- Why do you not stick to the total rep idea for curls and overhead presses as well? Makes much more sense to me.

- Make sure you progress by slowly increasing resistance or volume over time.

Cool, thanks. What can I do for my lower back?

The reason I have different aims when using weights, is because I let the reps decide how much weight I am lifting. With the other exercises, it's just bodyweight. If I was to do the same with the weights, I wouldn't know what weight to lift for that many times, if you see what I mean. Do you think it's better to set a target and work from there, and see how easy it is to complete?

Cool, thanks. What can I do for my lower back?

Deadlifts are the best. I do them on leg days just because it also works legs.

If you don't want to do those, you can do reverse situps..hyperextensions I suppose they are called.

What do you mean about the reverse situp? Do you mean laying flat on the ground, face down, and lifting your head and shoulders up, or do you mean the thing where you hook your ankles in and have to lift your whole upperbody? I used to do those at the gym, but don't have access to that piece of apparatus at home

Second one.

I'm sure when you use your imagination you can find something to replace that piece of apparatus.

I use a wall and a small sofa lol. Works fine.

Stand with your back facing the wall and sofa(backside) infront of you. Use the wall to block your feet and use the backside of the sofa to support your hip region.(mind your crotch!)

Start!

U can do them weighted by holding a weight behind your head.

- Drop the front raises, and preferably the lateral raises, too.

Why's that?

Richard - my only advice is to get something that works for you that you'll actually do. The only workout I've ever seen people be successful with are the ones that keep them going to the gym. Everything else just looks good on paper but doesn't do much in the long run.

I hope what you come up with from this post works

Richard - my only advice is to get something that works for you that you'll actually do. The only workout I've ever seen people be successful with are the ones that keep them going to the gym. Everything else just looks good on paper but doesn't do much in the long run.

I hope what you come up with from this post works

Yeah exactly. I am doing this at home, not at the gym. I imagine I can physically stick to this routine, but I wanted to know what people think of the exercises, if they're optimum, or if I could replace some with others to get the most out of my workouts.

Vegandude, could you give me a bit more detail about that sofa idea? To me it sounds like your legs would be vertical behind the sofa, but your legs are meant to be horizontal aren't they?

I've been doing dips today. They are a m*therfucker! I managed a set of 8, the rest of the sets have been less, but I am going to aim for 50 total to start with. So today has been chest and tris. I might do some behind the head raisey things with dumbbells whatever they are called, and then the cardio, as well as the pushups I've done. It's been pretty shimple so far.

I've been doing dips today. They are a m*therfucker! I managed a set of 8, the rest of the sets have been less, but I am going to aim for 50 total to start with. So today has been chest and tris. I might do some behind the head raisey things with dumbbells whatever they are called, and then the cardio, as well as the pushups I've done. It's been pretty shimple so far.

Awesome Work Richard. They'll get easier as you keep being consistent with your training! Which you won't have a problem with anyway