Myspace vs. Facebook

joelbct

So after just a few days of Facebook, I deleted my Myspace account.

Facebook has gotten some bad press, but I think it is a better app for my purposes. No spam, far fewer advertisements, and the interface is much more pleasant. And some of the user-generated 'apps" are pretty cool and amusing.

The controversy over privacy has gotten some press, but Facebook is very very customizable in terms of who sees what, moreso than Myspace. As with anything computer related, just don't install everything you see, and do tweak the options so your cyber-life isn't an open book.

Myspace is still good for publicity and PR I think, but Facebook seems better for college campuses, companies, and actual social use.

And I like the 'I am Vegan' app

I was one of the first 3 million profiles on Myspace and have been on there for more than 4 years and just signed up on facebook yesterday. I'm still partial to myspace and still like it better, but maybe as I learn how to use facebook more, I'll like it as much.

I like social network sites, forums and these types of online ways to reach people with similar interests.

OK,

I'll admit it. After only a few hours, I'm already having fun on facebook. But I won't get caught up in it like I did with myspace.

Granted, myspace worked to get roommates, new friends, dates, and allowed me to build a community, share news, get people to support my projects, etc.

But I'll try not to get too caught up in facebook. I am having some fun though.

Day #3 on facebook while on vacation

Canada rules my little network:

* Vancouver, BC (7)

* Toronto, ON (4)

* Portland, OR (3)

* Sweden (3)

* Spain (2)

* Australia (2)

* Seattle, WA (2)

Please search Robert Cheeke and find me. I'm having fun! I even got in touch with people I haven't seen in 5 years, kind of like the myspace effect, but even more so, since I never found this people in 4 years on myspace.

Old friends are coooooooo.

I love facebook and hate myspace. I only have a myspace because when I first got facebook, it was only at certain schools. So I used myspace to keep in touch with my non-facebook friends. But now that facebook is open to everyone I'm thinking about deleting my myspace account.

If anyone wants to add me, search for Anastasia in the Houston, TX network.

Edited by anastasia

Facebook rules. Real people there.

Myspace is a ghetto..you never really know who's on there. It's got its uses, but i'll much prefer FB. For staying in touch with people, i think it's a million times better, and as Robert's discovered, for actually *finding* people it's amazing.

Myspace is a ghetto..you never really know who's on there. It's got its uses, but i'll much prefer FB. For staying in touch with people, i think it's a million times better, and as Robert's discovered, for actually *finding* people it's amazing.

Yeah well.. it doesn't count when you steal my friends

We now have 26 friends in common !

I'm finding a lot of my own friends too! Or were you suggesting Noisy took your friends? I'm having so much fun connecting with old cruise ship friends from 4 years ago who live in all corners of the world. It's great!!!

I was referring to Dave. I'm only bugging though because

I took some of his friends that turned into mine.

I think it's cool how ppl meet ppl through others !!

I had over 200 friend requests today on facebook and PM's I have yet to wade though (daughter is in charge of it over the weekend). AND it's slower than molasses in January. Other than that, I've made professional contacts, so gotta keep it for now.

I'm on facebook at the moment and haven't even logged into myspace yet.

I don't mean to be a flip-flopper, but so far, facebook rules I just hadn't ever used it before.

Now, it's pretty sweet and I'm still learning the ropes. Lots more to learn.

Yeah well.. it doesn't count when you steal my friends :lol:

haha..uh, yeah, right... MY bad. hahaha

Back off - get your own friends!!!! =P

I'm on facebook at the moment and haven't even logged into myspace yet.

I don't mean to be a flip-flopper, but so far, facebook rules I just hadn't ever used it before.

Now, it's pretty sweet and I'm still learning the ropes. Lots more to learn.

That is how I am thinking All this time I had been boycotting facebook, like I thought I was too cool for it, and now I prefer it to Myspace after just 2 weeks!

I dig the "I am Vegan" app....

Yeah well.. it doesn't count when you steal my friends

You can have some of mine .... I still have 400 pending and the facebook server is SO slow. I try to wade through and approve the agencies or photographers first. Maybe I'll get back to it at some point today.

Just checking this out...how would I get rid of the Mini feed? What the heck is that for? People can see every action you took on your page?

And it requires you use your lastname to register -- is there a way to get it off?

Never used one of these pages, no myspace or other page (only a Blogger a long time ago); so I have no idea how to even deal with this thing.

Just checking this out...how would I get rid of the Mini feed? What the heck is that for? People can see every action you took on your page?

And it requires you use your lastname to register -- is there a way to get it off?

Never used one of these pages, no myspace or other page (only a Blogger a long time ago); so I have no idea how to even deal with this thing.

It requires input in the lastname field, but it doesn't have the capability to check and see if it's your real last name. You can put anything there - or just an initial.

Vancouver just got passed by Portland as my largest "network"

* Portland, OR (20)

* Vancouver, BC (19)

* Toronto, ON (9)

* Australia (9)

* Sweden (7)

* Portland State (6)

* Los Angeles, CA (5)

It has a lot of international flavor to it so far