Day "owl" or Night owl?

robert

I've noticed that a bunch of people on here are Night owls. I've been somewhat of a night owl myself lately.

So, are you someone who functions well during the day and goes to bed early or are you up working away or playing away while most are sleeping?

i'd rather be up during the day when the sun is out as it has a better psychological effect on me than if im up during the night.

I'm not sure why i am up more during the night, probably because its just convenient for me currently.

I start work at 8:30 am so by default I am a daytime person.

I'm not sure what would work best for me if I had a choice. When I worked swing shift 10 years ago at a restaurant (3pm-11pm) I usually went to bed around 4 am and slept until noon.

I function equally well(or maybe equally poorly) at all times of day. So I basically post in the regular morning...then late at night/early morning. And if I'm not on my bike in the middle of the day I'm on here then too.

Never been a day person, ever. I was always that kid who wanted to stay up late, and once I was able to at my own will, I became a complete night owl and haven't changed back.

High school was 5 hours' sleep (2 AM to 7 AM) on the average day.

Early days of work were about the same - we'd drive 90 minutes to Rockford, Illinois to the skatepark after work like 3x/week during the winter (or, go out for late-night sessions during the summer), come home, get 4-6 hours' sleep at best, do it all over again.

Now I need more sleep (I don't do well on less than 7 hours), but bedtime is never before 3 AM, and sometimes doesn't happen until the sun comes up if I'm working extra-late.

I wish I could adapt to being a morning person - on the rare occasions I'm up at 8 AM I feel like I have the whole world ahead of me, but it takes everything out of me to get up that early. My internal clock is just screwed up to only like to get up late and stay up even later. If I had to work for someone else I'd have to learn to re-adapt to the average work schedule, but for now, I'll be the guy going to bed when most people are getting up

• 2 weeks later...

I knew you were a night owl VE

I'm becoming one too, as of late. Time for bed! It's just so quiet at night and there is so much that can be done without distraction. Waking up is always the hard part if you like being a day and night owl at the same time.

I wonder if age has anything to do with it?

Any thoughts on that?

Young people and those in college tend to stay up quite late because of the social entertainment, whereas people who are older and work a typical 9-5 or 8-4 job, will have to get up earlier and go to bed later.

I've always enjoyed setting my own hours. I've worked 6-2 jobs, 7-3 jobs. 8-4 jobs and 9-5 jobs. I've even worked swing and night shifts a few times.

I prefer to wake up when I like and go to bed when I like.

10PM-2AM is a great time to work as a writer and many other jobs. It's quiet and seems to be a creative time of day to be awake.

I'm both! Sometimes it's nice to stay up late around 2 or 3 am because it's quiet. But it can also be pleasnt getting up in the morning hearing the birds wake up, and seeing the sunrise.

I think I'm changing my mind on this one. Since I started living with my brother and his 2 girls, nighttime has been anything but quiet!

Edited by hsorlando

I'm a total night person/insomniac most of the time. I'd rather be a morning person, though. I find that when I make myself get up early and work out before work, around 6am, that I'm able to get my sleep schedule on track. Otherwise it's really hard for me to fall asleep at night.

well, i guess i do have more tendency to stay up late. it's soo much quieter at the gym. love it

Me too, I love going to the gym around as late as 10pm ... and sometimes later

But ideally I'd rather be a morning person, oh well, I just adjust as needed

You keep avoiding me at the gym!

I didn't get out of there until around 9:30 tonight. But I do want to get there in the morning or mid-day. Parking is a huge issue at night too!!!

I'm getting up early tomorrow for a long day in Eugene so I should sleep soon!

You keep avoiding me at the gym!

Ahhh, guilty! just kidding! Actually I've been working out with my roommates and between the three of our schedules getting to the gym has been all over the place and kind of spontaneous... we're like "you wanna go?" "ok, let's go!" ....Next time this happens I'll just call you! You seem to go around 7pm... isn't it like prime busy-ness??

yeah, it is busy at that time, but I tend to do work stuff during the day and when it comes to around 5PM and some key store people have left for the day and post office and banks are closed, I go home, eat, check e-mail and head to the gym

But I want to go in the morning or mid-day.

Even the Bye and Bye guys go to our gym, and tons of other people from Organic Athlete members to our Vega team, to forum members, and other people we know.

Good times!

Go........2.......Bed!!!!!!! cheep cheep.....eeeep eeeep