runner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No suprise here: closest - Guiliani, farthest Obama

A little suprised here, Second Test: closest -Thompson, farthest Obama

thought that you would like to have general insurance for US

Good question and this is a heated argument here in the US.

First what many do not know, is the low income (such as my sister was..... guidelines in MD for her family are below $32,000 is considered poverty) had complete medical coverage through the government, this includes all her hospital expenses, medication and continued rehabilitation (which has shown no change in over a year). Those just above may qualify for partial coverage. The media doesn't tell you that.

The state coverage is "cattle boat" style, and you get who you get, as far as medical care. The existing free coverage is already a disaster.

No, my med bills are far lower than my taxes would be should this occur. I can get catastrophic insurance much cheaper. I live in an area where 75-80% of the women are overweight and half of them are obese. I do not want to pay for them having medical problems because they can't stop being a glutton.

I happen to be middle class, the more I make the more I pay for them. I do not qualify financially for med insurance through the government, but don't want my already high taxes to increase. The more successful, financially, I become, the more I am penalized. Your head would spin if you knew what I paid in taxes last year.

The US is also a huge country. That being said, if the Feds had control over funding it would be a disaster from state to state. If they gave the individual states more control or privatized it, it may work. But thus far I have not seen plan #1 that would work.

MD taxes just went up again. I'm looking at moving to DE right now, one of the states with the lowest personal tax burden (and no sales tax).

Bah, US tax rates are already amongst the lowest in the developed world. Just because you are pissed off that you don't get free health care and your sister does, doesn't mean that she doesn't deserve it. It's the system that is messed up. Everyone should get free health care. It's a basic right.

It is clearly demonstrated, empirically and statistically, that nations with high levels of social welfare also have the highest standards of living.

The US has a huge gap between the richest and poorest people, and it is ing. I deplore any administration or system that reinforces this.

Jonathan

Bah, US tax rates are already amongst the lowest in the developed world. Just because you are pissed off that you don't get free health care and your sister does, doesn't mean that she doesn't deserve it. It's the system that is messed up. Everyone should get free health care. It's a basic right.

It is clearly demonstrated, empirically and statistically, that nations with high levels of social welfare also have the highest standards of living.

The US has a huge gap between the richest and poorest people, and it is ing. I deplore any administration or system that reinforces this.

Jonathan

Beautiful! Now if we can get the majority of Americans to think that way.

$32000...I wish it were that high for the minimum for everyone. I make around $10,000 and I can only apply for lousy medicade...I may not even get if it I tried.

As for healthcare for free I think that would be great but it has to be done within reason. Americans will take advantage of free healthcare and become even more unhealthy than they already are. People need to be accountable for what they do to themselves before they make others pay for things that they caused.

Americans don't care about anything. We can all vote but only about half of us do vote. We have some of the best colleges in the world but most people go and drink half the time. We have access to an abundance of healthy food but only a small percentage of people actually eat it. Everyone here is selfish but they don't realize that the best way for them to continue being selfish is taking care of themselves...Americans want to feel good now because they think they can pay for their health later...and unfortunately many people will be able to do that while others will die thinking the same.

Actually, US taxes are not that low. I pay less income tax (including National Insurance) here in the UK than I did in the US. But the system of rates is different. I think that rich people probably pay less tax in the US than do rich people in the UK. But for those less-than-rich of us, income tax seems to be lower here than in the US.

Anyway, back to health care... it's completely wrong to think that in the US we don't pay for other people's health care. We do, through our taxes and through the things we buy (companies have to factor the cost of insuring their employees into the cost of their products). We pay for Medicaid and Medicare and for the treatment that is provided for those who don't have any form of coverage at all (e.g., when they go to the ER either for an accident or an illness that they have not been able to get earlier treatment for). It's just that in addition to tax money going towards health care, there are also those pesky premiums to pay for one's own coverage.

Very true...in the case of absolute and immediate emergencies...hospitals cannot deny care...it doesn't matter how rich or poor you are...or if you're in the US legally or not. They may send you a bill later on but if you don't pay it the govt. does...and they just keep hounding you. Its the things like cancer, transplants, everyday care that they won't help you with if you're on the fringe of not qualifying for medicaid. There's a weird range in income where if your under it you can get medicaid but if your a bit over you can't get anything then you need to pay upwards of $400 a month for insurance which would really mean you make less than the person on medicaid...really puzzling the way our system works.

Clinton

Whey the eye roll dontxhide.

If your political stance is closest to Hilary's, even if that suprised you, I think its worth examining. It's not about who we like, it's about who is best in line with what is important to us as individuals IMHO

Closest, Ron Paul, farthest Fred Thompson

Interesting Poll!!! Thanks for posting it

A good portion of those questions were loaded with illogical fallacies on those tests. I am too different from anyone other than Ron Paul on most of the ideas they were projecting. You have to fix education before you can do anything concrete. Stop telling kids that christopher columbus was a good man and please mention that all of the presidents up to the emancipation proclamation owned slaves. The genocide of an entire race of humans can maybe be put into better perspective. There is also no word of speciesism. I would like to see the question "If everyone lived as an american do you think it would be sustainable?" just to see the answer.

I dont even make 12k a year after the government takes its money to pay for bureaucracies. most of what is spent goes to administrators, very little goes to helping those in need. Like our governor cut millions in social funding so he could line his private jets with lambskin! As for government run healthcare I go to the DMV, the post office, the police, our public schools, even the military. None of it works very well and most are not satisfied with what they get. It makes me wonder about what kind of services a government medical scheme would give. I even work with a lot of people on medicare and medicade and getting VA services. I dont get a very good picture from these folks. Its just like the HMO insurance. They do their best to get caught up in red tape and deny payments. Lots of forms. Not to say its all bad, but its certainly not an ideal to be moving towards. Potter makes a great point that we should care for ourselves as best as we can. But like Dr. Paul points out, if we end the war immediately we can stop spending money over there for no reason, and have it over here to help people out. I'm sure a huge deficit in the care of the needy will be taken care of with $1 trillion + a year even after the bureaucrats take their cut.

What fascinates me about ron paul is the extreme variety amongst his supporters. From conservatives to hippies, many different "types" of people support him. I find that to be interesting.

Unfortunately for Paul this is whats gonna lose it for him in the primary. He should have saved his money for running as an independent. So far he's been lucky in that in Iowa and New Hampshire independents can vote for republicans. Take away the independents and he wouldn't get 3% of the republican vote in most cases. In many large states you need to be registered to a party to vote in the primary...it seems a lot of Ron Paul lovers are registered democrats....and most republicans think he's a whacko the same way people see Kucinich. The real difference between the two of them is that democrats like what Kucinich says but still think he's crazy...republicans don't like Paul at all and think he's crazy...its gets both of them nowhere.