Vega - can anyone help?

Hi all,

I have an issue I need help with: I love Vega powder, and am now able to get it from a variety of places in the UK. The only problem is that it gives me really bad wind!!! It's not just a little bit of wind either; it's really at a point where I can't take the powder because it's too much of a problem. Does anyone have this issue, and does anyone know how to sort it out?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I have an issue I need help with: I love Vega powder, and am now able to get it from a variety of places in the UK. The only problem is that it gives me really bad wind!!! It's not just a little bit of wind either; it's really at a point where I can't take the powder because it's too much of a problem. Does anyone have this issue, and does anyone know how to sort it out?

Thanks.

How much of a serving are you taking? And what is your eating habits during the day?

I found when I went off it. My body stopped feeling awful. I was taking way too much protein in my diet.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Since I'm staying with Brendan who made Vega, I just read him this question. He said, "It's perfectly normal. The chlorella in Vega is very cleansing and those are common symptoms when taking it. It will go away and try to ease into it, maybe starting with 1/4 serving."

He also mentioned the new packaging will reflect possible gas effects initially due the cleansing properties of chlorella. But it does go away. I get gas from other foods these days, not from Vega.

Brendan "never" has gas or stomach problems. He eats so cleanly and efficiently, he's always feeling well. It amazes me every time I hang out with him. I always want to be more like him when it comes to that aspect.

But anyway, it's common and will go away. Just use smaller serving sizes to start with.

All the best!

sneakymartian, if you don't have a specific time you "have to" take it, you might want to take it at bedtime . Of course, if you're not alone, that would be an even worse time

If not, however, the wind should have died down by morning

Why take it at bed time? It seems like a waste

sneakymartian, if you don't have a specific time you "have to" take it, you might want to take it at bedtime . Of course, if you're not alone, that would be an even worse time

Bedtime is when your muscles regrow.

Makes sense.

I have my protein about an hr after my training.

I should see what happens if I take it before bed.

But you need more protein then I do anyways muscle man

Rocky took his raw eggs before bedtime didn't he?

This might be considered a reason NOT to eat (Vega or anything..)

If you eat near bedtime, then energy is being diverted away from healing muscles, etc, and used for digestion and absorption.

It might make more sense to eat well before bed, and not eat anything close to bedtime, and let your body focus on healing instead..

I know i feel a lot better in the morning when i avoid eating later on...

This might be considered a reason NOT to eat (Vega or anything..)

If you eat near bedtime, then energy is being diverted away from healing muscles, etc, and used for digestion and absorption.

It might make more sense to eat well before bed, and not eat anything close to bedtime, and let your body focus on healing instead..

I know i feel a lot better in the morning when i avoid eating later on...

I have a tough time believing this. As Troy posted is his post on top ten post workout myths by Dave Barr:

2. Pre workout Nutrition will divert blood flow away from muscles during the workout. (MTYH)

One of a plethora of excuses made in an attempt to resist preworkout nutrition; this myth actually makes a lot of sense…until you become familiar with the physiology of hormones. Looking deeper, we can find that the insulin stimulated by food intake, actually enhances blood flow and subsequent nutrient delivery to muscles (Coggins et al., 2001).

Applying this principle, liquid pre workout meal consumption dramatically increases muscle blood flow and protein synthesis (Tipton et al., 2001). This elevation in muscle growth is at least twice that observed with the same drink taken post workout (Tipton et al., 2001)! In fact, this effect even lasts for an hour after the workout, so it’s like having 2 drinks for the price of 1! If you want more detail on this topic check out the article on Arginine blood flow stimulators.

Fortunately, early resistance to this research is falling by the wayside, and people are finally starting to reap the benefits that this practice has to offer. While "pre workout nutrition" just doesn’t sound as sexy as "post workout nutrition," actually doubling our muscle growth should seem pretty damn sexy to everyone!

I know this was talking about pre-workout, but I'm sure it's similar before bed. If you go to bed hungry (or haven't eaten in awhile) your just going go into a catabolic state. In other words, your body will actually use the amino acids in your tissues to sythesize new glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Hell, I have something to eat right before I go to bed and I've been waking up in the night to eat something. You wouldn't go 8-10 hours during the day without eating something would you? But we all have different goals and different bodies. I feel fine when in the morning when I wake up doing this.

Any places on mainland Europe? The shipping costs from the UK are ridiculous... It's cheaper to get it directly from the US since the dollar sucks and thus everything somehow becomes cheaper (including shipping). The GBP and the Euro however are quite sturdy ones, unfortunately..

Edited by offense74

I feel fine when in the morning when I wake up doing this.

I would feel like pooh if I had to ride for 3-4 hrs the next morning.

But we all have different goals and different bodies

Yours and everyone else's point. Enough said

Edited by Tasha

I know this was talking about pre-workout, but I'm sure it's similar before bed.

How so -- do you stress your body and go into anaerobic states dozens of times for up to a couple hours immediate before going to bed? ;)

I'm sorry, but what he's talking about isn't anything like going to bed.

It's also important to look at what he's saying -- i doubt he's saying 'eat a meal before workouts' -- i'm pretty sure he's talking about very *specific* nutrition.

If you go to bed hungry (or haven't eaten in awhile) your just going go into a catabolic state. In other words, your body will actually use the amino acids in your tissues to sythesize new glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Um...only if you haven't eaten enough carbs prior to going to bed.

The trick is to plan ahead a bit, and eat ALL the food you need a few hours before going to bed. If you need, say, 3,000 calories in the day, and you eat them all by 8pm, aren't you then OVEREATING if you eat afterwards? Isn't that going to result in adipose production?

You wouldn't go 8-10 hours during the day without eating something would you? But we all have different goals and different bodies. I feel fine when in the morning when I wake up doing this.

Good grief man, how can you compare the state your body is in while sleeping to being active during the day?

I don't think i've ever heard of *anyone* recommending getting up in the middle of the night to eat. So yes, going 8-10hrs without food is perfectly normal, healthy, and desirable.

Your body also doesn't heal or regenerate while you're awake -- why else are we even sleeping?

That's great if you feel fine. I felt 'fine' too. I feel 'better than fine' when i don't eat before bed. And i like feeling 'better than fine'.

It's also important to look at what he's saying -- i doubt he's saying 'eat a meal before workouts' -- i'm pretty sure he's talking about very *specific* nutrition.

Actually, I've read that a lot of people recommend solid food before such as a sources of easy to digest protein (protein powder) and some low GI carbs (whole grain bread or oatmeal). Of course there are tons of people who have their special mixes that they drink

The trick is to plan ahead a bit, and eat ALL the food you need a few hours before going to bed. If you need, say, 3,000 calories in the day, and you eat them all by 8pm, aren't you then OVEREATING if you eat afterwards? Isn't that going to result in adipose production?

It will result in fat if those calories are in excess of what you need. Just because it's the middle of the night doesn't change the laws of thermodynamics (calories in vs. calories out). For example, I currently do take in 3000 cals a day and this includes the midnight feeding. If I took in 3000 cals before bed and then had this shake on top of that (+200 cals = 3200 cals) then I would have a higher chance of it being stored as fat because it's in higher excess of what I need.

I don't think i've ever heard of *anyone* recommending getting up in the middle of the night to eat. So yes, going 8-10hrs without food is perfectly normal, healthy, and desirable.

There are plenty of people who recommend eating in the middle of the night. Usually these comments are referring to bodybuilders and not your regular weekend warriors or fitness buffs.

That's great if you feel fine. I felt 'fine' too. I feel 'better than fine' when i don't eat before bed. And i like feeling 'better than fine'.

To each his own

I know this was talking about pre-workout, but I'm sure it's similar before bed.

How so -- do you stress your body and go into anaerobic states dozens of times for up to a couple hours immediate before going to bed?

I'm sorry, but what he's talking about isn't anything like going to bed.

If you go to bed hungry (or haven't eaten in awhile) your just going go into a catabolic state. In other words, your body will actually use the amino acids in your tissues to sythesize new glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Um...only if you haven't eaten enough carbs prior to going to bed.

You wouldn't go 8-10 hours during the day without eating something would you? But we all have different goals and different bodies. I feel fine when in the morning when I wake up doing this.

Good grief man, how can you compare the state your body is in while sleeping to being active during the day?

Your body also doesn't heal or regenerate while you're awake -- why else are we even sleeping?

You have an obnoxious tone to your posts and an apparent attitude problem. Can't you just give advice while not sounding like an ass?