Wetsuit for swimming in cold water?

Ralph13

If any triathletes or swimmers here know, what is a good triathlon wetsuit that will keep a person reasonably warm (or at least keep them from going hypothermic) when the water is very, very cold (below 60 degrees)? I'd like to participate in a triathlon this year, and also swim recreationally in cold water.

I'm sure I would need neoprene gloves and booties at those temps, too (at least for recreational swimming; I know they probably wouldn't hold a race if the water was so cold you'd need booties), so if anyone has any recommendations for those it would be helpful.

The ORBEA ORCA is the best wet suit you can buy. Its about $600 but it'll mean you'll need less energy to float and you can put it all into going forward. Zoot makes a great wet suit thats much cheaper. Blue Seventy makes warm swim gloves that also have webbing for a little strength training...they also make decent wet suit booties but pretty much all of them take away your kick...at least you won't lose your toes though.

Thing is you should do all your training in a wet suit. Some races aren't wet suit legal and if you can't swim well without one you'll be in trouble.

The ORBEA ORCA is the best wet suit you can buy. Its about $600 but it'll mean you'll need less energy to float and you can put it all into going forward. Zoot makes a great wet suit thats much cheaper. Blue Seventy makes warm swim gloves that also have webbing for a little strength training...they also make decent wet suit booties but pretty much all of them take away your kick...at least you won't lose your toes though.

Thing is you should do all your training in a wet suit. Some races aren't wet suit legal and if you can't swim well without one you'll be in trouble.

Thanks for the tip. I think most of the triathlons in the greater Portland area (where I plan on moving) allow wetsuits, but I will do some wetsuit-free training too. I will look at all those wetsuits.

I hope they let you wear wet suits at all the races...I couldn't imagine swimming up there for more than maybe a month or two...and even then it would be pretty darn cold.