getting "firm"?

This may be a dumb question, but I keep wondering if I'm doing something wrong...I've been lifting weights for a few months now and while I definitely see more definition, especially when I flex, I still feel like my body is mostly flabby when my muscles are relaxed. Aren't you supposed to get firmer if you work out? Is it just something that takes time?

You will get more dense even when relaxed but you'll never have muscles that are hard as a rock relaxed. Just look at muscular Olympic swimmers. Before they get in the pool they jiggle their muscles around while relaxing them...it doesn't look much different than fat when they do that and these are people with really low BF.

"Firmness" can also be impacted by overall bodyfat. If you gain muscle but don't lose fat, you may see more defiition, but with the same fat covering muscle you're not necessarily going to feel more firm because of the fatty tissue surrounding the good stuff. If you wanted to have a physique that always felt "firm", then you'd have to maintain a very low body fat percentage all the time - that's just the way it goes. And, as has already been said, muscle is not rock-hard by nature when it's in a relaxed state, so while muscle with minimal fat over it will feel harder than muscle covered by fat, a relaxed muscle will not feel the same as one that's tensed up in a flexed position as well.

Hope this helps!

yes, I was also going to say what Vegan Essentials said.

You probably have sculpted some beautiful muscle underneath but until a solid diet is really followed, you won't see those pretty muscles that you've sculpted.

For me, what has worked has been 1 gram per pound of bodyweight of Vegan protein, limite amounts of complex carbs, at least 4 green veggie servings a day, limited fruits and healthy fats in limited amounts spaced out every three hours.

A solid diet along with a good amount of cardio and your regular weight routine will allow you to see those muscles you've formed

yes, I was also going to say what Vegan Essentials said.

You probably have sculpted some beautiful muscle underneath but until a solid diet is really followed, you won't see those pretty muscles that you've sculpted.

For me, what has worked has been 1 gram per pound of bodyweight of Vegan protein, limite amounts of complex carbs, at least 4 green veggie servings a day, limited fruits and healthy fats in limited amounts spaced out every three hours.

A solid diet along with a good amount of cardio and your regular weight routine will allow you to see those muscles you've formed

I third that