Vegan in Hong Kong

Bill

Hello Everyone!

I am an American living in Hong Kong, getting an MA, working part time. I lived in Mainland China for six years, but am from Colorado.

Anyway, I was really into lifting from ages 16-22. And was a vegan for two years. Unfortunately, I went back to the dark side, and started using animal products while in China. Had I been more informed at the time (especially about the raw food movement), I easily could have pulled off being a vegan in China, as they have great amounts of nuts, seeds, beans, fruits and veggies.

So now, I've been lifting fairly hardcore for the last six months, and have been a vegan again (moving towards raw). I'm also running a lot, and am training for a half marathon.

Besides lifting and running, I'm really into politics, languages, traveling, literature, and other sports (hiking, skiing, basketball, swimming, tennis..etc.)

So, I'm excited to have found this website!

Hi DV! most likely I will stay in Hong Kong or China after I graduate. My wife (who is from Mainland China) is getting her MBA right now. We'll probably look for jobs in Hong Kong, but might go back to the US (our eventual goal) or maybe in Mainland China.

Offense74, I'f you ever come to HK, let me know!

Plenty of the dried mock meat stuff I buy comes from Taiwan, how close is that to Hong Kong? Bill its great to have you on the forum I have a lot of interest in that region so maybe I can pick your brain. Can you offer some tips to stay vegan over there? Like dishes to stay away from....just whatever comes to your mind.

Yeah, you can get some mock meat from Taiwan in HK (good for stir-fries and the like). However, they have locally-made goose, duck, and chicken, all for 9 HK dollars (which is a little over a $USD).

Hong Kong has some good vegetarian restuarants as well.

You can buy tons of different fruits, nuts, seeds, and the like. In some ways, it would almost be better to be veg/raw in Mainland China, as all those things are dirt cheap (like a big bag of kale of 25 cents US).

In China or HK, they tend to put small slices of pork in veg dishes for flavor's sake, so you have to watch out for that. They also often cook with animal stocks.

Anyway, if you have any questions about China or HK, feel free to ask me. I'm basically fluent in Mandarin, and I'm a co-Admin of the site Chinese Forums:

www.chinese-forums.com

Hey Bill, welcome to the forums. I was just in HK over New Year's wrapping up a month in S.E. Asia. Cool city! We were only there for a day and a half so we didn't try much in the way of cuisine. We did go to the "Light Vegetarian Restaurant" on Jordan Rd at Nathan Rd, Kowloon. It was close to our hotel. A couple of Indian guys sitting beside us recommended a south Indian vegetarian restaurant on the corner of Peking and Lock Sts in Kowloon . I think it's called Branto or something similar. Anyway, awesome that you're vegan again and keep training!

Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Hey Trev, I went to the "Light Vegetarian Restaurant" only yesterday (I live only five minutes away in TST)! But generally, I can't afford to eat out, so I mainly cook at home.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Hey Trev, I went to the "Light Vegetarian Restaurant" only yesterday (I live only five minutes away in TST)! But generally, I can't afford to eat out, so I mainly cook at home.

Cool! My wife and I are eager to visit HK again sometime soon - we enjoyed our short time there.

Welcome Bill I was in Hong Kong a long time ago(pre vegan) and I loved it. I hope to be back in a few years to race my bike. So how many veggie places are there?

So how many veggie places are there?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure. I'd roughly say, 20 or more. There are vegetarian Indian, and Chinese style restaurants. I really haven't explored the whole scene because i got here only five months ago, and I am on a fairly tight budget. Before that, I lived in Shanghai, Beijing, and Henan province. Shanghai, these days, has some decent vegetarian restaurants.

Anyway, what type of biking do you do veganpotter?

I train for time trials and track cycling races but I do pretty much 100% of my training on the road...maybe 85% on my road bike and 15% on my time trial bike.

As for being on a budget I couldn't imagine living in Hong Kong. I've spent a few weeks in Japan staying with family and it was really hard to eat out...even at a crappy place for less than $15.