Live Food Rock Star diagnosed with breast cancer

Tasha

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eating raw is a great way to give you an edge on cancer.. Definetly. But there are some things you can't control. Like, with being a musician you play in a lot of bars. In Canada it's illegal to smoke indoors. Bars here make you go outside, but in a lot of places you can still smoke inside, so you're exposed to second hand smoke a lot.

Then there's pollution, and genetics. There's a lot of things that cause cancer that we aren't able to control.. such as asshats blowing smoke in our faces.. and douchebags in big diesel trucks rippin all over town leaving a stink cloud wherever they go. Also, if you have a stressful lifestyle or job, it can be difficult to get enough to eat. When Bif was on tour she'd drop like 15 pounds. Her guitar player, Doug, would gain 15 lol. He stays at home now so he's lost a bit of weight and looks awesome now.

Just becasue you eat all raw doesn't mean your going to be all healthy.

You should really think before you write something like this.

???

Well before I put what I have to say. I just wanted to make I understand you. Are you saying that eating a raw diet is the cause of the cancer ? I also red that you put that eating a raw diet isn't healthy?

Just becasue you eat all raw doesn't mean your going to be all healthy.

You should really think before you write something like this.

???

Well before I put what I have to say. I just wanted to make I understand you. Are you saying that eating a raw diet is the cause of the cancer ? I also red that you put that eating a raw diet isn't healthy?

You must have not read what i wrote carefully. I eat a raw food diet and think it's by far the best diet there is. What i'm saying is there are many different ways to eat raw food. Same of which are extremely unbalanced and un healthly all the way to extremely healthy and disease curing. Some people like to look at someone that gets sick on a raw food diet and then say see the raw food diet isn't what it's cracked up to be. When in fact it's the healtiest type of diet, but just like many diet there is a right and wrong way of doing things, so yeah it's very possible to get sick and get cancer eatting the wrong type of raw foods, but it's allso possible to cure yourself of most diseases if your doing the right things.

I was thinking about this post as I was listening to one of Dr. Fuhrman's podcasts "Childhood Diets Can Create Adult Cancer" in which he gives scientific eveidence that shows that the diet that a child ate when young (especially between 0-10 years) and the diet that the mother had while pregnant, dramatically affect cancer rates in the children as they become adults.

From this point of view, even if one eats ideally (however that is defined) later in life, it may be impossible to completely remove all chances of getting cancer, especially if you add in additional environmental factors, like air pollution, household chemicals...etc.

Thank you Bill.

Cancer is not a disease that pops up over night, not even over the course of a few years in most cases. Cancer is the process of your DNA replication gone awry. This happens every day in your body. If you have the right tools (nutrition), genetics and environment (low toxic load - pollution, exposure to chemicals, etc) then your body corrects itself. If you don't, then the damaged DNA either replicates and dies off or continues to divide and grow in the damaged form. This looks like different things in different parts of your body but the form we are most familiar with is the tumor - a mass of tissue that is not functional and may be harmful.

On autopsy, many people have tumors of varying sizes throughout their bodies. Some have been there for decades and have not/will not cause problems. Others are recent and might grow rapidly, causing problems. Therefore, eating raw or vegan or whatever for a few years is not a miracle cure. Can you decrease your chances of cancer and even reverse some? Absolutely. Can you always do so? No. It's just not that simple.

I would like to point out a statement made earlier. Someone stated that having children is proven to help prevent breast cancer. There is some truth to this but childbirth is certainly not a cure, nor is it a guarantee. Studies have shown an increased risk of breast cancer for women who don't have children, women who have their first child later in life (30's), women who start menstruating at an early age (before 12) and women who hit menopause later (past 55). Genetics also play a huge role - you are at an increased risk if there is breast cancer in your family. Obesity is still a controversial topic but the thought is that increased circulating estrogen (fat is hormonally active) will increase risk. And hormone replacement therapy for menopausal women also increases risk.

I certainly hope that my nutritional choices will keep me cancer-free, but I have no delusions that it's the only factor that affects my chances.

I don't know if you guys know this, but Cancer can't grow or stay around in a Alkaline enviriment. No wonder cancer is so big in this county when people diets are 99 percent acid when your supposed to have around 75 percent alkaline. Of course doctors won't let people know this becasue cancer like any other disease is big busisness. Drug companies and the heads of the government care about one thing, profits. They can't make money on healthy people or dead people, so what they want is people to have to relie on drugs for the rest of there lives.

I read articles all of the time about the American entertainment and software industries, who having large amounts of money and more to lose, get the best people to create security schemes for software as well as entertainment media.

Every time a new scheme is created, it is broken by pirates, many not professionals in a matter of weeks. Sometimes days.

If it was true that American doctors knew how to stop cancer, but suppressed the information to keep business going why do you think it would be possible to get ever single doctor, scientist, and medical student in the country to keep their mouths shut? Don't you think at least a few would talk?

I don't think doctors have a clue about anything other than drugs and surgery unless they've taken the time to study on there own. Allso if someone says they can Cure Cancer with natural methods even if it's true then they will be thrown in jail and fined big money. As much as people don't like to say it this country is far from free. btw alternative cancer treatments and different alternative treatment are pretty easy to find out about if you look around, but just like any type of busisnesses there are scamers and then there are the good people.

As a nurse who is married to a doctor and works with doctors every day - this untrusting attitude of the entire medical system (especially doctors) gets tiring. Before you judge a profession, you should have a good amount of knowledge about that profession. Many people also don't trust lawyers. I've had to use lawyers for many situations in my life and I would never make a blanket statement about them, even if some of them were unethical.

Hey Couture547 I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I just can't catch it.

I've been hearing this stuff since I was 14 and I have never seen anything solid come of it. I only hear second hand anecdotal accounts from some guy who heard it from some guy. When I check out the bits and pieces --- like cancer can't live in an alkaline environment -- I usually find out those things contradict facts.

I have a friend who has cancer. She has worked her whole life and almost all of her money is gone. A large chunk of her savings went to pay for alternative cancer treatments that were not covered by her insurance company.

She went raw years ago and does everything to the tenth decimal place in that regard.

It hasn't done anything for her. She is back on chemo.

I'm sure you can tell yourself that she isn't doing the raw lifestyle 100% the way she should, that she got some exposure that overrides the benefits, etc. etc.

Everybody wants to believe in magic.

Especially me, I wish it was true for my friend so she could move on with her life.

Well i don't know what your friend is doing or has done in the past, but hopefully things work out for her. I can say personally i wouldn't go down that path if i had cancer because Chemo and radiation kill alot more good cells than bad, so even if it works and the cancer goes away you didn't take care of it naturally, so it aged you alot and also i don't know the numbers, but most people that get cancer and then have it go away with Chemo and radation have it come back in the future. It would be nice in this county if the people that had good treaments could be in the forefront, so people could try different stuff. I just don't see that happening.

As a nurse who is married to a doctor and works with doctors every day - this untrusting attitude of the entire medical system (especially doctors) gets tiring. Before you judge a profession, you should have a good amount of knowledge about that profession. Many people also don't trust lawyers. I've had to use lawyers for many situations in my life and I would never make a blanket statement about them, even if some of them were unethical.

I don't think doctors are bad people or anything. Like any thing else there are doctors that are there to try and help and others that are probably there for status quo and money. whether i like doctors or not doesn't really matter, what matters is that i'm not into removing organs and druging people. This is not coming from someone that been healthy there while lives. Drugs really destroyed my health for about 4 years, but now that i went through that i'm glad i did becasue it forced me to look for answers that i wouldn't have gotten if i was healthy like other 15 year olds at the time

Well, your answer is still a blanket statement. Most doctors are not into removing organs or drugging people. They are into relieving symptoms for those patients who will not take the responsibility to make themselves well or those patients who have no other choices. If people lived following the guidelines that are out there then doctors wouldn't need to prescribe drugs to treat symptoms. Doctors cannot magically make people lose weight, exercise, eat right, stop smoking or avoid risks. Nor can they change genetics. They tend to be the last stop if you have tried everything else or the first stop if you are someone who wants a pill to be your answer.

I am sorry that you had an illness and took drugs with negative side effects. Without knowing what illness you suffered from, it is difficult to know if there were options other than drugs at the time. Certainly, the doctors didn't hurt you - the drugs did. Perhaps your negative comments should be directed at an industry that could never make money from curing disease but makes a lot from treating symptoms - especially lab values and made-up diseases.

As for money and status quo - it doesn't exist anymore for doctors. If you want those things then you do NOT become a doctor. The big bucks are not there like they used to be and people have much less respect than in the past. For the hours worked, the education involved and the risks involved (infectious disease, being sued for bad outcomes - not malpractice, which is what doctors should be sued for but they are more often sued for bad outcomes which they could not control) - it does not pay to be a doctor. It's not an easy life and it's not worth it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

I agree with some of what yoy said. That said people are taught in this country and probably many other countries to trust the main stream. meaning people are never really taught how to be healthy in the first place. given some people really don't care at all and they smoke and drink and do drugs. I'm not talking about those people i'm talking about people like me and many others started feeling bad becasue of a small problem that in hindsite i would have easily fixed knowing then what know now. instead i trusted the doctors and thought that was my only option and it really ruined about 4 years of my life and i'm still recovering and becasue of that i'm way behind in life as far as what i've should have accompsihed by now. personally i'm not the type of person that wants symtoms covered up by drugs becasue that doesn't make you healthy. according to western medicine the absince of desease it what makes you healthy when in fact most of the country is far from healthy.

If you are 15 years old now (or were 15 years old when you became ill?) then I think it's not just the medical system but also your parents' trust in that system which kept you from seeking more information. When things go wrong, many of us expect the medical system to have all of the answers. It's only 2008! We don't have all of the answers. One hundred years ago, people couldn't even imagine the tremendous health care we have available. If you got appendicitis, kidney failure, hemophilia - you died, end of story. We've come a long way but there is still much more to learn. And now, there are lawyers and regulatory bodies that have a lot of control over what those of us in the medical professions may do or say. It's not a perfect system but there is a lot of good in it. The take home message is that you MUST take responsibility for your own health if you want the best care possible.

And now I guess we're way off topic!

If you are 15 years old now (or were 15 years old when you became ill?) then I think it's not just the medical system but also your parents' trust in that system which kept you from seeking more information. When things go wrong, many of us expect the medical system to have all of the answers. It's only 2008! We don't have all of the answers. One hundred years ago, people couldn't even imagine the tremendous health care we have available. If you got appendicitis, kidney failure, hemophilia - you died, end of story. We've come a long way but there is still much more to learn. And now, there are lawyers and regulatory bodies that have a lot of control over what those of us in the medical professions may do or say. It's not a perfect system but there is a lot of good in it. The take home message is that you MUST take responsibility for your own health if you want the best care possible.

And now I guess we're way off topic!

Your last sentence is right on the mark people have to take care of there own health becasue your not going to do everything wrong and then get problems and go take a magic pill that's going to make you healthy. I was 15 when i ran into a small problem that lead to a larger problem. My parents were clueless about what do do, so they did what people are taught to do and that's go to the doctor. I'm 21 now and i'm actually happy i went through all that becasue i'm much more educated about taking take of my health and eating as perfect as possible. better to have problems at 15 and then learn and live the rest of your life feeling good than to run into problems at 50 where it's a little harder to recover.

Kids should be taught in school about eatting a good diet and it's pros and cons becasue this country is in a health care crisis. Half the country is overweight. people are getting sick so much that it's like exceped. The body is supposed to work your whole life and your supposed to live with very little depression and full of energy. This is not happening

Well i don't know what your friend is doing or has done in the past, but hopefully things work out for her. I can say personally i wouldn't go down that path if i had cancer because Chemo and radiation kill alot more good cells than bad, so even if it works and the cancer goes away you didn't take care of it naturally, so it aged you alot and also i don't know the numbers, but most people that get cancer and then have it go away with Chemo and radation have it come back in the future. It would be nice in this county if the people that had good treaments could be in the forefront, so people could try different stuff. I just don't see that happening.

Her cancer got worse when she stopped chemo, went raw, and went for the alternative treatments. She got so sick she went back to chemo despite hating what it does to her.

Couture547, I'm glad your illness had a positive outcome if it's led to you taking charge of your health!

BeforeWisdom, I am sorry to hear about your friend. Some cancers/illnesses either do not respond to diet and alternative treatments or are so far along that it's just not enough. It is unfortunate that some people believe a particular treatment will work - sometimes nothing works and people die. All you can do is put your particular odds in your favor.

I was sick a lot as a kid too. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me, then I was exposed to second hand smoke for 19 years. I had a tonsillectomy when I was 11 and was severely underweight until about 15 years of age. I then became really depressed and suffered an eating disorder. The doctor put me on Prozac and I was on it for years until I decided to take charge of my health. I started working out, moved into a smoke free environment, and became vegan. Now I'm healthier than ever, and Prozac free. I still struggle with body issues.. I think that's the main reason I got into working out. Now I do it for my health, both physically and mentally.