How many push-ups can you do?

Laura

Since I can't do any pull-ups I thought I'd start a push-up thread, lol. How many consecutive push-ups can you do with good form?

I can do 9. A couple months ago I could only do 4, so I'm pretty proud of myself . My goal is 15.

I can only do 20 consec at a time for a total of 100; though I've never tried to improve them in any way, which is pretty pathetic. I think, though, the question is, How many proper pushups can you do? I can do a whole lot more crappy ones

I think your progress is great. I think you'll get to 15 in a flash .

I wonder if pushups and pullups are equal? I mean in the muscles used and strength needed?

Pullups were much more difficult for me. Still are.

I do sets of 60 but I'm thinking I can only do one set really clean...after that I probably add 10 not so great pushups to every set after.

I do pushups almost every time I'm at the gym, although I alternate between pushups on my knees and standard pushups. If I did nothing else I could probably do between 10 and 20 regular style pushups with good form. I'll have to test this out now,and report back lol.

When I actually train on them, I can usually start out with sets of 30-35, but after a few of them, it drops down into the 20s. I think that the most I've bothered to do was around 300 in about 40 minutes, getting up from behind my desk once in a while to do a set with a few minutes between each one. Of course, doing push-ups at 270ish pounds bodyweight ain't no picnic

when i started my body weight workout i could only do roughly 4-5 without stopping now i can do 12-15 depending on the day. Although i have laxed in my training because i did not get the nutrition part down correctly. I think to get more calories easier i ate more fats and i gained weight and that made me stop rather quickly.

I'm not exactly sure how many I can do. I do them on chest day at the very end so I can only do about 30 but my chest is friggin shot. I also do them sometimes when I run up a parking deck close to my apartment but thats after about 20-30 minutes of running so also not accurate. I rarely do body-weight anymore, I did 150 push-ups about 2 years ago but there is absolutely no way I could do that now.

Exactly 100 in one set. I'm a skinny bastard. After that I fall asleep though.

Holly Moses 100 in one set

I can do 20 mens with good form. But it gets ugly after that !

When I worked with Dr Doug Graham. He showed me a demo of what he got his students to do at Health and Fitness week. He called it Chair ups and dental work.

You place two chairs beside you in a push up position, place both of your hands starting on the floor, and as your bring yourself off the ground, your hands should be on both of the chairs and then back down to the floor.

I ended up doing only one with bad form !

i gained weight and that made me stop rather quickly.

So the heavier you are the less you can do? Is that a sort of standard, general truth? I didn't start doing pushups until I was already light, so I don't know that from personal experience.

I was also already in shape when I started them, and, while they were hard, I got the count up within days. I'm sure I could do more than the 100, but I never worked on it...lazy! I guess, though, if I use my running as an illustration, it would make sense: I feel every *ounce* I gain when I run!

i have laxed in my training because i did not get the nutrition part down correctly.

To me, this is crucial. You will never get maximum results if not eating optimally for nutrition. Exercise and nutrition work synergistically.

And, I think it was beforewisdom who wrote in another post somewhere, the stuff that goes for "facts" about nutrition on some of these boards is some of the worst I've seen. Some even worse than non-vegan nutritional advice.

Last time I counted was in my Phys Ed. class (we had to do as many as possible).

The person counting for me said 40, and he was counting out loud....although, I think he started counting at 1 when I had already done about 2 or 3, but regardless, that's the range I can do consecutively...

EDIT: Also, the pushups I do are perfect form. I put my arms right next to my shoulders, and go down until my chest taps the floor (although I don't rest on the floor, obviously). My current weight is ~175.

So the heavier you are the less you can do? Is that a sort of standard, general truth?

If you tried doing push-ups at 270 lbs. and then didn't do them again until you were below 200 lbs., you'd find a BIG difference unless you lost a ton of muscle in the weight loss. Remember, it's basically the inverted movement of a bench press type motion, just using your bodyweight as the load instead of a bar, so less weight at equal strength levels normally means more reps. Of course, that's not to say that some people may not see as much of a difference (those who do not build endurance well in their lifts) at lower bodyweights, but normally, you'll see that push-ups, like pull-ups, are much easier the less you weigh.

Okay, I get it, but it just seems that if big guys can bench press huge amounts of weight (more than they weigh sometimes, right?) then why can't they lift themselves But then big doesn't equal strong anyway.

I guess it's the repetition they can't achieve. Or maybe, these types just don't generally practice pushups...maybe they would be able to bust out a lot.

20-25 for me, although bodyweight exercises are all I do, with the exception of using resistance tubing.

I really can't do any one arm push ups though!

Yea I feel like I should be able to do one-armed pushups but I can't for some reason. Maybe its balance, or maybe its my belly.

The most I was ever able to do was 250 in one go. But that was 8 years ago, and at that time I was doing only body weight training. Mainly pushups and situps. I started off very slow. At first I was doing approx. 3-5 sets of 20 or 25. God was I sore. But then: Gradually (in about 5-6 months), I was able to do more and more. At one point, I was doing 4-6 sets of 200 per set everyday for a good two-three months. It felt good. I got myself those push-up bars, and believe me they give you a great stretch.

I weigh anywhere from 84-86 kg (184/185 lbs); I'm 1'85 or (6'1''.)

I'm starting to incorporate push-ups into my program again, and at the moment I'm doing 5-6 sets of 25-30. We'll see.

I find the world record amazing. Interesting read below.

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/ulysses.html