How many push-ups can you do?

Laura

when i started my body weight workout i could only do roughly 4-5 without stopping now i can do 12-15 depending on the day. Although i have laxed in my training because i did not get the nutrition part down correctly. I think to get more calories easier i ate more fats and i gained weight and that made me stop rather quickly.

What i meant by what i wrote was i stopped my bodyweight workout and eating to gain muscle because i started to develop fat. I was looking to develop lean muscle mass, but instead i gained a tiny bit and a whole lot of fat. My intake of foods wasnt ideal and i got the combination wrong.

Oh well im going to try again soon, but im on an extremly tight budget for the next few months so im unsure how ill meet my goals.

• 2 weeks later...

hands on floor, flat, about 55 in one go with good form.

hands on floor, fist, about 40 in one go, good form.

using perfect pushup thingamajiggy, about 22, good form.

I found I could do more when I was eating meat probably because my vege diet isn't up to par yet.

_raVen_, those are the ones. I have been following the training schedule for the pushups according to the Perfect Pushup routine, they claim it to be a Navy Seals training program, I wouldn't know but I do feel the burn when I do it.

I still feel if you aren't creative enough, or are looking to bulk up bigtime, nothing beats free weights at a gym.

using perfect pushup thingamajiggy, about 22, good form.

Ah, yes, the technical terminology

This thingy?

http://www.formerfatguyblog.com/weight-loss/exercise/perfect-pushups.jpg

these are actually very good. When I was using them ...

_raVen_, those are the ones. I have been following the training schedule for the pushups according to the Perfect Pushup routine, they claim it to be a Navy Seals training program, I wouldn't know but I do feel the burn when I do it.

I still feel if you aren't creative enough, or are looking to bulk up bigtime, nothing beats free weights at a gym.

chindian, when I first saw these advertised I thought they were another rip-off gadget

So how is that routine going -- any good results? Are you bulking at the same time?

It's weird because I can definitely feel the burn and sooner, too, but they're also easier in way...can't really describe it. Maybe it's because the body is forced into good position and the move itself is smoother..?? I don't know, but they're harder and easier at the same time

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so

Neat screen name, by the way!

Here's a challenge. Get a deck of cards, shuffle them up, and then pull a card from the top and do that many pushups. Continue until you get through the whole deck.

Thats a lot of push-ups. What are the face cards worth? Do you rest between each card?

Awesome suggestion! That really helped my endurance. Face cards are ten pushups, aces are 11, jokers can be taken out or can be assigned a different value. Only rest if you need to. I used to set the timer and try to get through a deck in that amount of time. You can also roll one die and do that number if you can normally do less than ten at once, or you can use the die for pull-ups. In answer to the question, I can do 3 pushups but I have to be on my knees with my arms elevated

I wanted to see what a person who can do 10,000+ pushups looks like after reading that post so i tracked down an image.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blogmuscle.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/ludi.png%3Fw%3D400%26h%3D259&imgrefurl=http://blogmuscle.wordpress.com/2006/07/28/chinese-boy-does-10000-push-ups-in-three-hours-and-twenty-minutes/&h=259&w=400&sz=195&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=_oZiWKv5zvb40M:&tbnh=80&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMinoru%2BYoshida%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

I'm not sure if this is the person who did them non stop but it is actually a 6 YEAR OLD BOY in kung fu school in japan.

He did 10,000 pushups in 3 hours and 20 minutes. DAMN!

• 2 weeks later...

i just saw this on bodyweight culture:

GOING FROM "5" TO "100" PRESS-UPS IN 20 DAYS (AT LEAST)!

Hello, my name is Andrew and I am fairly new to this forum, I am 18 years old, come from the UK and I just want to share with you all the EXTREMELY SIMPLE routine that I and a few of my friends did in order to go from doing only a pathetic "5" Press-Ups, to doing a full "100" Press-Ups in less than a month! I do not know if this is commonly used by other people but the only thing that matters is it works and has worked perfectly for me, my friends who tried it, and some of the other people at my Boxing Gym. To do this, all you need is:

* YOU!

* A TIMER/CLOCK/STOPWATCH!

* MOTIVATION!

* PRESS-UP HANDLES! - (Highly recommended, as they enhance your form and range so pretty much ALL Upper-Body Muscles are worked)!

* BLEEP-TEST TAPE/CD/MP3

* 2 HOURS A DAY! - (Not even that really, you'll be working for half of that!)

In doing this it is best to start on a Sunday (i.e. The 1st Weekday) and take your timer and set up a countdown limit of 10 minutes, start with a set of "5" Press-Ups (or however many you can do, but keep the number multiple of 5) and then do "5" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes for no longer than 2 hours! *Keep in mind to use perfect form with each Press-Up! Now the following is a week-long plan for this:

Sunday - "The 1st day"

"5" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

Monday

"10" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

Tuesday

"15" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

Wednesday

"20" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

Thursday

"25" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

Friday

"30" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

Saturday

"35" Press-Ups every 5 or 10 minutes (your choice) for 2 hours!

**Keep this up day by day and eat a high protein/low carbohydrate diet! Your body will completely recover during sleep (so long as your get enough)!

***AS MANY OF YOU KNOW AND FOR THOSE THAT DON'T; THE PRESS-UP IS THE BEST UPPER-BODY STRENGTH EXERCISE ... PERIOD! AND WILL NEVER BE TOPPED! MY ADVICE TO YOU ALL IS TO GET A PAIR OF CHROME PRESS-UP "HANDLES" FROM YOUR LOCAL SPORTING GOODS STORE; FOR AROUND £5 - £20 ($10 - $20)! USING THESE WILL MAKE YOUR PRESS-UP(s) BIGGER AND MORE DEMANDING; SO THEREFORE ALL UPPER-BODY MUSCLES WILL RECIEVE A GOOD WORKOUT A LONG AS YOU DO THE MANY DIFFERENT VARIATIONS! TRUST ME! YOU'LL BE RIPPED UP IN NO TIME!

Good Luck!

Andrew -

PS: Get a "Bleep Test" (Multi-Stage Fitness Test) and do Press-Ups to it once every month and see how far you go! One Press-Up per bleep!

http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=59

I think you need to be a member to see any of the articles but I didnt want to quote without telling where it was from.

My pb for single set is 117 clean, proper and that was about a year ago. I was training everyday and I was at my fighting weight 135lbs (5'8"). Right now I'm doing sets of 70 to 80 right now but haven't been training quite as consistently. I'm ramping up my training so maybe I'll try for triple digits in another month or so.

In addition to push up bars, another good way to train for push ups is to do different types - like knuckle, wide grip, narrow grip, triangle grip, finger tip, thumb, 2 finger + thumb, back of wrist and Hindu (or divebomber). I usually mix my sets with combos of these variations.

• 3 weeks later...