Is most of the food you buy organic?

MassT

How much of the food you buy is organic?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hi

I hope this is the right category

Just wondering if you other vegans buy most of your food organic, and if you only shop at organic health food stores.

Personally, I don't live near any health food store, and very little of the products I purchase and eat on a daily basis I have been able to find organically certified in my local Supermarket. I am planning on moving next year, 2009, so hopefully I'll live closer to one of those Health food shops with organic food of all types. I heard LA is full of these, as well as organic restaurants/cafes.. Is this true? And how is the east coast compared to the west coast when speaking of organic health food availability?

Thanks!

MassT

I live in Finland and because of it it's almost impossible to buy everything organic.

Also, the food here is quite healthy even when it's non-organic and the regulations and control is _very_ strict. Organic food here costs usually 2-3 times more than non-organic.

If there's an alternative available at reasonable price, I'll always go for the organic. But I won't pay double or triple price for a product for it being organic. Food is very expensive in finland in general, because of our location right by the arctic circle (well actually I'm from the southern part which is ~ 600km away from the arctic circle).

I'll rather buy normal food (but only full grain pasta and nothing unecological such as single packed products or something that needs to be refridgerated during delivery and storing) and put the spare money in NGO's or CarbonFund. It's more efficient way in my opinion to reduce emissions ect.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

I try and by organic whenever possible.

Not just for my own health either; I don't like the idea of farm workers having to labor around chemical fertilizers and pesticides just so I can eat cheaper food. I doubt many farm workers are given health-insurance through their jobs, so if they get sick, their employers can just tell them to get lost. This seems true in the US, so I imagine it's WAY WORSE in other countries without protections in place (and enforced) to protect workers.

In addition to the workers who are exposed to this stuff directly, the people in the communities near the farms have to live with polluted water from all the pesticide and fertilizer runoff.

-Chris

I buy when I can but the price disparage is really bad here. Portlands food is really pricey but the non organic stuff is expensive too so it felt different...here non organic food is so cheap.

Thats pretty much the only place to get anything organic other than carrots and bagged greens around here. If I got all my food from them it would probably cost more than double compared to where my mom gets my food.

I am pretty much 100% because I supplement my diet with things I find in the dumpster which are always organic. I spend maybe 3.00 USD on food a day maybe. Sometimes less. Someone recently commented on my year being the boar for Chinese astrology in saying I had a nose for good garbage.

When I was eating commercial I got it down to 20 USD a month. Think about that.

I'm wondering how organic this food still is if its been soaking up whatever is in the dumpster. I have no problem with dumpster diving(I've never done it but I've reaped the benefits before) but you really don't know what your getting unless what you get was just put in there and its on the very top.

We have an eco store here in Gothenburg where everything is ecological (organic). I buy most of my stuff there, except for a few, like berries which is still too expensive there. The veggies and fruits are pretty cheap.

I've made alot of root vegetable caseroles resently with organic Swedish grown roots. Really yummy and good for the environment. I think that's what we used to eat mostly up here in the north before the age of oil.

A trick for people that shop at stores like WHOLE FOODS and are poor..

Which is an oxymoron in the first place..but..

Find produce and bulk that is sold both organic and unorganic..

AND...

Mix them together in the same bag with the unorganic most visable..

Or when you get to the register and they ask you...

Just reply its not organic or regular.

Normally, I would never support anything like this, but I am adament that we all be as organic as possible and save as much as possible in the process

I eat less organic than I'd like to and more than I can really afford to. The actual percentage varies week by week.

There is an organic co-op here in Houston, but it's about a 60 mile round-trip drive. I'd like to get one started closer to home.

Where are from in Houston, Michelle?

I was born in Houston. I dont really remember the area too well, but I do know I was near Sugarland.

I eat less organic than I'd like to and more than I can really afford to. The actual percentage varies week by week.

There is an organic co-op here in Houston, but it's about a 60 mile round-trip drive. I'd like to get one started closer to home.

Where are from in Houston, Michelle?

I was born in Houston. I dont really remember the area too well, but I do know I was near Sugarland.

opposite end of town, I'm in The Woodlands

AND...

AND...

I have a good excuse. I'm Jewish..cant help it. hah