Thoughts on a 2008 fitness challenge

No prob. I'd love to see the challenge take place, in fact I've loved having them on here and it has inspired many. I just don't have the means to be in charge and I think lelle or someone who has experience running something like this would be great.

Once it has been sorted out, I'll promote it here, on myspace, facebook, etc.

Thanks.!

• 3 weeks later...
i am kinda happy that nothing has been done yet, unfortunately i have been delayed in acquiring a gym membership due to intense financial hardships.

Be creative, its not too hard to workout with weights!

This is true and i would prefere an all bodyweight workout to weight because i am more comfortable with it, it does however leave me at a disadvantage in a competition because i cannot add as much muscle as quickly as those using weights.

i am kinda happy that nothing has been done yet, unfortunately i have been delayed in acquiring a gym membership due to intense financial hardships.

Be creative, its not too hard to workout with weights!

This is true and i would prefere an all bodyweight workout to weight because i am more comfortable with it, it does however leave me at a disadvantage in a competition because i cannot add as much muscle as quickly as those using weights.

Maybe you arent doing the right workouts? Shoooot..give me a couple tires, a broom stick, jump rope, and some stairs and I bet the results would be no different than anything you could do at the gym...but I feel ya ...the gym is just so much more convienant!

i can see where you are going with this and given time to prepare as well as warm weather and perhaps an abandoned tractor tire repair center i could put together a routine that would be similar in what it could do for me. The problem with body weight work out is the idea of progress, while you could do all the exercises it would be harder to change and adapt to a heavier weight. you would need various tires and various brooms. At a certain point BW maxes out to your natural bodyweight and as i am already attempting Hindu pushups and handstand pushups i am at a loss.

But that is my personal opinion from the months i have been on the bodyweight culture message board it seems a rather wonderful technique to increase strength endurance and flexibility but a more slow method of building muscular size.

If you have access to a chin-up bar, you could do the Navy Seals workout. It consists of running, pushups, pull-ups, and situps. It won't make you huge, but it would probably get you ripped (as much as I don't like to use that word). I'm not sure if you'd be interested since you're looking to move away from bodyweight workouts, but I thought it might be a good program until you can afford a gym.

Mike

mike i have looked into it and it does seem like a good plan. Thanks for the heads up. I already do a bodyweight workout but i would love to try my hands at weights for a few reasons, one i desire to add more bulk to my body to help with the bit of extra skin i have around my chest, the bodyweight workout seems to be firming my chest without adding bulk, now this can also be attributed to diet as well so i am trying to sort it all out. I look like i am doing tax returns what with my food charts and nutritional values and comparative analysis of exercise techniques vs bodyweight movements. Truth be told im very worried about injury as i have never lifted weights before and tend to be over extending type of personality, more is better yadda yadda

I know what you mean about being worried about injury. I think the best thing to do, once you can get a gym membership, is just to start really light and go for high reps. High reps would help you practice your form safely and would also help to build up the connective tissue so you're less prone to injury when you do move on to heavier weights. Also, high reps are a good way to "pump" up your muscles and cause them to swell. They can give you the appearance of having big muscles even if you really aren't all that strong.

Mike

What i would love is to befriend someone who knows about bodybuilding and would work out with me and give me pointers, as it is none of my friends work out, although they consider running on the treadmill to be working out. So perhaps ill socially pimp myself out and find a work out buddy. thanks for the encouragement mike.

One word for those who do not have a gym membership or a great supply of equipment - rocks!

Deadlift them, carry them, throw them, row with them, press them overhead (carefully, out toward the front and not directly overhead!), do curls with them, squat with them held in front or on the shoulder - they're free, you can choose from thousands of them, and if one isn't comfortable, find another that is.

Between some medium to large stones, push-ups and a chin bar, you'll have most of what you could ever need if you weren't able to get access to a weight room. Now, if you can get a tractor tire in the range of 450-650 lbs. (good weight for starters who can deadlift between 250 and 400 lbs.) you'll have one more tool in the arsenal that more than one professional strongman I've spoken with has referred to as "their most valuable piece of equipment for building strength and endurance".

Plenty of ways to train free, but if you're in freezing temperatures at this point in the year like I am, it can be easier said than done

One word for those who do not have a gym membership or a great supply of equipment - rocks!

Deadlift them, carry them, throw them, row with them, press them overhead (carefully, out toward the front and not directly overhead!), do curls with them, squat with them held in front or on the shoulder - they're free, you can choose from thousands of them, and if one isn't comfortable, find another that is.

Between some medium to large stones, push-ups and a chin bar, you'll have most of what you could ever need if you weren't able to get access to a weight room. Now, if you can get a tractor tire in the range of 450-650 lbs. (good weight for starters who can deadlift between 250 and 400 lbs.) you'll have one more tool in the arsenal that more than one professional strongman I've spoken with has referred to as "their most valuable piece of equipment for building strength and endurance".

Plenty of ways to train free, but if you're in freezing temperatures at this point in the year like I am, it can be easier said than done

lol true its the dead of winter here in Utah. I can see where rocks would be great tools but i do not often see rocks of substantial weight unless you go out into the canyon, i could however perhaps collect the small ones in a bag and use that.

Suprisingly enough my grandfather was a bodybuilder and he casted his own cement into buckets and attached them to polls he was ripped though.

"Socially pimp myself out..." That's the way to do it, my friend. Once you get into a gym, maybe you could start a thread letting us know what types of equipment/weights they have, so we can run some ideas by ya. Are you familiar with the Body for Life weight training program? I think that would be a good intro into weight training for you. Good luck!!!

Mike

"Socially pimp myself out..." That's the way to do it, my friend. Once you get into a gym, maybe you could start a thread letting us know what types of equipment/weights they have, so we can run some ideas by ya. Are you familiar with the Body for Life weight training program? I think that would be a good intro into weight training for you. Good luck!!!

Mike

I have heard of it. when i was working at 23 hour fitness (because i slept during my shift for one hour is why it isnt 24 hour) i came acrossed and photocopied the excersizes and plans worksheet which i still have to this day. I was thinking about doing that excersize because i know veggieprincess is a product of that great training as well as robert, i was also thinking of doing this as well:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/krisgethin_guide3.htm

I like the transformations the people are showing but i am a bit worried that the exercises are too advanced for me. Ideally i would want to get a membership to a gym and purchase a personal training session or two so that i could acquire the muscle memory to do the exercises i wanted in correct form.