Mainstream Media..

BodhiDave85

. . . .

Funny and depressingly true.

Speaking of which . . . Where do you get your news?

I'm always looking for new sources but websites I like right now are nytimes.com, worldnews.com, npr.org, economist.com and the christian science monitor (csmonitor.com; they actually do not have a religious agenda or bent, besides one religious article per day. I like them because they are not owned by a corporation that in turn receives government funding, which I believe is the case for a lot of other news sources). Oh, and of course The Daily Show with Jon Stuart .

My dad visited over Thanksgiving and insisted that we watch Fox News and really bad reality TV for 4 straight days. I was so traumatized that as soon as he left I put the TV in the closet, where it's been ever since, lol.

:lol: . . . .

Funny and depressingly true.

Speaking of which . . . Where do you get your news?

I'm always looking for new sources but websites I like right now are nytimes.com, worldnews.com, npr.org, economist.com and the christian science monitor (csmonitor.com; they actually do not have a religious agenda or bent, besides one religious article per day. I like them because they are not owned by a corporation that in turn receives government funding, which I believe is the case for a lot of other news sources). Oh, and of course The Daily Show with Jon Stuart .

My dad visited over Thanksgiving and insisted that we watch Fox News and really bad reality TV for 4 straight days. I was so traumatized that as soon as he left I put the TV in the closet, where it's been ever since, lol.

Im a BBC person, but I've decided im done with news. Its all the same, I believe everything thats going to happen has already happened or is quite similiar. We always act surprised by all these horrible acts, its unfortunate, but I'd rather be part of the change or not get involved at all. I love good t.v, but I almost never watch the news. Is their a point really? Is staying "well informed" beneficial?

Yes, I think so. I think that it would be disturbing if no one was aware of what was happening outside of their own country, let alone outside of their own day-to-day routine. That said, I don't want to come off like an npr snob. I'm definitely not as well informed as I could be most of the time! I think it's important to try to stay current, though. I think that choosing ignorance for the sake of bliss can be dangerous.

Btw, I like your avatar, BhodiDave !

Yes, I think so. I think that it would be disturbing if no one was aware of what was happening outside of their own country, let alone outside of their own day-to-day routine. That said, I don't want to come off like an npr snob. I'm definitely not as well informed as I could be most of the time! I think it's important to try to stay current, though. I think that choosing ignorance for the sake of bliss can be dangerous.

Btw, I like your avatar, BhodiDave !

Thanks, its BodhiDave by the way. hah ..short for bodhisattva...a buddhist term for someone who has an awakened mind and heart and promises not to leave earth until all people have been awakened. Just incase you were curious.

Regarding being informed to news, I dont think I properly stated my question. If one knows that there are day to day catastrophes from whatever knowledge they have, books, tv, magazines, internet, etc.. does it REALLY matter if you know how many more people died in a war, across the street, how many horrible acts happened today(or the opposite)? I am not trying to be insensitive, but I am having a problem seeing how that is ignorant. Its not really being informed, because all we see is the symptoms and the media doesnt care to inform us about the REAL CAUSES.

BodhiDave85 wrote:

Its not really being informed, because all we see is the symptoms and the media doesnt care to inform us about the REAL CAUSES.

I understand what you're saying. I think a lot of people have at least some mistrust of the information we receive from the mainstream media, and with good reason. That's why I think it's important to try to find good independent media sources that do try to focus on the big picture/causes of current events, rather than just on the sensationalistic (is that a word? LOL) symptoms. I agree with you, it's really frustrating.

Its not really being informed, because all we see is the symptoms and the media doesnt care to inform us about the REAL CAUSES.

You would probably like "Democracy Now", I think it is one of the best daily news broadcasts;

A daily TV/radio news program, hosted by Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez, airing on over 650 stations, pioneering the largest community media collaboration in the U.S.

http://www.democracynow.org/

I think its on the "LINK-TV" channel on Direct TV, as well as a bunch of radio stations. Or you can check it out online.

-Chris