Pre-workout drinks

robert

I've never used a pre-workout drink before. In fact I didn't really know of any by name or what they were or were supposed to do.

I just always ate fruit or an energy bar before a workout and I've always been fine.

Recently, I've been playing around with pre-workout drinks since they are (popular among bodybuilders).

I'll admit that I've taken a pre-workout drink 5 times, and I've had 5 great workouts! I even set some records in lifts. So that was cool.

It may all be in my head, and I think most of it is, but even so.....even if it only impacts my head and my attitude and energy in the gym, then I'm OK with that since it leads to good workouts.

I'm very familiar with post-workout drinks, and I've been using those for 7 years.

Anyone use PRE-workout drinks? What is your response or reaction to them?

I also must admit, I don't get why things have to "cycle" or why we have to stop for a certain amount of time???

Is it like creatine, where the thought is that if we totally depend on it our bodies will stop producing it or something like that, which is why we cycle?

I really don't know much about this.

I also must admit, I don't get why things have to "cycle" or why we have to stop for a certain amount of time???

Is it like creatine, where the thought is that if we totally depend on it our bodies will stop producing it or something like that, which is why we cycle?

I really don't know much about this.

I think many pre-workout drinks (NO Explode, etc.) contain some form of creatine.

1. I usually drink some caffeine water about two hours before my workout.

2. About 30-60 minutes before I leave for the gym I will also eat some hemp or gemma powder mixed with water, as well as some carbs (berries, pita with hummos, etc.).

3. Then I take 2.5g Creatine Ethyl-Ester and 2g L-Glutamine mixed with water right before I leave for the gym.

I've read that creatine and caffeine together is not ideal, so that's why I do the caffeine a while before my workout.

-Chris

I'm 3 weeks into a creatine cycle and am making nice gains. I also use BCAAs during my workout and immediately afterwards (VeggiePrincess, I know you say to drink both servings during my workout but my bladder would explode!)

NO Xplode does have creatine in it but I know there's at least one brand that doesn't contain creatine. I haven't used it but I might give it a try a few weeks after I'm off the creatine. It looks like there's some science to back it up, although not as much as the research behind creatine and BCAAs as yet. Here's a link: http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=36&pid=6782

Robert, if you're interested in trying it then I'd be willing to split a container. I'll be ordering some things from that site soon anyway.

Its not the healthiest thing so I never did it myself but I agree with Octopussoir...nothing beats high sugar and caffeine. I just did the high sugar thing and it always worked for me...sometimes that meant creatine as well when I was on a cycle.

Its not the healthiest thing so I never did it myself but I agree with Octopussoir...nothing beats high sugar and caffeine. I just did the high sugar thing and it always worked for me...sometimes that meant creatine as well when I was on a cycle.

I have a buddy I trained for a bench competition and he wate a candy bar right before he lifted for the sugar/insulin spike and it got him through his lifts(and won).

I NEVER used them before but xveganjoshx and DV got me on a few and I have to admit........all 8 workouts using pre-workout drinks have been successful workouts including producing record lifts. Maybe it's all in my head or a coincidence but I think I'll keep it up for a while

• 5 weeks later...

I normally have a banana or some sort of fruit, but I decided to try an energy drink today.

I had a steaz energy and a bowl of nature's path cereal today pre-workout, and felt great. Probably not a very healthy choice, but it gave me some kick.

I'm usually draggin ass by the time I get home from work. And, never feel 100% during my workout. Today was the total opposite. At $2 a piece though I don't think i'll be doing it very often.

I've had energy drinks, bars, etc. before, and was unaffected. I guess drinking all those mountain dews when I was a youngster set my tolerance too high.