Air Jordan XX3 (Considered) Released 1/25/08

Troy

I'm pretty sure they are not vegan, but a cool step in the right direction...

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/air-jordans/air-jordan-xx3-23/

The number 23 was Michael Jordan’s number for most of his career and now 2008 marks the 23rd year of the production of the Air Jordan line. Jordan Brand, Tinker Hatfield and Michael Jordan of course teamed up to release the Air Jordan XX3 (23) shoe. The Air Jordan XX3 will be the first basketball shoe from Nike to embrace the Nike Considered design, where details in the development and design of the shoe seek to reduce waste and allow for use of environmentally preferred materials without comprising the athletic performance. The Nike Considered design ethos is one of the several company-wide corporate responsibilities that Nike Inc. has implemented to sustain long-term growth and innovation.

The Air Jordan XX3 is one of the most complex and complicated shoes of its time and much research and development went into the shoe to find the perfect look and feel. Here are some of its features seen in the shoe. An automotive quality painting process was used for the backside of the Thermo Plastic Urethane chassis is completed by an efficient robot arm to maximize the quality, consistency and durability of the paint and component. To help out with the environment, the outsole is composed of environmentally preferred materials that reduces the toxins and uses the Nike grind material from footwear outsole manufacturing waste.

One of the most important aspects of the Air Jordan 23 is its exterior and it is composed of many different materials and designs. For the upper, a newly engineered technique that uses a machine to stitch the upper in 3-D form was implemented into design. A very important aspect of the shoe is its high comfort level; a dual density sock liner offers full comfort while the recovery foam around the heel conforms to foot shapes to create a more custom fit. The reinforced quarter panels from and holds the exact shape and the breathable tongue allows air to escape, which keeps the foot cooler.

The same ingenuity and effort that went into the upper can be seen in the mid-sole/outsole. A full length Zoom Air sole unit was used to provide superior cushioning. Another noticeable feature is how light the shoe feels. Weighing in only at 15 ounces, the lightness of the shoe increases the agility and stability.

The Air Jordan XX3 features some unique designs that add that special touch to the shoe. An imprint of Michael Jordan’s fingerprint is seen as the pattern on the outsole. More of Michael Jordan went into the shoe besides his fingerprint; his signature can be seen on the toecap, a nice touch added to the shoe. The handcrafted MJ stitch pattern offers beautiful detailing and function.

An exclusive limited release of the Air Jordan XX3 will launch on Friday, January 25, 2008 with a suggested price of $230. An All-Star release will launch on Saturday February 16, 2008 with a suggested retail price of $185. The nationwide launch will be released on Saturday, February 23, 2008 with a suggested retail price of $185. Retailer information can be found at Jumpman23.com.

01/25/2008 Limited (1058 total pairs)

318474-151 White/Titanium-University Blue

$230

*Limited Release

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/troyloferski/WhiteTitanium-UniversityBlue.jpg

02/16/2008

318376-101 White/Black-Varsity Red

$185

*Limited Release

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/troyloferski/WhiteBlack-VarsityRed.jpg

02/23/2008

318376-001 Black/Metallic Silver-Varsity Red

$185

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/troyloferski/BlackMetallicSilver-VarsityRed.jpg

04/05/2008

318376-102 White/Stealth/Black

$185

06/2008

White/Metallic Silver-Anthracite

$185

*Limited Release to all NIKETOWN’S & Urban Accounts

Right on, I collected alot of retro releases of nikes, cortez, Air Max 1, Waffles, Jordan 1s... I haven't bought any leather shoes since I started eating vegan... whats the consensus on wearing previously purchased leather shoes now that I am Vegan... is it frowned upon? Should I feel obligated to sell them? I have been wondering this for quite some time now, and it has worried me for quite awhile because I have cherished my shoe collection.

Just wear them..cow is already dead.

Well, the cow is already dead when they're new in the store, too. For me, I wouldn't wear anything leather whether I had it already or not. It's a matter of consistency with my beliefs. Also, whether I like it or not, to people who don't know other vegans, I'm an example of what a vegan is. I don't want anyone thinking that vegans care about animals except when it comes to fashion!

I don't think he was kidding. I don't see much of a problem with it either. If the shoes are in reasonable condition I do think its better to give them to someone that would otherwise be buying leather shoes but outside of that...whats done is done. You can't do anything about it.

I myself do something different...I try not to wear shoes that even look like leather...this way someone may ask you what the deal is with your shoes. Its happened a few times with a pair of hemp dress shoes I own.

I think that what Nike is doing is the classic example of "greenwashing". Remember, it is Nike that brought about all the original discussions on sweatshop production being a major problem, and as to be expected, change often only happens with such companies when necessary. Once it became public knowledge that the people making their footwear were getting something like 25 cents per hour to make a $120 pair of shoes, things had to get switched up to a more respectable degree, or face a drop in sales. Their changes didn't happen because they cared about the workers - they came about because they cared about the bottom dollar.

It's both fashionable AND marketable to sell eco-friendly stuff right now. The hardcore BB players won't give a crap about whether or not the materials are more earth-friendly - they just want a pair of Jordans anyway. But, now there's a whole new audience to appeal to, those who want to feel better about their purchase, and this will have some appeal to that group.

I personally don't buy it as being done for socially responsible reasons - where there's a popular cause, there's a way to cash in on it, and Nike ain't stupid so they're going to get while the getting's good. Don't be surprised to see that, if they don't sell as well as they hope, that this comes and goes quickly enough. They're thinking with stuffing their wallets first and foremost, and actually making a difference because Nike Corp. give a hoot about the earth is not their top priority.

Just as well, why don't they bring some of their production back to the USA? If it wasn't all about making the most for spending the least, why on earth don't they make ANYTHING in our own country any longer? It'd prove a lot more if they worked to bring some jobs back and be just about the only other athletic shoe maker other than New Balance to have some US-based manufacturing, but that wouldn't be as fun as a clever marketing scheme, would it?

If you can't already tell, I'm not really too keen on Nike's way of doing things

I have to agree with VeganEssentials on this one. If Nike really cared about the environment they would be incorporating recycled products into all their shoes, not just the one's geared towards environmentally conscious consumers.

IMHO, $185 for a pair of shoes manufactured overseas in some country with questionable labor standards is totally ridiculous.

And like potter said, they're unbelievably tacky...

-Chris

To me, it looks as if they are geared toward one type of consumer. They are gawdy as all can be. Just like people who wear bright green skulls with sequence thats made to look like diamonds on the teeth. I personally wouldnt even have known those to be Jordans if I walked by someone wearing them. One word: UGLY

• 1 month later...

Just weeks ago, Nike released the Air Jordan XX3, which incorporates water-based adhesives and recycled rubber soles [see "New Air Jordans "consider" the environment," www.sustainableindustries.com, Jan. 14, 2008]. Both shoe designs follow Nike's Considered design standards, which include banning certain chemicals from the manufacturing process, a 17 percent reduction in footwear waste by 2011, and a 30 percent reduction in packaging. The company is aiming to ensure its entire footwear line meets the Considered standard by 2011, its apparel lines meet the standard by 2015, and its equipment meet the standard by 2020.

The shoes also include recycled rubber from the Nike Grind program, which collects and recycles rubber from the outsole, foam from the mid-sole and fabric from the upper sole of old sneakers. The Nike Grind program also provides recycled materials for basketball court surfaces, soccer turfs and playgrounds around the world.

From: http://www.sustainableindustries.com/breakingnews/15779597.html

I wear leather if it's secondhand. And the stuff I had before I went vegan. I figure recycling is a decent thing to do.

Generally speaking, I'm extraordinarily unimpressed with 'vegan' shoes (the ones I see marketed as such). I'm also unimpressed with the jordans post '92 or so (these included). But I'm also fairly (or very) picky.

edit to add: I do see the logic of giving it to someone to replace their purchase of something, it's just not right for me.

Edited by Aaron

I am pretty extreme in my veganism and i can tell you this, you are the maker of your own morals. No one but you can judge you. Be comfortable in what ever level of veganism you choose and make decisions to change your standards or morals when they seem right for you to do so. Somethings are a given, as in ending the suffering of animals to feed you, others are situational ethics that in one instance may be right and in another may not be.

That being said i would have to agree somewhat with veganessentials but i know he takes a stance as well to not purchase from companies that are owned by parent companies that are bad as i have read in another thread. I also follow these guidelines but i cannot deny the positive effect of a company switching tactics even if it is a marketing scheme, or a way to increase the amount of money earned. Bottom line is if there is a need then someone will fill it, if that someone was a company with negative policies previously i see it as a step in the right direction. There is no doubt that Nike will be around for a while so i am happy to see them changing the way they function.