Schumacher Furs must pay animal rights activists' legal fees

robert

A Portland based story that will no doubt make national news:

http://www.katu.com/news/14444957.html

Although I think this is great news, I am also confused. Didn't George Bush's Congress pass the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act which states ‘‘(a) OFFENSE.—Whoever travels in interstate or foreign commerce, or uses or causes to be used the mail or any facility of interstate or foreign commerce—

‘‘(1) for the purpose of damaging or interfering with the operations of an animal enterprise;...blah blah blah...will be held guilty and charged as a terrorist. .

So how did this happen with this bill in place? Is fur not considered an animal enterprise?

• 3 weeks later...

Although I think this is great news, I am also confused. Didn't George Bush's Congress pass the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act which states ‘‘(a) OFFENSE.—Whoever travels in interstate or foreign commerce, or uses or causes to be used the mail or any facility of interstate or foreign commerce—

‘‘(1) for the purpose of damaging or interfering with the operations of an animal enterprise;...blah blah blah...will be held guilty and charged as a terrorist. .

So how did this happen with this bill in place? Is fur not considered an animal enterprise?

I'm thinking its more because they didn't do anything illegal...they just bugged him. Plus chances are the Judge(being a Portlander) is pretty liberal(not that that matters in the case of fur) and anti fur like most Americans are. So if anything...maybe this was a positive way of not paying attention to one of the dumb laws we have in our country.