Protein Flatulence?

Ok... So here's the deal. Since I've been supplementing protein (brown rice protein, eaten alongside some soy protein, usually tofu or TVP), I've been getting gas.

I'm not talking about just a little tiny slip-out here and there... I'm talking full-on blast-fest. The last time it happened, I blasted my dog who was sitting next to me up against the far wall in the room, and peeled the paint off the walls in the process. My dog is now in a coma, and I think it has to do with my protein shakes.

Anyone else have this problem? What the hell do I do about this?

It's possible you're not digesting the protein you're using very well. You could try a more "alive" protein like cold-milled hemp protein.

You could also try taking digestive enzymes (make sure to the kind without pancreatin, which is not vegan) and probiotics (make sure to get the kind without dairy cultures), which will improve your ability to breakdown and absorb all foods, including the extra protein you're consuming.

I say use this to your advantage. Go in lines at McDonald's...let it out...everyone will leave...then you can just ask for free ketchup.

Personally though I've never had any luck no matter what I eat. It seems no matter what I eat I fart...and no matter what I eat it may stink on day and smell like flowers the next.

It's possible you're not digesting the protein you're using very well. You could try a more "alive" protein like cold-milled hemp protein.

I'm not saying that I ever get this problem because I'm a lady and we don't discuss things like this...(ha, ha....LOL)....

but IF I did, I would agree with the damdaman on his comment. I have this friend that we'll call Marissa who switches to Raw Hemp supplementation when Pea and Soy Protein are giving her that little problem.

Okay, I have no problem stating that I can blow my husband across a room with my gas at times. But it comes and goes. I don't really know why it happens at some times and not others. ( and I assure you - I've tried tracking it). If we were not vegan, would we even be having this conversation? Of course not - we would blame it on beans or whey protein powder. Gas happens. And shit happens. What's really normal? 20 farts per day and 5 bowel movements per day? Or 2 farts per day and 3 bowel movements per week? Who knows??!!

Yeah I'm about the same as DV, it comes and goes.

Some foods make it worse (Soy Protein is one that can do this)

but I'll either have a break from them for a while or just put up with it.

I work in a office, so if I think I've got some noxious brewing I'll go for a walk...

Still everyone knows I'm vegan, so most people expect us to have gas anyway.

Oh puleeze!

For the past centuries, dogs have been bred to resist human farts. They are completely immune at this point. That's the real reason why they are "man's best friend."

Odd, how Robert is so worried about this..............

Oh puleeze!

For the past centuries, dogs have been bred to resist human farts. They are completely immune at this point. That's the real reason why they are "man's best friend."

Haha, I don't know, when I'm at my folks house I sleep with my dog and she is under the sheets with me. One time I let one out and she came up from under the sheets and was not happy with me.

Josh can confirm this..........when he was hear, I was inside with all the doors and windows closed and farted and the neighbor's dog started barking.

I was concerned about tat's dog because I know what can result when bad gas is unleashed. I damn near killed Zack at the Vegan Vacation Beach House when he entered the laundry room.

I do believe that vegans fart more than most people and I'm trying to break it down to a science and find out exactly why.

Be nice to your dogs! No Dutch Ovens!

HAHAHAHA! I've been laugh-fart-laugh-fart-laugh-farting while reading this thread.

My dog is okay... she's a little traumatized, and I think she'll be alright... it was the hard blast up against the wall that did her in... She's out of a coma and begging me for pieces of my apple again. A good sign indeed...

So.. I guess the basic general consensus as to what to do about this is to try to change my protein powder up if it happens excessively, and see if the gas slows down at all, and if not... just let 'er rip, right?

I mean, I certainly don't MIND farting.. I just don't wanna kill every living thing in a 1 mile radius when I DO fart...

That sounds like a plan, Tatman.

For the record, I fart much less as a vegan than I did as an omni. I was lactose intolerant (in the gas sense) for years and didn't know it. It's the same for all the women in my family. We've had much more peaceful holidays now that 3 of us are vegan and my omni sister always comes to our homes - where she can't get near dairy. Our farts were legendary it seems. All of our husbands, boyfriends used to talk about them when they would meet.

I sort of miss that.

its reassuring to know this isnt just me who has this problem!

Iv only started training properly for a week now and been using soya protein shakes and CHRRRIIIIIST iv been farting loooooaaadssss!

and they pretty awful smells too!

rather than pills or supplements is there anythin you can eat that might help balance it out?

rather than pills or supplements is there anythin you can eat that might help balance it out?

Try a different protein or formulation. I had problems using some GNC crap that was soy+sucralost. soy+sugar or my current pea+fruit+soymilk works much better.

im about to run out of my first ever batch so i might try pea protein for a while and see how that settles!

I got told off by my training buddy for skipping protein shakes on the days I have dates haha!

Man, I so hear that!!!! I just met someone I REALLY REALLY like and we have our 2nd date tonight and I'm having some conversations with my body to PULEEEEEEZ try to hold off until tomorrow. LOL

I think some women have kind of trained their bodies to either be very discreet about it or to really try to hold it in when the time calls for it, so it's a teeny bit less of a problem for some of us... but STILL! ha, ha. For some reason Soy and Hemp seem to give me less of a problem than if I over do the Pea Isolate.

Edited by veggieprincess

Well... I'm a couple weeks in now with the regular protein supplements, and I think my body is starting to get used to them. The gas isn't quite as bad lately, although, it's still there. It does make for an interesting time at the gym, though, while I'm doing incline ab crunches, and trying to hold it in so that I don't let out this loud machine gun fart every time that I sit up. HA!

On second thought, why am I even sharing this?

I say use this to your advantage. Go in lines at McDonald's...let it out...everyone will leave...then you can just ask for free ketchup.

The people are at *McDonalds*. The smell will probably just make them more hungry.

Yeah, it might cover up the smell of what they're actually serving.