running race unofficially

bpmojo

I've heard that its good to do a 5k race 2 weeks before a marathon and sure indeed there is one in Austin this saturday. I was thinking about just running it unoffically since it would basically just be a training run for me and didn't feel like dropping $25, but could still sign up till tonight @ midnight.

If you run it "illegally" is there any tact one should perform such as not crossing the finish line and veering off before?

Yeah, when I was a runner, I ran a bunch of those 5k races without registering. Now as an event organizer myself, I always like to register knowing how much work goes into putting on an event.

But yeah, veer off and don't cross the finish like. Everyone should have a race number and by not having one they should know that you don't need to be counted so just veer off in the final 100 meters or so and stop your watch when you cross the "finish."

Best of luck!

Honestly in a 5k I say run by yourself. If it were a HS cross country race or a long race it would be a different story. But in a 5k with ten billion runners you'll get a better workout on your own and you'll have a better time. If it were say a 10k or longer you'd do better but a 5k is so short.

Bandits are rightfully very frowned upon by race organizers and other racers. If you bandit, you are stealing resources from people who paid for them, simple as that. Also, if you hurt yourself during the run you haven't filled out a waiver form and potentially open up the race director to legal action. Alot of hard work goes into putting on a race, and by stealing the race you're making a statement that you don't think that work has any value.

I share this feeling more and more as an event organizer. Now that I organize events, I have to deal with people sneaking into my festivals, taking things, acting in ways that aren't responsible, etc. Being an event organizer is a very tough thing and in nearly all cases, organizers put an event on for the community, first and foremost, not for money or personal gain.

i think im just gonna follow potters advice and just run a 5k around my neighborhood...but like..reallly hard race pace. saves the me the time of driving over to where the race is and any other ethical qualms.

You could always gather up some friends and run together somewhere, or post an ad on craigslist for serious runners, that can help you the pace you desire.Or if you have a stopwatch you could just time yourself.

• 1 month later...
I share this feeling more and more as an event organizer. Now that I organize events, I have to deal with people sneaking into my festivals, taking things, acting in ways that aren't responsible, etc. Being an event organizer is a very tough thing and in nearly all cases, organizers put an event on for the community, first and foremost, not for money or personal gain.

I sympathize with all that, Robert, but otoh, people can be obnoxious even when they've paid. I entered a cycling ride which had a century option. I rode the century and was beat at the end. I also paid, but when I arrived at the tents, all the food was gone because others who'd done short distances had fed their families, or eaten more than their share.

I also have run races bandit, but never, ever ate the bananas, or anything else....didn't even drink their water.