need advice - how to deal with a glut?

anastasia

How do you deal with someone who you have to spend a lot of time with, but who doesn't shut up about food? This person talks non-stop about what he eats, how much he eats (he brags about it eating 10 tamales, it's quite ing), even how he manages to get as much food for free as he possible can (did I mention he's extremely cheap too). I see him a lot, unfortunately. Ever since becoming vegan I've changed the way I look at food--it's not really something that's the center of my life anymore, it's a necessity. I eat what my body needs and anything beyond that is just excess. So it's pretty ing to listen to this guy go on and on about food. He knows I'm vegan but he'll still talk about how delicious his cow tongue taco was, which grosses me out. I don't expect him to understand that my attitude towards food has changed, but for crying out loud, have some sense.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had some advice for me on how to deal with this guy. Right now when he starts up on the subject of food, I just ignore him...like he'll describe something totally gross and go, "doesn't that sound delicious?" And I just won't say anything, mostly because I'm trying my best not to puke all over the place. But he hasn't taken the hint and he just keeps at it. What should I do? I really don't know how much more I can take, I'm not a violent person but sometimes I feel like he needs a good old fashioned smack in the face to shut him up. Help!

Gluttons are usually fat, and I find fat people to be pathetic (in most cases; extreme medical conditions barred). I also find gluttons to be pathetic. And people who eat animal products. So that's a triple whammy right there.

I would try not to associate with that person if you can help it. Or you can tell him how pathetic you think he is and that he's a waste of life. At this point he may get offended so that's when you tell him to put up or shut up. I don't have patience for these losers, but I'm also a hot-headed and thick skulled guy.

I've thought about just being honest with him, but he is actually my study partner. I'm taking 6 classes this semester and he is in five of them. Last semester we had a bunch of classes together so we just ended up studying together for most quizzes, exams, etc. So I can't really be totally honest with him because I see him every day, and on the weekends sometimes if we have an exam coming up. I can't really offend him, at least not until the end of the semester, because if nothing else he's reliable when it comes to studying for classes. I could live with it if he'd just stop talking about food so darn much!

I would say try to explain why you don't appreciate his topics about food, and if he doesn't stop you could always start leaving some subtle hints (like pamphlets) about how animals are really treated just lying around. Maybe this person really is in the dark about offending you, or perhaps he could care less, but either way you shouldn't just ignore it.

He's obviously trying to get a reaction out of you, so as long as he keeps getting a reaction of some sort (turning green counts as a reaction) he's going to prodding to see what else he can get out of you. If he starts talking about his latest taco feast, just give him a blank stare and say (interrupting, if possible) "That's great, but what did you think about question #5 here?" or something. No reaction = no reward.

-or-

If you're his study partner for five classes, he needs you as much as you need him. It's in his best interests not to offend you. Tell him point-blank that his stories aren't funny or amusing, that they actually offend you to the point where you'd consider ending the arrangement. If his behavior is a big enough distraction, you'd be better off with other study partner(s) anyway.

-or-

Tell him that you'll listen to all the stories he wants to tell, if he'll read "Diet For a New America" and "Skinny Bitch" from cover to cover first. That way if he doesn't read them, he'll have to shut up because he hasn't read them... and if he has read them, I imagine he'll be going on and on about the vegan buffet at Pepper Tree instead.