Vegan Strip Club opens in Portland tonight

robert

I'm not endorsing it, just sharing the news many of you already know anyway (well, locals from PDX).

http://www.myspace.com/casadiablo

Here is their Philosophy:

What is Casa Diablo Gentlemen's Club all about? It's about dispelling the myths and lies that permeates human existence. It's about grabbing God by the balls and saying, "Hey, I'm not taking anymore of your shit, asshole!" There is a new king in town and we are taking over. We do things a little differently around here. Number one of which is that we don't murder innocent creatures. That's right. Casa Diablo Gentlemen's Club is the world's first and only vegan strip club. Don't be fooled by the political correctness posers out there. We aren't feminazis. We are femi-libertarians! Creatures, human and non-human, should be allowed to do what ever they want as long as they don't step on someone else's hooves. In this Universe that is virtually impossible but we mean to change all that ... eventually. In the meantime during our battle with God while we are trying to save all creatures from pain and suffering why not come down and have a look see. Casa Diablo Gentlemen's Club brings you the finest exotic dancers from around the world giving you a healthy dose of cruelty free pleasure ... because we can.

Johnny Diablo

Lord & Master

----

I figured it would bring up interesting discussion.......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I'd take one for the team and do 'research' on the new place.

It's actually really good.

First off it's non-smoking, which is a huge thing for me. The strip clubs I've been to in Portland (and it's been a while...) have all be smoky as all heck. So it's nice to go to a place like this that isn't a smoky hell hole.

The new menu is pretty slimmed down (and also less expensive). Lots of Mexican influenced stuff (like Vegan tacos, burritos, taco salad/etc). For $5 I got a sizable taco platter w/ beans, rice and chips. Tasty.

They've downplayed the vegan aspect big time, the menu doesn't say VEGAN, although everything is. I think a lot of people who aren't veg are going to discover 'by accident' that the vegan food their is tasty.

I'm told that a couple of the regular dances are vegan, a few vegetarian but not all vegan. The new woman manager and owner are of course vegan.

I know strip clubs aren't everyone's fare, but this one is clean, smoke free, friendly and with 100% vegan food. What more can you ask for?

Nice to see you did some research. I'm very surprised the food was cheap too. I haven't been to a strip club for 7 years, and 3 years before that but I used to go a late in middle school and early in high school and I remember food was extremely expensive...way more than what Pirates Tavern cost me.

I'm really ed by vegans who are against the exploitation of animals but think exploiting women is a-ok.

Racism is wrong, speciesism is wrong and the sex industry is the most inheritly misogynist industry in this part of the world. Really wish more would consider the connections.

might I suggest the sexual polotics of meat by Carol Adams.

Maybe you could save me the read and explain the connections?

Well it's a whole book and alot of ideas so I'm not sure I could do that. Plus i have not done the years of research or have the education and training, experience that Carol Adams has.

So no I can't.

I can say this. The industry exploiting animals has made a industry out of selling animals bodies. the whole system of food animal explitation requires the manipulation of animals sexuality.

The sex industry is mostly male oriented, and indeed this new club is called a "gentleman's club" meaning that johnny has set it up with the sole prupose of feeding the sexual hedonism of one gender by marketing the flesh of women in his club.

Women who do not choose to take part in the sex trade, still have in live in the world with men's whose attitudes are shaped by places like this. If We can't trust men in the vegan community to be ethically opposed to this type of thing then we are not progressing.

This places makes the vegan community look stupid. besides in the willamette Week johnny insulted our entire vegan community by blaming the failing of the pirate's tvern on "vegans being poor or living below the poverty line."

That looks great to the community. Thanks alot. The reality is this owner was dogged by accusations of racist and sexist behavior. No one in this community should give him a dime.

Count, it sounds personal between you and Johnny.

There are 100's of strip clubs in Portland, so if I had to chose, I'd chose vegan and non-smoking...thank you.

I think a more valid issue is Johnny's quote in the WW article: http://wweek.com/editorial/3413/10351/

"Pirates Tavern went out of business in December 2007, Diablo says, because most vegans live at the poverty level or below."

Which I think is a very negative and damaging statement to the veg community.

Count, it sounds personal between you and Johnny.

There are 100's of strip clubs in Portland, so if I had to chose, I'd chose vegan and non-smoking...thank you.

Never met the scumbag. If being offended by racist sexist people shitting on veganism's good name. ok maybe it's personal

I'm against all strip clubs, but espicallyones run by people claiming to be vegan and fighting for justice.

You don't have to choose to go to a strip club ever. You make it sound like you need to look at naked women you don't know.

One struggle one fight.

Allegations of poverty are insulting?

Yes. Saying most vegans are poor is insulting. All vegans aren't anything....

I agree. I mean I'm poor, but it looks bad to the whole community. So are people exploiting women and opening clubs focused on the hedonism of one gender who already controls most of the power structure in society.