Newbie, getting in shape (other than round)

b3studios

Well, I just found this website and it seems great, so I figured that I'd introduce myself.

This is precisely the type of forum I was looking for because most of the people that I know think that it is impossible to be healthy (much less physically fit) without eating red meat.

So, here is my story:

I just turned 30. Despite the fact that my wife and I have been vegetarian for 5 years, I've gotten less healthy over the years (not because of a meat deficiency).

My physique is what I would describe as "scrawny pudgy". I'm thin and scrawny everywhere except around my waist, where too many beers and too much cheese has decided to accumulate.

At the start of the new year, I decided to get my act together and get in shape. This had lead me to go mostly vegan, getting rid of the cheese and eggs that I ate previously.

I altered my diet, and for the past month we have had no processed food, and have been eating mostly fresh produce everyday.

I started exercising, doing cardio daily. I'm now up to 1hr a day on either the elliptical or exercise bike. Additionally I have been using a bowflex 3 times a week.

In a month I've dropped 10-11 lbs, and I'm currently 5'7 and 148lbs (on a small frame). Admittedly, some of that weight was put on during the holidays. I still have a bit of a spare tire and some love handles, but I feel MUCH better.

Now, I'm wanting to actually bulk up some and add some muscle, as I wouldn't really mind the level of fat that I have now, if I were more proportioned everywhere else.

I've been drinking some soy protein shakes twice a day and have really stepped up my weight routine.

I understand that many factors affect the answer (genetics, diet, routine, etc), but what is a realistic expectation for increasing muscle size for a beginner?

Thanks, and any links to good diet plans, or workout routines for a beginner looking to add some mass would be great! (and I'm continuing to read old posts so hopefully I'll find some there)

I'll post some "beginning" pictures soon.

Thanks,

Rick

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've really made a huge investment in enhancing your quality of life. Congratulations for that!

As a newbie (around ~ 3 months of building muscle) myself I'd say it's remarkably easy to look totally different in just couple of months. Just eat enough protein and lift weights at near maximum level 3-4 times a week -> it won't take much of your time so it's really worth a try.

Also, the feeling after pumping is really great. I feel depressed if I can't train (I just had some shoulder pain and took 3-4 day break and I was almost devastated ) so I think I'd train even if I didn't try to build muscle, just to get the feeling.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've really made a huge investment in enhancing your quality of life. Congratulations for that!

As a newbie (around ~ 3 months of building muscle) myself I'd say it's remarkably easy to look totally different in just couple of months. Just eat enough protein and lift weights at near maximum level 3-4 times a week -> it won't take much of your time so it's really worth a try.

Also, the feeling after pumping is really great. I feel depressed if I can't train (I just had some shoulder pain and took 3-4 day break and I was almost devastated ) so I think I'd train even if I didn't try to build muscle, just to get the feeling.

thanks! and I can already understand what you mean about feeling depressed about not working out.

I try and squeeze in some cardio at least, even if I can't get a full work out.

Right now, I'm following a bowflex routine that has me doing a whole body workout 3 days a week, and I'm considering switching to upper body days and lower body days. I really don't have the time to do both cardio and weights every weekday.

Any suggestions? Benefits of splitting a workout vs. a complete body one?

thanks again.

Welcome

Muscle growth for a beginner can vary greatly(especially if you aren't a teenager). I've seen slackers gain 10lbs a month very consistently for many months and I've also seen people work extremely hard and only gain a few lbs a month at best(they always look better though).

Based on what i've read, someone who just starts training for the first time, has the ability to put on about 2% of their bodyweight in lean muscle over the course of 6-9 weeks of intensive training.

Welcome and looking forward to the beginning pics. I will be posting as well shortly as i too started this year completely out of shape (although, i have a past track record of being in impeccable shape so my gains will probably be extra due to muscle memory and the fact that i have a good grasp on what to do already from day 1).

Welcome Rick! When you first start lifting weights, the gains are usually pretty good no matter what you do. It is when you have some time under your belt that you really need to find a good program that works for you. It certainly is a good idea to start looking early, though. I personally prefer split routines over whole body routines because I feel I can exercise with more intensity with split training. Right now I am doing a split of upper body one day and lower body and core the next. It is similar to what I have heard one of our more muscular members, Daywalker, talk about using.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LightHeavy.html

That site is also good for showing you exercises. You can just adapt what you can to a Bowflex equivalent if you want.

• 3 weeks later...