12 weeks out for "Vegan Olympia" on July 25th - 27th 2013!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah dude, I keep seeing these pics sent to me of you squatting 400 and 500lbs but I keep saying the same thing...you gotta let other see the power man!

Great lean photos from the previous page. Now I know what to evaluate as we both consider competing in 2009, perhaps at the same show

Look forward to training with you tomorrow.

Have a good one man! Let's really build up this Portland community again too. Great seeing you and thendanisays on a very regular basis and mishe and Tasha and Jessifly on a pretty regular basis too but we gotta get the group to grow and expand. Others are around, we'll bring them out.

Train Hard - Eat Plenty

*LnG is competing and will be on stage by the third week of april 09 BUDDY!

*Myself, Robert and Octopussoir will be going head to head

*I will be video blogging as often as possible and posting more often in my journal

*It shall be done

500lb 1/2 squats (12/26/08)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/jackbklyn01/500lbsquat.jpg

Video #1

Intro (01/02/08) A video explaining the game plan and the initial 1 day water fast

Ok ok, so the second half of last year had many trials and tribulations in correlation to training/maintaining and gaining lbm. I am most certainly 'Lean' and Green but I have lost a good chunk of lbm imo and I haven't been where I should be. What held me back and what could potentially hurt my performance currently?

*Rotator cuff inpingement since 06/23/08 that HAS NOT HEALED YET AGGGGH

*Gotta long distance girlfriend and chose to spend as much time connecting and getting

closer

*Moving across the country with her, solved that BUT career searching and the general time

management issues that surface when you leave your life behind 3436 miles away!

*As a result of all of this my progress has been lacking

HOWEVER

*My diet is on par and is where it needs to be; my discipline and ability to focus without

stressing is exactly where it needs to be. (***with the exception of some comfort food

today as I feel like crap and severly under the weather; couldn't even workout today; I pray

I doesn't worsen).

*Muscle Memory and strength is there.

*3 1/2 months, while seemingly insufficient is way more than enough time to make an

excellent showing to be proud of; i've done it before.

Rather than dwell on 08' mishaps till the very end, i'd like to post a good accomplishment to give all an idea of my capabilities.

12/26/08

BARBELL SQUATS: 195, 215, 235, 255 x 6

285, 315 x 3

335, 355, 375, 395 x 1

435 1/2squat x 8

455 1/2squat x 6

475 1/2squat x 4

500 1/4-1/2squat x1

I use the power rack and set the side bolts to exactly where I want to bring the bar down to and it gave me my confidence back on squats, IMMEDIATELY; like within 1 session. I am now once again stronger with squats than deadlifts.

Ok responses to posts

Tuc, MY MAN, thank you for the criticism, all points that dwell in my mind as well. It will be hard to train my upper body as my shoulder is messed up, I haven't trained shoulders directly in over 6 months, we'll see what happens, no matter what, i'll do it up to the best of ym capabilities!

Natasha, I love you so much my dear friend. You're amazing; thank you for showering my page with so much love

Katabatic, I will be posting in the very near future about what I am doing now with diet. The basis is always 200g of protein from spirulina, which equates to about 350 grams a day! Sprout grains and beans, drink veggie juice blends, throw in some healthy nuts/seeds/oils for gourmet stuff and hi calorie power when you're really looking to mass up There's no miracle science behind it, I swear, just train hard and eat hard.

RC YEAHHHHHH BUDDY; thank for all you do and your continued surrealistic positive influence on my life. We should organize better group gatherings, it's just a matter of doing it, we know the interest is out there! As for the pic you mean the one I just uploaded from my cell phone specifically for this post specifically as per your request at the beginning of this post?? I'm WITH YOU RC

I'm going to LOVE to follow this, just as I loved following your juice feast this sumer.

Quinoa and buckwheat are actually not grains (as in grasses). Buckwheat is a herb and quinoa is a flowering plant. Just good to know .

Also, there's a hole in your pants. Maybe it's the European cut DV talks about sometimes...

I wasn't aware of that offense, so herbs and flower for bulking power eh? NICE.

The hole in my pants.... well those shorts are from 1994 and I refuse to get rid of them. They are like my game shorts. Anytime i'm in serious comp for something or I wanna kick someone's arse in a sport, I rock them. People shake their heads at me as I am basically exposed but I don't look it as that. To me, they get me hyped and pumped. I have a shirt that I made from a tank top in 2002 as well that does the same thing and is just as shoddy, I'll wear it for the next vid, lol.

I'll tell you what doesn't help serious comp, I AM SICK.... REALLY SICK. Dani said it sounds like the flu. It started with a sore throat 72 hours ago and it got really bad around 5pm yesterday evening at work. Last night was absolutely ing. I was not able to shut my eyes for more than 5 min all night long (12:00am-6:00am) before looking up at the clock and wondering if the night had passed yet.

It has been years since I felt like this. Super clogged up sinuses and nasal cavities and a very inflammed and sore throat and a deep mucous membrane cough from the lungs has made it impossible to breathe, breathing makes me nervous and when I relax and fall asleep I wake up suffocated. A terrible fever, no thermometer but I have one, my body is hot, I am freezing. A massive headache that feels like my head is exploding and popping off my neck. It can't get worse than this, that's the only good thing. HELP!

Dani boiled some water and put tea tree oil in it; I just inhaled the steam for 10min and am standing up for fear of laying down will stunt my breathing again. It helped, slightly. When it comes to crap like this, honestly, just freaking drug me up do something, it's DEBILITATING, I have a comp, I need to eat, I need to train. This is no good. SO, she went to get me alka seltzer and Nyquil so I can rest otherwise I cannot shut down and fall asleep. I cannot do anything other than let the flu pass, it isn't treatable but i can alleviate symptoms so I can rest and regenerate quicker. Hope I feel better soon!!!!!!! buddy......

Giacomo!!!!!! I am so sorry you are still feeling sick. Sometimes it helps to sleep with several pillows under your head or to sleep sitting in a recliner. This helps with the head congestion and keeps you from coughing. A vaporizer is also a good choice. When I get sick like that, I say "bring on the meds". Theraflu becomes my best friend. That stuff really works. I would love to hear of other natural remedies people might have.

As far as your competition goes, I am rooting for you 110%!!!!!! You have so much determination and drive that I know you are going to do awesome!!!!

Oh, and if you are in need of a pair of shorts, I have some extra mens clothes laying around the house I could send to you. LOL Do you think he will miss them?????? Ha!

Oh, and if you are in need of a pair of shorts, I have some extra mens clothes laying around the house I could send to you. LOL Do you think he will miss them?????? Ha!

We could make a thing out of this! The women of the board can lure men to their home and steal their pants. These can then be sent to L&G. Like pants sirens of some sorts...

I'll tell you what doesn't help serious comp, I AM SICK.... REALLY SICK. Dani said it sounds like the flu. It started with a sore throat 72 hours ago and it got really bad around 5pm yesterday evening at work. Last night was absolutely ing. I was not able to shut my eyes for more than 5 min all night long (12:00am-6:00am) before looking up at the clock and wondering if the night had passed yet.

It has been years since I felt like this. Super clogged up sinuses and nasal cavities and a very inflammed and sore throat and a deep mucous membrane cough from the lungs has made it impossible to breathe, breathing makes me nervous and when I relax and fall asleep I wake up suffocated. A terrible fever, no thermometer but I have one, my body is hot, I am freezing. A massive headache that feels like my head is exploding and popping off my neck. It can't get worse than this, that's the only good thing. HELP!

This is almost exactly what I got except that it never hit my lungs! Some nights I had to take Nyquil and benadryl just to sleep through the night (warning: this made me sleep 10-11 hours each time so work that into your schedule if you try it). I had it for 2 weeks - still do - so I hope you get over it a lot quicker. Thanks for not coming over last night, LOL!

Sweat it out in a sauna or steam with copious amounts of Orange Jiuce, if you can. It worked well for me took no meds, was working, walking all day, has some muscle ache, worked out a couple of times was ok, wished i would have pushed my self more with the number of times I did. Stay super warm all the time, beanie, socks, slippers, OJ.

Sending healing vibs your way, Hope you get them.

Yup DV, sounds like the pdx crud we had/have.

LG, if you caught the same thing we had in my house, ugh, stay on top of it. We all treated it differently, it seems like getting on it early with steam (yay Dani) and lots of garlic, ginger, chile, vitamin c, and double upped zinc is the way to go with this sucker. Warm rooms. One of us was downing a bottle of nyquil a day - no effect. One of us (who shall remain nameless cough cough) needs to get more sleep to kick it.

I have this theory about this cold. It makes your immune system use A LOT of energy, so when your body tells you to carb it up, give it what it needs.

Hope you feel better, hope Dani doesn't catch it.

Be a good vegan and kill that mofo flu.

I'm just getting over something myself.

I took advil severe allergy (makes no sense really but I was recommended it), Zicam, and Theraflu. Lots of orange juice based smoothies (with protein powder of course! ), soups, and sleep. Killed it in about 4 days.

And by the way, Zack, you are once again an asshole.

Thank you everyone for all the love and support. I managed to record another blog entry as I felt it would be fitting to include one discussing how sick I feel. And btw, I woke up feeling like a mac truck ran me over last night this morning. So it seems like this will last longer than I wanted it to as the fever was coming back last night and I feel horrendous this morning.... AACHK

VeganJoe, the only thing on my agenda today is to get to the steam and sauna and sweat this out; thanks for the advice!!!!

Vegan Josh, not sure, perhaps I need to speak louder or have less background noise. It is my camera and I am not in the market to buy another one at the moment.

VivalasVegans and DV, welcome to Portland, where's there's 2 1/2 feet of snow and plenty of flu to go around for your welcoming, eh? DV, yeh i'm glad I didn't come over as well!

EmilyRobin, thank you for your well wishes....

Amy, send the pants over ! .... -pants siren

Zack, i'd expect nothing less from a brat >:) Tasha thanks for fighting him off!!!

Sprouted kidney beans are supposedly poisonous:

Red kidney beans: Incidents of food poisoning have been reported associated with the consumption of raw or undercooked red kidney beans. Symptoms may develop after eating only four raw beans and include nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain followed by diarrhoea. A naturally occurring haemaglutin is responsible for the illness, but can be destroyed by high temperature cooking, making the beans completely safe to eat. For this reason, kidney beans must not be sprouted. Kidney beans should be soaked for at least 8 hours in enough cold water to keep them covered. After soaking, drain and rinse the beans, discarding the soaking water. Put them into a pan with cold water to cover and bring to the boil. The beans must now boil for 10 minutes to destroy the toxin. After this the beans should be simmered until cooked (approximately 45-60 minutes) and they should have an even creamy texture throughout - if the centre is still hard and white, they require longer cooking.

From Vegsoc

Potter said he ate them sprouted, but then again he ate just about anything

Cubby, you and me both!!!! Right now I have been looking for steady work which keeps me from my preferred recreational activities on the internet, such as purusing around VBBF!

OFFENSE!!! Thank yo for the advice, I am not going to consume the kidney beans, instead I am going with mung beans. I didn't get a chance to speak about that in this video or the next one that I will post in a couple of hours but I will. Your advice really helped, who knows what could have happened eventually.

So from now on, I think it would be cool to respond to any posts on the video blog, I am going to try and stick to that to give it a more life like personal effect/touch. Yes?

03_Still Sick! (01/06/09)

I am uploading a video from yesterday (01/07/09) right now that gives everyone a detailed macronutrient breakdown of my diet as well and it's kind of funny as I am being antagonized by the filmmaker (gf/thendanisays)

And btw, not better yet, woke up with a massive headache, and my sinuses are still significantly clogged up, ughhhh....

I will start a video blog next week. I will catch up with you this weekend man! Be well, stay focused on the prize. Octo and I are keeping in close contact as well and together we're going to make some noise this spring.

Keep on it! Be well....see you soon....buddy.

L&G,

Get well soon. I know you are takng all the right things to get better. Just think that with all of this rest your body will be ready to smash the weights in the gym and you will get your grow on!!.

I will be following along and support you 100%.

Yeah Buddy!!

This is a good one! Trash talking Octo, RC, alot of sarcasm. I also talk about my diet and the macronutrient breakdown. I will of course discuss this further in length in the next coming videos!! I still feel like crap btw; damn you sinus headache, DAMN YOU

04_Getting Better + Dietary Breakdown

Hey LG Buddy

I just wanted to apologize for not being as talkative last night.

I was in the middle of sorting some things out with another dear friend of mine to the rescue.

I wonder what life would be like without having family and true friends, when you're in need

Thanks for being one of them.

Oh another note, I didn't go to the gym yesterday. I Hope to go with RC later on. Perhaps you can come if you can. I would love to work out with you.

Pictionary later this week too ? Sounds like so much !!!

YB!!!!