what do you use when your protein shake runs out

veganxben

The other day i ran out! and carried on training!

however it was clear i wasnt lifting as much as i usually could!

so clearly my protein intake effects my training on the day quite dramatically!

what do you use to substitute your shakes if you run out and need to train still?

I was thinking of using a whole block of silken tofu with milk and fruit into a smoothie.

Would this work?

I try to keep hemp on hand (seed or powder)as a backup when the Vega runs out!

The milks themselves probably could get you by (hemp, almond soy)

Don't forget smoothies in a blender things like seeds, nuts, and fruits are a great quick meal!

I don't know why people take high protein foods in right before working out...it doesn't give you real fuel...its pretty much 100% psychological. If your body is using protein for energy you aren't eating enough non protein foods since we use carbs first, fat second and protein as a last resort.

I always have something on hand for a good substitute. I bought a fifty pound bag of defatted, heat-treated soy flour to use for shakes so I could have a whole food besides hemp for them. Turns out it tastes nasty, so I now just use it as a flour to boost protein in bean cakes and such. I will use it when I run low, just using lots of carob or something in the shakes to cover the flavor. I would just recommend not running out.

So I gather from this discussion that people have protein shakes before a workout? I have avoided this and had them after workouts, but I have no scientific reason for this and I'm a relative newbie.

It depends on how far ahead of the workout you're talking about. Some people have a light protein shake (10 - 20 grams) a couple of hours before a workout, while others will swear more along carbohydrates. I'm more about having carbohydrates and a little bit of protein a couple of hours before said workout.

yeah i hadnt planned on running out and just needed something to keep me going while my order arrived! (which should be today!)

so yeah the whole block of silken tofu im smoothies has worked well!

had one with fruit and milk which is nice! and one with chocolate alpro milk!

but yeah i usually odnt have a protein shake before working out and have a good 1 1/2 to 2 scoops afterwards!

I usually have one scoop shake in the morning when i get up and one just before i sleep!

never heard of having one before training. weird!