Phils art work

phillipeb

I had a thread before with my work but the site hiccuped and lost it. Here is the new one with a few drawings i have done recently:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2245072596_38f9bfe2b3.jpg

squid walk

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2246702292_0002c53a30.jpg

I was laughing at this one because it kinda looks like robert. Anywho this one is called bodybuilder.

here is the link to my album on flickr:

philart1

I have a ton more photos i have drawn lately but no way to digitize them. Hopefully that will change soon.

Edited by phillipeb

Hey Phillipeb! Your Squid Walk piece is really interesting! Is it going to be a painting? You've got a great understanding of form and dimension. Nice work!

jonzen

I hadn't thought to do a painting. I was never very good expressing myself in painting form unless i was doing a reproduction of work. For me it was too layered to meaning intensive to be representational of my sketching done with alacrity.

this one however i would love seen turned either into computer art or a painting for my niece:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2381/1525090251_82f6198e96.jpg

I checked out your myspace page and i must say that i am impressed with your art especially: "The Guardian 1983" Something about that picture just makes me stare at it and try to trace the lines. It has a wonderfully organic feel.

Yes! I can definitely see that drawing interpreted into painting! I wish I was closer, I'd be happy to help you get into painting! If you have any questions please ask, okay? And thanks for the ADD on myspace and the comment about "The Guardian" painting.......that was one of the last pieces I did in California......I painted myself as a tiger in Napa Valley, and the starlings were all the new people flying into the valley, changing the way of life there. Now I know that this seems to happen everywhere!

With Deepest Bows,

jonzen

Yes! I can definitely see that drawing interpreted into painting! I wish I was closer, I'd be happy to help you get into painting! If you have any questions please ask, okay? And thanks for the ADD on myspace and the comment about "The Guardian" painting.......that was one of the last pieces I did in California......I painted myself as a tiger in Napa Valley, and the starlings were all the new people flying into the valley, changing the way of life there. Now I know that this seems to happen everywhere!

With Deepest Bows,

jonzen

Man that was the best offer i have ever had. I always fancied myself learning in the style of an apprentice. I have always had the nack of reproducing what i was told or shown. Someday our paths will cross and you can be sure i will be badgering you with questions.

When my money situation stabilizes i will be buying some art supplies and practicing my fine art skills that have been disued since college. Until then its paper pencil and the occasional pen.

I do have a question though, Are there certain brands of paints that you use. One of my fears was buying art supplies only to find them to not be vegan friendly.

Gosh, Phillipeb, now you've got me wondering! A hole in my vegan lifestyle? I have not checked out my paints!!! I have been using acrylic paint on canvas or masonite or MDF panel since I started back in......oh, never mind...! ha! Anyway.... I generally use Liquitex, but lately like Golden, sometimes just Basic (I think that's a Liquitex product too?) or Winsor & Newton Galleria brand.

Now I wonder if any of this is vegan? God, what if it isn't?? What would I do then? Oy Vey!

I always use Daniel Smith gessos for underpainting panels and canvas and other foundations. It is the best quality I have found, but again, I do not know if it is vegan friendly!

Anyone in our forum know about this??? I'd love to be educated on this subject, and soon!

Namaste,

jonzen

Gosh, Phillipeb, now you've got me wondering! A hole in my vegan lifestyle? I have not checked out my paints!!! I have been using acrylic paint on canvas or masonite or MDF panel since I started back in......oh, never mind...! ha! Anyway.... I generally use Liquitex, but lately like Golden, sometimes just Basic (I think that's a Liquitex product too?) or Winsor & Newton Galleria brand.

Now I wonder if any of this is vegan? God, what if it isn't?? What would I do then? Oy Vey!

I always use Daniel Smith gessos for underpainting panels and canvas and other foundations. It is the best quality I have found, but again, I do not know if it is vegan friendly!

Anyone in our forum know about this??? I'd love to be educated on this subject, and soon!

Namaste,

jonzen

I think veganica.com has some information on these subjects. From what i read in passing the only ones to truely worry about were hues of blacks and reds based on where the pigmentation was derived (bone, beetle carapace)

Edited by phillipeb

Great idea Phil! Speaking of super heros......I just discovered a gaysuperhero page on myspace! Have you seen it? If you want, let me know and I can forward a link to it. There are some amazing images on there! I think superheros are hot! A triptych of superhero figures sounds like a great idea for a painting project!

I would love a link to the gay super hero page. Wow. I draw alot of super heros, call it a draw back from my first job as a teen at a comic book shop. I miss however my more fine art explorations. Thanks again for the heads up on the gay super hero art page.

• 15 years later...

Hi! I've also always really enjoyed making art, but I've never been very good at it. Over time, I realized that I would like to get much better at art, specifically drawing. For that I decided to use the help of this site uk.figuredart.com where I was able to buy paintings by number, which helped me a lot. With their help I was able to learn to draw much better, so you should also take advantage of this method if you want to learn to draw well.