B12?

b3studios

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure mine is methylcobalamin or something.

Most of my supplements have gelatin. I use what my dad gets... I take quite a few different supplements for various reasons.

Gelatin isnt vegan though.

I am aware.

Doing the best you can!

• 1 month later...
I'm pretty sure mine is methylcobalamin or something.

Most of my supplements have gelatin. I use what my dad gets... I take quite a few different supplements for various reasons.

Gelatin isnt vegan though.

I am aware.

I'd be careful with gelatin, it contains some of the worst animal parts with the highest risks of containing prions.

We in France, vegans take vitamin B12 in ampoules (delagrange). It's vegan and reimbursed by the Security Council.

Salut! didn't know there was a French girl here. Yeah in France they care about giving many different free services like that, as I've seen in Michael Moore's Farheineit 9/11.

I know it's not considers Vegan but Bee Pollen has a lot of B 12 in it along with alot of other stuff. That's the main reason i eat Bee Pollen along with the anti oxidants and amino acids and other stuff. Some people find it un ethical, but i don't see a problem with it and if that's the worst thing i'm doing i'm doing better than 99.9 percent of people

LoL, we discussed a whole subject about the bee pollen, it's simply not vegan. Imagine if we arrive to a day where no more animals are exploited, all animals on the planet are free except for bees, which we would continue taking pollen and honey, that would be ridiculous.

The bees don't want an excuse like "but i don't see a problem with it and if that's the worst thing i'm doing i'm doing better than 99.9 percent of people"

So I take it there's no way to get B-12 from any naturally acurring Vegan source( Like a fruit, Veggetable, grain or bean ? )

No. Although there are claims of B12 in algae and other sources, it's questionable whether or not it's bioavailable.

This is not rocket science. Buy a pill. Swallow it.

Thread after thread after thread on every vegan forum?!

If your homocysteine levels becomes elevated from not eating B12 you will feel nothing. Nothing. And then you will get a heart attack.

Swallow the damn pill already.

I know it's not considers Vegan but Bee Pollen has a lot of B 12 in it along with alot of other stuff. That's the main reason i eat Bee Pollen along with the anti oxidants and amino acids and other stuff. Some people find it un ethical, but i don't see a problem with it and if that's the worst thing i'm doing i'm doing better than 99.9 percent of people

Some people don't find it unethical but rather unvegan.

I take a B12 supplement and it turns my pee neon yellow! Lol

I've read that it's best to take a supplement containing at least 10 mcg and consume fortified soy products. B12 is hard to absorb. Usually if someone has a B12 deficiency it's from not being able to absorb it properly, or a condition like anemia, rather than not consuming enough.

This is not rocket science. Buy a pill. Swallow it.

Thread after thread after thread on every vegan forum?!

If your homocysteine levels becomes elevated from not eating B12 you will feel nothing. Nothing. And then you will get a heart attack.

Swallow the damn pill already.

lol you sound so forceful. Like a Dominatrix.

I have looked for these pills before but never found any. I am sure Vegan Essentials would carry one.

What is the best organic, vegan one to use? I also heard they have one you just lightly spray into your mouth.

Some people don't find it unethical but rather unvegan.

If you don't find it unethical then what's the big deal? Whol cares what you call yourself

I personally do find it unethical. Its the equivilent of walking into your neighbor's house and taking food but justifying it by saying that you left them with enough to eat. Unethical and unvegan. Others who aren't for animal rights but rather animal welfare may or may not see it as unethical though.

It really doesn't matter what you call yourself but if you want to be respectful you wouldn't go around suggesting animal products to a vegan. This should be obvious...

I have looked for these pills before but never found any. I am sure Vegan Essentials would carry one.

What is the best organic, vegan one to use? I also heard they have one you just lightly spray into your mouth.

Forget about organic - it's made in a lab, not the ground.

I HIGHLY suggest that you take a B-complex but if you are only going to take B-12 then I believe Trader Joe's has a vegan/vegetarian one. The form of B-12 you want is Cyanocobalamin.

DV is right.

Almost all b-12 is harvested from b-12 grown in vats.

In my metropolitan area almost every drugstore has bottles of b-12. The only thing non-vegan about some are the binders and other things they use in tablets.

I'm sure if you went to some big box store you could find a bottle of b-12 without those things at a bargain basement price.

If you can get sublingual lozenges ( you hold the pill under your tounge until it dissolves ) it would be worth the trouble as taking b-12 that boosts how much absorb.

theres microorganisms in the body that make B12, if the body works fine, natural: sea-weed, kombucha

As I recall, it is made in our intestines but at lower part of the intestines than the part that absorb it, so it basically does not enter our systems.

I take a B12 supplement and it turns my pee neon yellow! Lol

I've read that it's best to take a supplement containing at least 10 mcg and consume fortified soy products. B12 is hard to absorb. Usually if someone has a B12 deficiency it's from not being able to absorb it properly, or a condition like anemia, rather than not consuming enough.

Correct and as you age your body is less efficient at absorbing it, so some elderly must take shots.

The form of B-12 you want is Cyanocobalamin.

I thought Methylcobalamin was the mroe effective because it does not have to be converted by our bodies.

For example,

http://www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monographs/Methylcobalamin.html

Methylcobalamin is a type of Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 comes in several kinds including hydroxy-, cyano-, and adenosyl-, but only the methyl form is used in the central nervous system. Deficiency states are fairly common and vitamin B12 deficiency mimics many other disease states of a neurological or psychological kind, and it causes anemia. Cyanocobalamin (the kind in vitamin supplements) is converted by the liver into methylcobalamin but not in therapeutically significant amounts. Vitamin B12 deficiency is caused by a wide range of factors including low gastric acidity (common in older people,) use of acid blockers such as Prilosecâ„¢ or excessive laxative use, lack of intrinsic factor, poor aborption from the intestines, lack of Calcium, heavy metal toxicity, or excessive Vitamin B12 degradation.

But larger doses are needed because it is harder to absorb:

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/noncyanob12

Some researchers question whether these non-cyanocobalamin supplements are stable in their oral form. For this reason, much larger amounts are typically used with hope that at least some are absorbed intact. One study suggests that once absorbed, methylcobalamin may be retained in the body better than cyanocobalamin.30

Edited by 9nines