Always feeling weak/fatigued

I saw my physician last week to address the following complaints:

- always weak and/or fatigued

- always cold - especially my hands, and feet

- weight loss with increased hunger

He didn't seem too concerned. He pressed me about my overall diet, health, and ordered blood tests.

A nurse contacted me a few days ago with the results. Everything came back normal.

My diet consists mainly of the following:

Daily:

Oatmeal or Kashi cereal

Almond Milk

Peanut butter

Sprouted Bread

Fresh Fruit

Various Frozen veggies

2 protein shakes (2 scoops of nutribiotic, water, and a handful of frozen fruit)

Other things in the mix ( but not always daily ):

Quinoa

Beans (lentils, black, chickpeas)

Hummus

Tempeh

Multi vitamin

B Complex a few times a week

Zinc before bed

So, why do i always feel like crap?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously mate i think posting here is only going to give you paranioa or just worry you like! cos we're not qualified to give a proffessional opinion (most of us anyway maybe)

maybe try alternative therapy! like accupuncture!

I've had that in the past and that has worked wonders for me!

what is your sleep pattern like?

Make sure your multi vitamin has everything in it...like copper. Sounds weird but you need copper if your are taking extra zinc for deeper sleep. I am guessing you take zinc for better sleep? Try a good ZMA that is the zinc mangnessium aspertate with copper.You need a good balance maybe? It could lead to fatigue. Well, I post because I assume you are looking for suggestions... this is in no way medical advice!

Could be iron deficiency?

That was my initial concern. Especially since my mom, and brothers are both anemic. I wasn't specially tested for anemia, but my hemoglobins came back normal.

Vitamin D deficiency? Did you get tested for that? They usually test for iron in common blood tests, so that would come back normal.

I was not. I'll look into that.

seriously mate i think posting here is only going to give you paranioa or just worry you like! cos we're not qualified to give a proffessional opinion (most of us anyway maybe)

maybe try alternative therapy! like accupuncture!

I've had that in the past and that has worked wonders for me!

what is your sleep pattern like?

I couldn't possibly get any more paranoid. I read enough crap in books, and the internet to fulfill that void. Im not asking for professional advice either. I understand the repercussions of asking such questions on an open forum like this. I just hoped to gain some more insight, and possibly other areas I should research. I Appreciate the concern though.

Make sure your multi vitamin has everything in it...like copper. Sounds weird but you need copper if your are taking extra zinc for deeper sleep. I am guessing you take zinc for better sleep? Try a good ZMA that is the zinc mangnessium aspertate with copper.You need a good balance maybe? It could lead to fatigue. Well, I post because I assume you are looking for suggestions... this is in no way medical advice!

That is the reason Im taking zinc. I just started on it last week though. The zma's i've found only have 10mg of zinc. The zinc i've been taking is 50mg.

I've been severely lacking adequate amounts of sleep over the past few years. Its something I'm been really trying to get under control. Lately I find myself getting around 7 hours of sleep a night. But, I still feel pretty drained about halfway through work. By the time I get home, and workout Im about to fall over.

As far as the multivitamin I should probably invest in something better. Im thinking about trying NOW's multivitamin once I finish these up.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I saw my physician last week to address the following complaints:

- always weak and/or fatigued

- always cold - especially my hands, and feet

- weight loss with increased hunger

He didn't seem too concerned. He pressed me about my overall diet, health, and ordered blood tests.

A nurse contacted me a few days ago with the results. Everything came back normal.

About seven years ago, I was incredibly ill - some days I was so weak and fatigued that I had to lie down and rest for a half hour after taking my morning shower because I'd become too exhausted by that simple act to have the strength to even get dressed. Also, pardon my being graphic, but my digestion was so poor that I was recognizing most of my food on the way out the other end but I was still somehow gaining weight like crazy. There were other symptoms, but those were the most alarming. Any old idiot who spent a day with me would've agreed that I was very ill.

Apparently my doctor was a special kind of idiot, because when my blood tests came back very close to normal, she deemed me perfectly healthy and encouraged me to come back for a checkup in three months if I still wasn't feeling well. WTF??

One of the limitations of Western medicine, as you and I have discovered, is the inability for doctors to recognize a patient as unhealthy if their symptoms don't fit neatly into any particular disease diagnosis and their blood tests come back as normal or near-normal.

I feel your frustration.

I'm not even going to try to guess what might be causing your symptoms or suggest anything to try. Besides heredity, the factors that affect our health (or lack of it) are what we eat and drink, how we exercise, rest, and breathe, as well as what we think. Environmental factors (lack of regular sunlight, exposure to molds, etc) can also come into play. It looks like you're very conscientious about what you eat, so that's probably not where I'd look first for a solution.

It doesn't sound like your doctor is going to be very helpful. You might get a 2nd opinion from another doctor, but unfortunately you may get the same expensive blood tests and same meaningless response. If you can find a medical doctor who is also trained as a naturopathic doctor, they seem to take a little more time and be willing to do more than just write a prescription to treat whatever they find. Don't discount "weird" alternative medicine in your quest for health - I have a chiropractor and an iridologist here that I'd honestly visit before a regular doctor if I started having unusual symptoms. I've also made incredible progress after having some energy work done.

Granted this is a fitness board, but do you do much cardio or heavy lifting? I usually feel like crap and have no energy when I'm away from the gym for more than a few days.

yeah, I lift 4 days a week, and do cardio on my off days. Ive noticed i feel the worth during the time im at work - from 8am - 4pm. After working out i do feel a hell of a lot better.

About seven years ago, I was incredibly ill - some days I was so weak and fatigued that I had to lie down and rest for a half hour after taking my morning shower because I'd become too exhausted by that simple act to have the strength to even get dressed. Also, pardon my being graphic, but my digestion was so poor that I was recognizing most of my food on the way out the other end but I was still somehow gaining weight like crazy. There were other symptoms, but those were the most alarming. Any old idiot who spent a day with me would've agreed that I was very ill.

Apparently my doctor was a special kind of idiot, because when my blood tests came back very close to normal, she deemed me perfectly healthy and encouraged me to come back for a checkup in three months if I still wasn't feeling well. WTF??

One of the limitations of Western medicine, as you and I have discovered, is the inability for doctors to recognize a patient as unhealthy if their symptoms don't fit neatly into any particular disease diagnosis and their blood tests come back as normal or near-normal.

I feel your frustration.

I'm not even going to try to guess what might be causing your symptoms or suggest anything to try. Besides heredity, the factors that affect our health (or lack of it) are what we eat and drink, how we exercise, rest, and breathe, as well as what we think. Environmental factors (lack of regular sunlight, exposure to molds, etc) can also come into play. It looks like you're very conscientious about what you eat, so that's probably not where I'd look first for a solution.

It doesn't sound like your doctor is going to be very helpful. You might get a 2nd opinion from another doctor, but unfortunately you may get the same expensive blood tests and same meaningless response. If you can find a medical doctor who is also trained as a naturopathic doctor, they seem to take a little more time and be willing to do more than just write a prescription to treat whatever they find. Don't discount "weird" alternative medicine in your quest for health - I have a chiropractor and an iridologist here that I'd honestly visit before a regular doctor if I started having unusual symptoms. I've also made incredible progress after having some energy work done.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I feel the same way everyday when i get home from work. I usually take a 20 minute nap, and still feel like hell when i wake up. But, i down some fruit, and get ready to workout.

I do plan on getting a second opinion, and have been searching for some naturopathic physicians around here.

I was just reviewing what i ate today. Maybe Im not eating enough?

Breakfast: 7:30am

- 1/2 Cup of Oatmeal

10:30am

- Banana

Lunch: 12:30

- Peanut butter sandwich on sprouted bread

4pm

Banana

Orange

1 cup of Kashi GoLean dry

6:00pm

Post workout Shake

- 2 scoops of rice protein

- water

- handful of frozen strawberries

9pm

Tempeh jambalaya

- quinoa

- sauteed red, green peppers, onion, and garlice

Peanut Butter sandwich on sprouted bread

Bowl of Kashi Golean with a splash of almond milk

Couple pieces of dark chocolate

I usually drink around 1.5 - 2 liters of water throughout the day.

I have oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon almost every morning. It doesn't hold me off very long though. Seems like a couple hours later Im either wiped out, starving, or both.

I think you are eating so little food...I also think that your blood sugar will be low during the day thats why you feel so weak and cold..

What is your weight? Did you have weight loss recently?

I think I've determined Im not eating enough while im at work from 8am to 4pm. So i'll be working on that. I checked my glucose while at work last week, and it was 59. Pretty bad, I know.

Im 5' 9" around 123lbs. I haven't had any weight loss recently that i've noticed. But, I'v also been taking creatine for the last month. Not too long ago was sitting around 118lbs.

Try eating more in the morning hours and you will be fine..

Avoid eating alone, foods with high glycaemic index as these foods make your body release more insulin and drop the blood sugar..

Also try to combine carbs with protein and fat and don't eat carbs alone(like the banana,combine it with 30gr cashews nuts for instance)..

What's the reason you don't eat more?Does it have to do with your appetite?Or do you forget to eat because of the work?

Try eating more in the morning hours and you will be fine..

Avoid eating alone, foods with high glycaemic index as these foods make your body release more insulin and drop the blood sugar..

Also try to combine carbs with protein and fat and don't eat carbs alone(like the banana,combine it with 30gr cashews nuts for instance)..

What's the reason you don't eat more?Does it have to do with your appetite?Or do you forget to eat because of the work?

Partially because I feel really full. Also, if I don't pack enough I have no access to half decent food around work.

I add protein powder to my oatmeal in the morning! I also add an oil in there (walnut, flaxseed, hazelnut, or even sesame seed oil). I also add a banana for something sweet to jump start my morning (raisins doesn't cut it with me). I then have a sprouted wheat something (between toast, English muffin, or even the new bagels they (Ezekiel or Alvarado Street Bakery) are coming out with) around 10 (10:30 maybe too long- unless you have alot of oatmeal and banana to help you make it to 10:30). I too have PBs on occasion, but I always try to have a green vegetable (snap peas lately, but celery sticks/with carrot sticks of course, raw green beans, or pepper slices are just as good). Then I have another protein shake around 2 PM, or something like a good bar loaded with seeds and nuts and fruit. And then the rest of your eating sounds good to me. I personally would not eat so much at 9 PM. You were probably trying to get caught up on the calories you needed at 2 PM at 9 PM (bodies are like that. They sit around screaming for you to eat the calories it wants. You just have to be smart and give it healthy calories!). So I agree with you on the eating more part.

I add protein powder to my oatmeal in the morning! I also add an oil in there (walnut, flaxseed, hazelnut, or even sesame seed oil). I also add a banana for something sweet to jump start my morning (raisins doesn't cut it with me). I then have a sprouted wheat something (between toast, English muffin, or even the new bagels they (Ezekiel or Alvarado Street Bakery) are coming out with) around 10 (10:30 maybe too long- unless you have alot of oatmeal and banana to help you make it to 10:30). I too have PBs on occasion, but I always try to have a green vegetable (snap peas lately, but celery sticks/with carrot sticks of course, raw green beans, or pepper slices are just as good). Then I have another protein shake around 2 PM, or something like a good bar loaded with seeds and nuts and fruit. And then the rest of your eating sounds good to me. I personally would not eat so much at 9 PM. You were probably trying to get caught up on the calories you needed at 2 PM at 9 PM (bodies are like that. They sit around screaming for you to eat the calories it wants. You just have to be smart and give it healthy calories!). So I agree with you on the eating more part.

Sounds good. Im reworking my diet based on something similar. The only reason I ate so late was because I got hung up at work, causing me to workout later in turn eating dinner late.

I felt like I ate a lot the last two days, but I was way under. Here's yesterday's breakdown:

7:30am

Oatmeal dash of sugar in the raw & cinnamon

calories: 160

protein: 6g

10:15am

shake

2 scoops nutribiotic

banana, mangos, strawberries

protein: 25g

12:30

peanut butter sandwich on sprouted bread

calories: 280?

protein: 15g

2pm

pear

4:45pm

shake

30g gemma protein

bananas, mangos, strawberries

protein: 25g

6:15pm

tempeh jambalaya with about 1/4 cup of quinoa

banana

couple pieces of alter eco dark chocolate

calories: 350?

protein: 12g

8:45pm

guiltless gourmet blue chips with black bean dip

calories: around 300

1/2 cup of kashi go lean cereal with splash of almond milk

calories: 85?

protein: 8g

11:30pm

toasted piece of sprouted bread with peanut butter

calories: 120?

protein: about 8g

I don't even think that totals 1700 calories, and only around 71g of protein. I feel like a hog though. This is going to be tough.

You need to add fats to those meals. That will be an easy way to up your calories and you won't even notice it. Throw a handful of almonds in the cereal, a Tbsp Olive Oil, Udos Oil or Flax oil to the shakes, some sunflower seeds with the pear.

It will improve your energy and overall health!

just picked up some almonds, and plan on tossing them into things. also grab some new flax seed oil. dont know how old the stuff was in the fridge. thanks for the heads up. any suggestions for a decent late night snack?

• 2 weeks later...

I feel very week lots of times, but I think it's a mental thing, and I don't sleep to well, I'm very stressed because of that fuckin school, I'm trying to be positive, it helps a lot of times, and look after the movie The Secret, and EFT will help too, it helped deal with some mental things, and when I was drinking Tahitian Noni Juice I wasn't so tired, and week, but now I don't have just enough money for everything

I feel very week lots of times, but I think it's a mental thing, and I don't sleep to well, I'm very stressed because of that fuckin school, I'm trying to be positive, it helps a lot of times, and look after the movie The Secret, and EFT will help too, it helped deal with some mental things, and when I was drinking Tahitian Noni Juice I wasn't so tired, and week, but now I don't have just enough money for everything

Say whaaaa?

Say whaaaa?

what?

hmmmmm

The Secret, I know of, from the book when it came out it was all the rager

EFT... ummm electronic fund transfers?? I have no clue!

Tahitian Noni Juice, good stuff. Though I prefer Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice, personally. It has a lot of melatonin, which helps to regulate sleep cycles and I enjoy the taste of it.

So, I also say wha? .... to the EFT comment,